Whats your fav. tarantula?

Metallicaman999

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok I own no tarantulas, and they freak me out. i would like to learn about them though as i am always open to these kinds of creatures. so if you guys can express these answers about tarantulas, i would really appreciate it.

1) Name your favorite tarantula and post a picture of it and why its your fav.

2) What do you have for your tarantulas enclosure that might be helpful to other people. if you can add pictures, that'd be great.

3) How big can these things grow? i saw a tarantula that was like 10 inches long and that thing gave me a huge surprise, i thought they would be small like 4 inches.

Last edited:

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have so many favourites!
But one of my favs in my collection is:
Haplopelma minax
Here's my girl:

Why? Hmmm.. she's a big, black, fiesty tarantula. She keeps me on my toes. Eats well... Looks good! Has a "personality"

I house her in a large KK (petpal).. with 8 inches of substrate for her to burrow in. A flower pot to hide under, and an open water bowl for her to drink from. To keep up her humidity, i just over flow her dish. Normally twice a week.

She's an adult female and measures approx 5 inches.. maybe a little bit more.
Tarantula's would never be 10ft long lol The biggest one on record, i believe is 12" (1 ft). I know a lady who has a 12" female Theraphosa apophysis.. BIG spiders!

Metallicaman999

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have so many favourites!
But one of my favs in my collection is:
Haplopelma minax
Here's my girl:

Why? Hmmm.. she's a big, black, fiesty tarantula. She keeps me on my toes. Eats well... Looks good! Has a "personality"

I house her in a large KK (petpal).. with 8 inches of substrate for her to burrow in. A flower pot to hide under, and an open water bowl for her to drink from. To keep up her humidity, i just over flow her dish. Normally twice a week.

She's an adult female and measures approx 5 inches.. maybe a little bit more.
Tarantula's would never be 10ft long lol The biggest one on record, i believe is 12" (1 ft). I know a lady who has a 12" female Theraphosa apophysis.. BIG spiders!
oh damn my bad i meant "inches" i wasnt really paying attention when i typed, but yeah not 10 feet thats crazy

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
LOL! Running so fast that it looked like it had 8 legs :p

I've got so many favs tho!

My first T is also one of my favs

*digs pic out*

She's only 4".. grows to about 8" (she has been sexed via exuvium as a SHE! :D)

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
:D Mini one of mine! I got a pic of mine in EXACTLY the same pose!!! check it out !! LOL

Heather

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here is the favorite in my collection...

My little 2.5 inch (or so) T. Plumipes! I know she's not a glorious looking T, but she is delightful to watch and... just look at the home she made :eek: !!! It wraps all the way around and even has burrows underneath it all (I know the top is getting a tad dry so it doesn't look as cool as it usually does.)

I received her as a 'freebie'... and so glad that I did!

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Brilliant little T's these are :D Gorgeous little house she's made too :D

Heather

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yep on the Tap... Indeed on the taller tank... I wasn't expecting her to grow so fast! Her last molt nearly doubled her size! I rarely ever see her out for long... and when I do she usually bolts!

Or maybe I just put in too much substrate :? She is in one of those 4x4x5 inch cubes.

I worry about moving them too much (more because of the stress on them)... and the last time I moved her to this home she shot up my arm and around to my back. :eek: Not really up to wanting to move her right now. :8o

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No pics, but any Pterinochilus sp. I love my murinus. Theyrs colorful, mean, fast, easy to keep, make beautiful webs, etc.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
no pics either:wall: i have sooo many but i must say my 2 female haplopelma minax also, these ladies are sexy as can be{D jet black/evil/stunning:drool: and yeah as becky said they do have alot of personality....kind of on the mean side. i was gonna say my B.SMITHI also,19yrs old and still looking beautiful as ever,like i said ive alot so it's really hard to choose:)

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
Augacephalus junodi
Because she looks so mean, like an OBT, but shes very mellow. Shes only about 3".. maybe 3.5" Shes full grown. Shy, but beautiful.

Last edited:

kyrga

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My a. avicularia sling! She's so quirky!

Last edited:

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my Cyriopagopus sp. "blue", of course.

the species reaches about 9-10". i believe it is the largest arboreal tarantula. if not, it's one of the largest.

AlainL

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi!

My favorite species are Poecilotheria's because they are beautiful, very nice paterns on their carapace and abdomen, they are sooo fast, they eat like crazy, grow fast and such good display spiders, I used to be sooo scared of them cause of their speed and potent venom but I learn that if you respect them you will have no problem.
here's some pics of mine.
P.regalis

P.rufilata

P.formosa

P.fasciata

My second favorite are Cyriocosmus cause of their beautiful colors and crazy appetite for their small size(one of the smallest tarantula in the world).
C.elegans
colors say it all

Take care!

Alain

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
the species reaches about 9-10". i believe it is the largest arboreal tarantula. if not, it's one of the largest.
They do indeed rival P. rufilata and ornata.

Psalmopoeus irminia, as most here have heard, is my absolute favorite species. Followed closely by Tapinauchenius cupreus.

-Sean

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My favorite species of tarantula is Ceratogyrus marshalli, because of the major horn, attitude, and mass amounts of webbing it does.

I use a simple plastic shoebox as her enclosure for now.

This tarantula can get around 5-6 inches.