What's wrong with my P.Imperator?

MalevolentScorp

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hello,

Lately I've noticed my largest (and I am guessing oldest) p.imperator is not acting as active as she was. Her name is "Big Bertha". I have two other scorpions, a smaller male named Pee wee and another female named Jabby. Awesome names, eh? Well, I noticed she isn't as active as the other two and hardly ever comes out of her den to explore, and hasn't been taking food. I haven't seen her drink either. She's rather pudgy, but I don't think I have overfed her.

I hope she's not sick or on the verge of dying, I've only had her for a few months!

MalevolentScorp

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Does that partain to her being not as active? She hardly comes out of the den anymore.

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Her tail is 'up' and not straight out that's good (straight out and lethargic is a bad sign) But I would say 'from the pic' she looks good.

I had a female that plumped up over several months and eventually died of old age that never gave birth and was not gravid.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
eh they differ in personality. I have some that spend months underground.

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Does that partain to her being not as active? She hardly comes out of the den anymore.
Most emperors stay in their hides all day long and come out at night, I had some that buried themselves in for weeks and I dug them out to see if they were okay (they were) These guys have the nickname "pet hole" for a reason, you don't get to see them too often

MalevolentScorp

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, I found that out. I'm just used to her clanking on the glass all night long, I don't think she is gravid either, even though there is a male in the enclosure. I feed them at night, the other two readily take their crickets, but she just pushes them away.

MissConnie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My grrrl did that a few weeks back. refused food! for two weeks and then last week and this week she took more then her fair share!
Maybe she just isnt hungry and sometimes my grrrl doesnt come out...but saying that since shes eaten again shes come out more often. Her time to come out is 11:20...she has her own little going out time!

Maybe she just isnt hungry and wants to stay at home.

not very helpful of me I know but for a while I worried about Stingy *yeah I have cool names too* :p

Australis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lol...
Think of it as a car...when u pump a full tank in...it will last u for quite a long while...

So does ur eight legged fren...so if u stuff it with food till its really reached its maximum capacity, it will take a very long while before it can turn the food into some pile of you know wat i mean...:D

Sometimes can take up to 1 month...mine went for a fast for 1-2 weeks...den it went back gorging itself ;) 8 legged pigs

Skyswiftwing

Arachnopeon
Lol...
before it can turn the food into some pile of you know wat i mean...:D
Akward kinda question. Im thinking of getting a P.Imp for my first scorpion.. and I never really thought of this but since you brought it up. How do they go about doing thier business? What kind of clean up will be necessary?

thanks =D

Rosenkreuz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Akward kinda question. Im thinking of getting a P.Imp for my first scorpion.. and I never really thought of this but since you brought it up. How do they go about doing thier business? What kind of clean up will be necessary?

thanks =D
Scorpion feces is a whitish substance (their anus is between the telson and the last segment of their tail). You don't need to worry about cleanup like you might with a hamster.

Rosenkreuz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I keep looking for poop...nothing happened yet! {D
they clearly not ready!
I never noticed it with mine until the first time I changed the substrate...then you notice a whitish powdery type substance mixed in, and smeared along the edges of the tank.

MissConnie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
wait a minute! nope...ive actually seen their poop! for some reason I thought it was either "strange mold in tank or the substrate had gone...white and...strange"

it wasnt on the side, was on the "floor"...but either way...they already done it and Ive not know! :? DUH CONNIE! :8o

MissConnie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Not that I should be excited but I found more this morning. YAY SCORP POOP! :rolleyes:

I have heard conflicting responses talking to shops on when I should change the substrate. Mine havent had a clean out yet! I spot clean! *not that any food comes out as its been eaten* and Im always poop removing.
I go by smell though! I sniff the place!
But im thinking about cleaning them out on saturday since I will be going away soon and if they need cleaning out like mass production of poop, my fiance will have a moan if he has to clean them out...

But as I havent given a decent enough answer...the people will better understanding and information will answer

xxxxxx

BadBikaDamo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the response, but now I have another question =D. How often should the substrate be changed?
That's a personal thing, I do mine about every 3 months if it looks fine, I've got a couple of isopods (woodlice) in each tank to clean up any spare bits of food lying around. To be honest, I don't think they even need cleaning every 3 months.

Damo.

MalevolentScorp

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Not often, I've heard once or maybe twice a year. But, in some instances you'll have to, for instance if mold grows in the habitat remove your animal and clean the habitat as soon as possible. The mold can kill your pet. Cleaning it frequently will stress your pet out as well.:eek: