What's wrong with my baby?

Loveducksurprise

Arachnopeon
I'm not sure what's going on with my scorpion and dont know who to ask for help! Happy I found this cause looks like there's lots of experts and experience here. I'm not sure if its male or female but definitely isnt pregnant. I was thinking it's just obese but I've taken all the crickets out of his tank and haven't given anything for about 3 weeks and no change. (Although I have seen a few baby mealie worms in his tank just yesterday so maybe been eating those still?) I live in a very dry climate... could it be that it is having a hard time molting? See photo. I'm not used to see so much of a scorpions meat under the armor.

Attachments

sasker

Arachnoprince
Well, first off don't feed more than your scorpion can eat. Life crickets in your enclosure are not a good thing so you made the right call by removing them. If your scorp is going to molt, crickets could be a danger during this vulnerable moment.

How do you know your scorpion is not gravid (pregnant)? Did you buy it as a baby scorpion? If you bought it as an adult and if it is a female she might have mated in the wild.
Your scorpion is either about to give birth or about to molt. Either way, if it is refusing food, don't feed it. I don't think you need to worry too much. However, it looks a bit dry in the enclosure for this species. Perhaps it is better to dampen (at least a part of) the enclosure.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
That substrate is all wrong. Too dry and there is no need for the little stones. Keep the scorpion on moist crushed coconut fiber (e.g. Coco-Husk or Eco-Earth) or moist peat moss (e.g. Reptisoil) between 4-6" deep. Your scorpion probably entered premolt.