What's your favorite insect?

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
I love my hissers, and will be getting more. Right now I'm looking into getting some Question Mark roaches, and I recently was introduced to the Assasin, I think I'd like to have some of those as well.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm not sure that I could pick just one favorite, but the ones I've enjoyed the most as pets are (in no particular order) mantises, assassin bugs, velvet ants, and tarantula hawks.

Marika

Arachnoangel
Archimandrita tesselata. They are big, cute and the males are funny, chasing each other.

All About Arthropods

Arachnoknight
Cockroaches, by far. From the ones I've kept, I'd say either Eurycotis decipiens, Archimandrita tesselata, or Eupolyphaga sinensis"White Eye" would be my favorite, but it's so hard to choose!:D

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
I'm not sure that I could pick just one favorite, but the ones I've enjoyed the most as pets are (in no particular order) mantises, assassin bugs, velvet ants, and tarantula hawks.
I recently developed an interest in Assasins, was it relatively easy to care for them? I've been reading that sometimes they will die without explanation, did you experience that?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Water Striders, Gerridae, for the wonderful paradox. The Tarantula Hawk - nothing quite like a naturally occurring semi psychotic alcoholic. The honey bee for geometry and honey.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I recently developed an interest in Assasins, was it relatively easy to care for them? I've been reading that sometimes they will die without explanation, did you experience that?
Yeah, sometimes - but then, the same can be said for the majority of bugs. So far the only assassins I've kept are California Bee Assassins (Apiomerus californicus) and Wheel Bugs (Arilus cristatus). The bee assassins are a little tricky - but I think that's just because they really don't like to eat anything other than bees. I've had a few that would take crickets, but they definitely do better with bees - but catching bees to feed them is kind of a pain, so I usually just bring them in for a few weeks while I'm teaching, then turn them loose again so they can catch their own bees. Last year I got a trio of wheel bug nymphs (subadult) and they molted just fine but I never did get around to trying to breed them, so I'll have to get some more this year. What I'd really like to try are some of the African Platymeris or Pystalla species! Nobody around here seems to have them, but I do see that Bugs in Cyberspace has them back in stock, so I may just have to bite the bullet and pay the shipping.

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
Yeah, sometimes - but then, the same can be said for the majority of bugs. So far the only assassins I've kept are California Bee Assassins (Apiomerus californicus) and Wheel Bugs (Arilus cristatus). The bee assassins are a little tricky - but I think that's just because they really don't like to eat anything other than bees. I've had a few that would take crickets, but they definitely do better with bees - but catching bees to feed them is kind of a pain, so I usually just bring them in for a few weeks while I'm teaching, then turn them loose again so they can catch their own bees. Last year I got a trio of wheel bug nymphs (subadult) and they molted just fine but I never did get around to trying to breed them, so I'll have to get some more this year. What I'd really like to try are some of the African Platymeris or Pystalla species! Nobody around here seems to have them, but I do see that Bugs in Cyberspace has them back in stock, so I may just have to bite the bullet and pay the shipping.
I live in Southern Ca, Yucaipa to be exact, are assasins in so cal naturally? Curious as to what bugs are native to this area as well.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Cockroaches are my favorite group of insects, but I don't know if I could pick a single species I like the best, there are just too many candidates! :D Some of my favorites would be Archiblatta hoeveni, Corydidarum pygmaea and magnifica, Pilema spp, Panchlora sp. "White", and Polyphaga saussurei, just to name a few.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I live in Southern Ca, Yucaipa to be exact, are assasins in so cal naturally? Curious as to what bugs are native to this area as well.
Yep! I live in Redlands and I find the California bee assassins in the Redlands and Yucaipa area - but only in the late spring/summer.

We have a lot of cool bugs out here - especially if you are interested in the non-insects like arachnids and myriapods.

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
Yep! I live in Redlands and I find the California bee assassins in the Redlands and Yucaipa area - but only in the late spring/summer.

We have a lot of cool bugs out here - especially if you are interested in the non-insects like arachnids and myriapods.
What areas do you utilize? There's trails out here and I was thinking of checking those out, when the weather is better of course. This weekend is supposed to give us some sunshine, was thinking of taking my daughter out for a mini hike and seeing what we could find.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
What areas do you utilize? There's trails out here and I was thinking of checking those out, when the weather is better of course. This weekend is supposed to give us some sunshine, was thinking of taking my daughter out for a mini hike and seeing what we could find.
You may have some Arenivaga sp roaches near you, if you ever find any nymphs or adult females, please collect them, as there are many species in CA that have yet to make it to the hobby and that I and several other Blatticulturists would love to keep. :)

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
:):)
You may have some Arenivaga sp roaches near you, if you ever find any nymphs or adult females, please collect them, as there are many species in CA that have yet to make it to the hobby and that I and several other Blatticulturists would love to keep. :)
I'm super new at this but of course I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for any and all critters on my Journeys. :)

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Pretty much any of the hiking trails in the area are good, particularly the ones with good plant growth - sage brush, California buckwheat, wild sunflowers, brittlebush, etc. There are some trails near Crafton College that have a good assortment of wildlife - particularly at night, during the late spring, summer, and fall (before it really cools down). I've seen everything from deer, coyotes, and owls to tarantulas, scorpions, solifugids, centipedes, owlflies, antlions, mantises, crickets, roaches, spiders, velvet ants, beetles, assorted snakes and lizards.

If you are looking for bee assassins, I usually find them on the California buckwheat when it's in bloom. The bees are attracted to the flowers, and the assassins hang out on (or under) the flower heads, waiting to ambush them. This is also the plant I usually catch my tarantula hawks on, when they come to feed in the morning before a hard day of tarantula-hunting.

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
Pretty much any of the hiking trails in the area are good, particularly the ones with good plant growth - sage brush, California buckwheat, wild sunflowers, brittlebush, etc. There are some trails near Crafton College that have a good assortment of wildlife - particularly at night, during the late spring, summer, and fall (before it really cools down). I've seen everything from deer, coyotes, and owls to tarantulas, scorpions, solifugids, centipedes, owlflies, antlions, mantises, crickets, roaches, spiders, velvet ants, beetles, assorted snakes and lizards.

If you are looking for bee assassins, I usually find them on the California buckwheat when it's in bloom. The bees are attracted to the flowers, and the assassins hang out on (or under) the flower heads, waiting to ambush them. This is also the plant I usually catch my tarantula hawks on, when they come to feed in the morning before a hard day of tarantula-hunting.
I will definitely be enjoying the local trails and seeing what I cross paths with. I love the trails up by Crafton and by Yucaipa Regional, and I have no doubt you've seen some amazing stuff out there. Hopefully we do as well!!