Whats wrong with my scorpians eye?

AshtonDraws

Arachnopeon
I have a Asian forest scorpion. His name is Lucifer and ive had him for almost over a year. Ive noticed he tends to not hunt his food but I have to tong feed him. One day I took him to sexed and my boyfriend, while sitting looking him on our way home, said "He has one red eye!". we thought it was cool. Tonight I was filming him eating and I kept zooming in and saw what his red eye looked like up close. Is he blind? Can anyone let me know what exactly is wrong?
View attachment IMG_6328.MP4

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
I don't think anything is wrong... it could be the way the light is shining on the eyes. It looks like both eyes have that red in them.

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
yeah I just thought that one looked worse than the other.
One of its eyes does seem to look worse than the other. It could be blind, but even then it has the small lateral eyes on the front sides of the carapace that it uses for light detection as well. It shouldn't affect the scorpion, as it uses its sensory hairs (setae) to find and capture its prey rather than sight. Also this species is a sit and wait predator, doesn't actively go hunting for its prey.

AshtonDraws

Arachnopeon
One of its eyes does seem to look worse than the other. It could be blind, but even then it has the small lateral eyes on the front sides of the carapace that it uses for light detection as well. It shouldn't affect the scorpion, as it uses its sensory hairs (setae) to find and capture its prey rather than sight. Also this species is a sit and wait predator, doesn't actively go hunting for its prey.
Yeah I figured on the hunting part. Which is why I tong feed him. Thank you so much!

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
The scorpion should be fine.
They have bad eyesight and don't use visual input to take down a prey anyway.
Detecting vibrations works best if you sit still.
Like @Dr SkyTower says, they're sit and wait predators.

FrankiePinchinatti

Arachnoknight
I wonder if it might also be possible that it is about to molt. I haven't paid that close attention, but I'd imagine the shell covering the eyes probably becomes more opaque as the new shell is developing underneath it.

HaydnR

Arachnopeon
I wonder if it might also be possible that it is about to molt. I haven't paid that close attention, but I'd imagine the shell covering the eyes probably becomes more opaque as the new shell is developing underneath it.

Possibly, its visible in snakes when they shed it may be the same in scorpions