Whats wrong with my scorpian?

Embers To Ashes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, I am sorry to report that she has died :(I have never had a pet that died so close to me perchusing it. I am very sad as yesterday the largest emp at the store, and my favorate snake died as well. I wish I knew exactaly what the problem was. My other one is still doing fine.

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
Well, I am sorry to report that she has died :(I have never had a pet that died so close to me perchusing it. I am very sad as yesterday the largest emp at the store, and my favorate snake died as well. I wish I knew exactaly what the problem was. My other one is still doing fine.
That must have been pretty bad, sorry for your loss.:(

jgod790

Arachnoknight
Well I really hate to be "discouraging" but honestly, if the tail is just kinda "lagging" behind, that is a good indication that the scorpion will die soon. Im not trying to discourage you, Im just giving you my honest opinion based on my experience. As was mentioned, they cant be TO old, because the stinger is not red/maroon. It looks about 3 years old. With emperor scorpions, I really recommend getting them while there young. The brighter/whiter the stinger color, the younger. Check the substrate for mites, as that is one of the number one killers of tropical tarantulas and scorpions. The mites thrive in the same living conditions as do the tropical scorpions and tarantulas. Make sure you remove ALL uneaten food, and remove any remains, such as a leg or cricket head or something. If possible, clean out any fecal matter you might find. Give the scorpion an opportunity to dig and burrow. Try to maintain a temperature of around 80, and humidity around 70. And keep the water dish full at all times. And keep water dish clean as possible. Now remember, emperor scorpions can be VERY lazy and sluggish, they all have there own personality. But lagging tails is usually NOT a good sign. Just keep it in the best conditions you possibly can, keep it well fed and well hydrated, and if it dies, you did your best, dont be discouraged. Chances are, if the person selling it kept them under a black light, he was an idiot and didnt care for them properly, and it is NOT your fault the scorpion died. So if it does die, dont be discouraged, buy another one from a better source. I recommend buying them when there 1 year old. There small and cute, and A LOT more active and get along better. And no special care is needed, there juveniles, not babies. So take care of them as you would a fully grown. And if you get a tank thats big enough, they are VERY social species under the right conditions. Just make sure the enclosure is big enough, and have one extra hide or retreat, then scorpions. So if you have 4 scorpions, have 5 or 6 little caves or burrows. But if you get juveniles, they will all share one hide. But adults typically want there own space. Well good luck, and PLEASE do not be discouraged if this one dies on you, like I said, its very possible the seller was an idiot and its his fault not yours. And remember to check often for mites, they are attracted to the enclosure because of the temp/humidity. And they feed on the cricket remains and fecal matter, so keep it as clean as possible to reduce mites. And keep the room the enclosure is in clean as well. This will reduce the chance of mites. Good luck, and get juveniles next time!

---------- Post added at 05:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 AM ----------

Im really sorry, I didnt read that she died till after I posted. Sorry to hear about your snake to. When pets die, its a lot harder then people who dont have pets, can, or ever will understand. Go get 3 or 4 juvenile emperors, and put them in a 20 gallon tank all together. And take care of them right, and you will have your own colony for at least 5 years strong.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
with the temps that low and drinking water present all the time, I don't think dehydration was a big factor in this whole story. You have been keeping it too cold, like already pointed out by others. If it keeps dragging the metasoma in a horizontal manner, it is a sign of illness and it will probably not live for very long anymore.
Like also pointed out, start keeping it the right way and the animal might recover...