Whats wrong with my emperor?!

cannabeast

Arachnosquire
hes been so slow and sluggish for about a week or 2. he doesnt act very healthy.. what do i do!? i thought he might be molting but does it really take this long? theres some pictures to help, although not so good quality. these pics were all taken in the last 15 minutes.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Perkele, its hard to see from those pictures but i really wonder how you keep 80-90% humidty in that enclosure? And why on earth are you using sawdust:mad: omg:wall:

Vidaro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It doesnt look mature yet so its possible its in premolt, ive never experienced a scorpion molt yet so i cant say for sure (all mine were bought as adults..). Also change the substrate asap. wood scraps are not a good idea cause it offers nothing to your pet also (might be wrong here) some pine trees are natural pest repelents so it could also potentially harm ur scorpion.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The Pandinus imperator comes from the rainforrests and needs aprox 75-90% humidity. They also need a very thick layer of peat (or similar) so they can dig a deep burrow.

cannabeast

Arachnosquire
hmm. its like an inch of hamster substrate to keep moisture in, on top of marbles rocks and stuff. im spraying about 2 or 3 times a day. yeah the pictures look really bad, but from the side he looks clearish and like a molt shell really.. anyone ever seen them get like this before? im really worried when i poke at him he barely moves. hes not trying to hide very well in the past few days, hell come out and sit around all day. was thinking maybe somebody could verify if hes trying to molt by looking at the distance between the lines on his back and color shade. ill get on that peat asap. and get rid of that hamster crap. didnt think it would be that big of a deal to him

:(

Last edited:

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
hmm. its like an inch of hamster substrate to keep moisture in, on top of marbles rocks and stuff. im spraying about 2 or 3 times a day. yeah the pictures look really bad, but from the side he looks clearish and like a molt shell really.. anyone ever seen them get like this before? im really worried when i poke at him he barely moves. hes not trying to hide very well in the past few days, hell come out and sit around all day. was thinking maybe somebody could verify if hes trying to molt by looking at the distance between the lines on his back and color shade. ill get on that peat asap. and get rid of that hamster crap. didnt think it would be that big of a deal to him

:(
If they cant burrow it will cause a huge amount of stress and that can in some cases be fatal.
Why on this earth did you put an inch of hamster substrate when they actually need 15-20cm of substate like peat or coco hummus??? Have you read any caresheets at all?

Jorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If they cant burrow it will cause a huge amount of stress and that can in some cases be fatal.
Why on this earth did you put an inch of hamster substrate when they actually need 15-20cm of substate like peat or coco hummus??? Have you read any caresheets at all?
Agreed! Please get that emp on at least 4-5 inches of DAMP coco fiber or peat. These are forest/humidity-critical species that love to burrow. I'm certain he'll do much better in a revised setup. Keep us posted.

Jeff

Treynok

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Get him off that "hamster" bedding for sure. That stuff is usually pine shavings which will be fatal to your scorpion. Sadly it may be too late but you definitely need to get him off of it. If it is pine he will die if you keep him on it.

SandKing

Arachnosquire
poor scorp.i think it acted that way bcoz it was stress out from the substrate you used.

cannabeast

Arachnosquire
yeah he's dead now. neighbor called and said hes dead before i could even get home and change it :(

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
yeah he's dead now. neighbor called and said hes dead before i could even get home and change it :(
Sad thing, but you can always start all over if you like scorpions. I would like top recomend you Heterometrus spp. witch are big asian forrest scorpions similar care to Pandinus imperator. I you want to try dryer habitat you have the Hadogenes spp. or perhaps Mesobuthus martensii (Venom 3/5)

Jorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree with Falk.... try a Hadogenes paucidens. Plenty of great care information on the board (do a quick search). Best of luck.

Jeff

ButhidaeBomb

Cant Re-Member
Old Timer
its early as heck in the morning right now so i didnt have time to read all of the above replies. the one i did glance at said you were useing hamster substrate to keep in moisture. i assume that would either be aspen on pine shavings. i can tell you from experience with snakes that aspen or pine shaving will molt really really fast when damp or wet. yes i also know pine is toxic to snakes...im just saying.
dont use those beddings for any scorps. many reasons. they wont hold a burrow at all and they mold are the main reasons to avoid it.
sorry to hear he died. just use that as a learning experience. i personally dont keep emps because i think they are high maintenance.
whatever the case....dont use that substrate. theres a reasons the bag said "for hamster, gerbils, and other small animals". scorpions are small but they are not included. lol.
top of the morning to you all but now i must go to work. :(