What's wrong with my tarantula?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
A.seemanni like it a bit more humid from what I've read, you could make her substrate more moist by pouring water directly on it.
She won't be eating for a long time, but keep her waterdish full.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
That enclosure is... not great.

This is a burrowing species, so it needs at least 2x the diagonal leg span with substrate. It also needs way more floor space, about 2x wide by 3x long. And has been brought up, it's way too dry in there. This is a humid species and needs moisture to thrive.

In short, worry less about it not eating and more about it being comfortable.

SpiderQueenLizzy

Arachnopeon
When T's are THAT plump, many won't eat for a while. Their "I'm full and can't eat anymore" phase can last for months. Your T could probably go another 2-3 months and be perfectly healthy :D You have a great tarantula there, beautiful A. seemani. Wouldn't worry about her eating. Until her abdomen is 2-3 times smaller than the carapace, she can be just fine :D
Hope your T does eat though. Hate it when mine go on hunger strikes ;) What was your feeding schedule before she started to fast?
I always fed my slings once a day. They grew up fast until now, they seem to grow slower.

SpiderQueenLizzy

Arachnopeon
That enclosure is... not great.

This is a burrowing species, so it needs at least 2x the diagonal leg span with substrate. It also needs way more floor space, about 2x wide by 3x long. And has been brought up, it's way too dry in there. This is a humid species and needs moisture to thrive.

In short, worry less about it not eating and more about it being comfortable.
Note taken, thank you for the advice.☺

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I always fed my slings once a day. They grew up fast until now, they seem to grow slower.
Yep, that sounds about right. Many people will move to feeding juvies between every 1-3 weeks. Personally, I like to do once every two weeks for the fatter T's, but that's just me ;)