What's wrong!?

Geography Guy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi

I looked in my T.blondi's cage and his abdomen shrunk by like 50% over the coarse of the day????? His abdomen has been slowly getting smaller but why? He has plenty of food and he has a water dish like 2 inches away from his burrow entrance that has the same properties as a DVD except about 3 inches deep with a high humidity. What caused this huge size decrease? My H.minax is having the same problem except with a smaller water dish and slower rate of decrease.

What is going on? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi

I looked in my T.blondi's cage and his abdomen shrunk by like 50% over the coarse of the day????? His abdomen has been slowly getting smaller but why? He has plenty of food and he has a water dish like 2 inches away from his burrow entrance that has the same properties as a DVD except about 3 inches deep with a high humidity. What caused this huge size decrease? My H.minax is having the same problem except with a smaller water dish and slower rate of decrease.

What is going on? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

This is the only thing I can think of, since the temps are warming up their metabolism rate is increasing and thus they digest faster. I've never heard of a 50% shrinkage though in one day..

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well I guess that is related to the metabolic rate, what kind of preys do you give to your T's, maybe they need more nutrients, maybe are undernourished and for that reason their metabolic rate has adjusted their body, to keep energy.. :?

Geography Guy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well I guess that is related to the metabolic rate, what kind of preys do you give to your T's, maybe they need more nutrients, maybe are undernourished and for that reason their metabolic rate has adjusted their body, to keep energy.. :?
I feed 'em crickets

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
warm weather

With warmer weather here in NY now, my Ts have increased appetite and hang out waiting for food more. So you might try an additional crix, and see if the added nutrients will perk his butt up. My P. rufilata sling was a little thin during the winter, but an extra crix or 2 recently helped to fatten her back up.

Geography Guy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi

Rather then making a new thread, I'm just adding to this one.

My t.blondi is now curling up almost like the death curl but he isn't dead? He is always moving around his cage. For example I looked at him about 5 mins ago and he moved to the other side of his burrow but is still in that curl like position. What is exactly happening here?

Now onto the food. I don't see why I am having problems? I haven't starved my T or anything. Winter or summer, I always feed my T.blondi at least 10 large crickets a week and on some occasions, if I have a lot of crickets, I might feed him 5-6 crix in a day.

Cheers,

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What are yout Temp? You have a water dish in there?
Other then deyhdration from heat the only thing I can think of that would make him shrink like that is a ruputred abdomen. I have never seen a T lose weight like that.
Are you familar with what an ICU is? You might need to make one and move him.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi

Rather then making a new thread, I'm just adding to this one.

My t.blondi is now curling up almost like the death curl but he isn't dead? He is always moving around his cage. For example I looked at him about 5 mins ago and he moved to the other side of his burrow but is still in that curl like position. What is exactly happening here?

Now onto the food. I don't see why I am having problems? I haven't starved my T or anything. Winter or summer, I always feed my T.blondi at least 10 large crickets a week and on some occasions, if I have a lot of crickets, I might feed him 5-6 crix in a day.

Cheers,
My best bet is going to be dehydration. I would move it to an ICU or flip her over and drop some waterdroplets in her mouth area.

Avic_Addict

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Is there any possibility that your T's have been exposed to a chemical agent or desicant? Have you recently used any kind of household or cleaning product in the same room as you keep your T's in?

Geography Guy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What are yout Temp? You have a water dish in there?
Other then deyhdration from heat the only thing I can think of that would make him shrink like that is a ruputred abdomen. I have never seen a T lose weight like that.
Are you familar with what an ICU is? You might need to make one and move him.
He has a water dish with the same diameter of a DVD but about 3.5+ inches deep.

No, I don't know what an ICU is?

Geography Guy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Is there any possibility that your T's have been exposed to a chemical agent or desicant? Have you recently used any kind of household or cleaning product in the same room as you keep your T's in?
Nope, no air fresheners or any other type of chemical is a aloud into my Office

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No, I don't know what an ICU is?
Basically just take a container about 1.5-2x the size of the T. Put paper towels on the bottom, mist them, you could even put in a small waterbowl in the corner if you'd like, and then place the T in. Then put the container ina dark area and leave it undisturbed till tomorrow. Make sure there are plenty of air holes for good ventilation.

Geography Guy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi

I did the ICU thing and it did improve his abdomen back to its average size.

Does He/she look ok?

Also, what caused this dehydration problem? I feed him I think enough crix, he has a water dish bigger or as big as him, I have him at an 80% humidity. What am I doing wrong?

Cheers,

Last edited:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
He is looking ok. Not the best ever but ok. It's looking a little dry in there. Blondi like it a tad bit on the wet side. I would soak the substrate and allow it to dry out between soakings. Are you using any sort of heat source?

Geography Guy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
He is looking ok. Not the best ever but ok. It's looking a little dry in there. Blondi like it a tad bit on the wet side. I would soak the substrate and allow it to dry out between soakings. Are you using any sort of heat source?
it was a tad bit dry in there but I just misted him. I am using no heat source but I do have 2 heat lamps on my 2 snakes in the same room

cheers,

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nothing wrong with misting, its just that you really need more water then you can get with misting.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
what is wrong with misting?

Cheers,
Nothing, you can mist if you want, but it evaporates way to fast. Soaking the substrate will provide more humidity and longer. I'd give the T a bigger waterdish then what you currently have as well, and start feeding it some bigger prey like certain species of roaches.

Geography Guy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nothing, you can mist if you want, but it evaporates way to fast. Soaking the substrate will provide more humidity and longer. I'd give the T a bigger waterdish then what you currently have as well, and start feeding it some bigger prey like certain species of roaches.
The problem with roaches is that I don't know of any stores in my area that sell em? The only roaches I have ever seen were at the science center. My parents don't like ordering stuff so I have to buy them in my area. Could I feed my T a pinkie?

Cheers,