What's wrong with this Flat Rock?

ScorpyDude

Arachnopeon
Hello 8 legged friends. This is my first post ever after being lurking and subscribed for months.

Long story short,
A scorpion was something that used to belong to my worst nightmares. Knowing this, my son last Spring showed up to my office with an Asian Forest as in a fear factor episode. Fast Forward to present time, 3 scorpions now call mi office their home including a B. Jacksoni.

I saw a documentary and the flat rock scorpion got my attention. Lucky for me a month later I spotted one at my local reptile store -they say they don't receive flat rocks too often- and bought it. My concern is this lump on the side of his/her belly. It wasn't like that when I bought it. It's been like that for the last 2.5 to 3 months. Other than that he/she is quite alert. It is quite large, I feed her 2-3 med/large crickets a week.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Attachments

Last edited:

ScorpionObsession

Arachnosquire
I've never seen that before on a scorpion, but it looks like some kind of deformity. but if it came out of nowhere maybe it's some kind of growth like a tumor. or she is gravid and just formed weird.

These are just guesses. and could be wrong.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I agree that does look abnormal. I too would be concerned about that.

Just because it is "eating normally" at the moment does not mean it is in the clear. Even a mycosis suffeerer will still try to eat until it gets too far gone. That's how nature built them.

I too agree it looks "tumor like" in the way it appears. It could be an injury that the exoskeleton healed over but is not blocked and thus filling with fluid.

ScorpyDude

Arachnopeon
Thanks so much to both of you for the input. I'm starting up with scorpions so hopefully I'll be around more often. I have this one in a 10 gallon tank as seen on the picture. Can I bring this flat rock a companion without problems or would I need a larger enclosure?

Attachments

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Could be an internal injury that didn't heal properly. They pinch each other when kept in the same container and swells up but often goes back down over many months, but I've never seen something that large poking out before, don't have much of a clue what's going on there.