What's Wrong with P. Murinus??!?!?

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey everyone, a few weeks ago I got a 2.5 inch Usambara Orange. I set up a 5.5 gallon with some ecoearth and a flower pot for shelter.
Anyways, I felt the setup was pretty appropriate for the species, but for the last few weeks all he's been doing is walking on the glass and hudling up in the corners all cramped up. WHAT THE HELL IS HE DOING THIS FOR?! What can I change? Should I try bark chips instead? I'm kind of confused.

Thanks for the help gang.

maxident213

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Don't try bark chips...... Ecoearth should be fine.

The first two things that occur to me are, if it's staying up on the glass, your substrate may be a bit too moist for its liking. Apart from that, constant pacing around the tank could be indicative of a mature male T. My P. murinus was the exact same way, wandering around constantly, looking for a girlfriend. 2.5" is small for a mature male but not unheard of.

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, I doubt the bugger is fully grown, and they did say it's a probable adolescent female, but they werent totally sure. I suppose I'll try further drying the ecoearth. Thanks.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
is it feeding ok ? and keep the ecoearth dry i do not think it can be a mature male as you have said 2.5 ? i do not see my one a lot apart from feeding time :drool: :drool: :} :} the rest of the time its just tips of legs:D :rolleyes: ---phil

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Much better. I just took him out of his tank and unpacked all the ecoearth, blwo dried it, and added some dried up wood and bark for a foundation for his beautiful webs, haha. He seems much happier, and less arboreal than before ;)

I always new these guys didn't like moisture, but I had no idea they were this sensative. I mean, he has a mesh screen on top of his tank, so it's not muggy. Whereas my H. Gigas is in a more enclosed 7 gallon and she LOVES the dampness.

Thank again guys, I hope the little Usambara gets comfortable again, I just put him in the newly revised cage and I think he's a little scared. I hope I see some webs soon. Cheers.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
no, don't try bark chips - that's not an appropriate substrate for any t. earth is fine for this species, as long as it is dry. maybe your obt hangs out on the walls because she hates moist feet.

edit: uh, too late... well, at least he's happy now. you should see my grammostolas after i change the substrate. if it is only the slightest bit damp, they all turn arboreal.

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Great news. Since I dried up and redecorated the Usambara's cage a few hours ago, she has already webbed up a small funnel in one of the cornerds of the cage. She's just sitting in it relaxing. Hopefully she'll get to work overnight and make the whole think webbed up, haha.

Giantsfan24

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was going to ask you if when she was going arboreal if she had webbed up anything. Mine has created an arboreal web and it might be because the bed-a-beast is still moist. I kinda hate to destroy the web just to dry out the substrate.

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, she tried to make a few webs, but nothing intricate came out and she ended up just huddling in the corner. Luckily she's doing much better now and she's making her webs as she should be, on the ground.