Whats wrong with my B smithi

Jsav209

Arachnopeon
I know its normal for T's to fast for a while but its been 2 solid months.
Spun a web matt over 50% of its area and since then she/he barely moves, though active when handeling.

I have it in a divided 20 Gal terrarium with a rose hair and figure its close to a molt but maybe the presence of another T is to much stress, i dont know.

Thinking maybe i should place her in her own critter keeper until she molts but again i dont want to put too much stress on her/him.

any info would be greatly appreciated.

Temp 78 Humid 71

Attachments

Last edited:

spidermania

Arachnopeon
She looks great to me. Nothing looks wrong, and your setup sounds ideal. Best of luck !

Jsav209

Arachnopeon
moulting

Thanks for your fast responses, and for setting my mind at ease, though should i expect a moult soon?

Can anyone Tell if its m/f? I cant see any hooks on "her" pedipalps so???

Last edited:

jonnyquong

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for your fast responses, and for setting my mind at ease, though should i expect a moult soon?

You would see bulbs on the pedipalps, (which aren't there) and hooks on the first pair of legs (which aren't there) if it were a MATURE male.
I only sex from a molt so someone else will have to chime in on guessing that.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Well for starters, that enclosure is WAY too high. If your T climbed and fell, there is a big chance it could rupture it's abdomen and die. If you are going to keep it in that you will need to add substrate all the way up to the point if your Ts front legs are touching the top then the back legs should be able to touch the substrate or a few inches away. same goes for all your spiders.

Also, how long have you had your tank split like that? What is it made of? Could you post pics of the top?

That divided tank looks like there could be a possibility of one of your Ts getting to the other side and eating/injuring the other. Post more pics.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well for starters, that enclosure is WAY too high. If your T climbed and fell, there is a big chance it could rupture it's abdomen and die. If you are going to keep it in that you will need to add substrate all the way up to the point if your Ts front legs are touching the top then the back legs should be able to touch the substrate or a few inches away. same goes for all your spiders.
This x 10000.

It's crucial that there be a decent amount of substrate. The bigger they are, the harder they fall.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
That's a female based on your ventral pic.
Yes you must add more substrate, which may necessitate the removal of your (packing tape?) divider and seperate enclosures. Actually you should do that regardless. Stop handling her for now as well, as she may be in premolt.

The behavior is normal.

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've read you shouldn't use dividers. Put her in her own enclosure.

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Your Smithi is behaving normally, but your tank is not the greatest like previously stated. You could probably sell/trade your glass tank for a two or three Kritter keepers? Bigger isn't always better with T tanks. She is really pretty, you will enjoy watching you her grow up some more.

Jsav209

Arachnopeon
Asap

Thanks for the heads up guys, I will be transporting them into a couple of critter keepers I have set aside. I almost made the mistake if dividing another 20 gal into three.

But do you think i should i wait until post moult, or just get them seperated ASAP?

Also I plan on getting a goliath in the future, would the 20 gal be suitable for it, or how about a king baboon, Ive heard 10 gal and 15 to 20 as well...

Thanks again.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the heads up guys, I will be transporting them into a couple of critter keepers I have set aside. I almost made the mistake if dividing another 20 gal into three.

But do you think i should i wait until post moult, or just get them seperated ASAP?

Also I plan on getting a goliath in the future, would the 20 gal be suitable for it, or how about a king baboon, Ive heard 10 gal and 15 to 20 as well...

Thanks again.
As long as it's not in the process of molting when you move it, it should be fine.

Just do it carefully and then leave them be in their new homes to get acclimated.

A T. blondi would do just fine in a 20, if it is an adult. If it's a juvie or a sling, then... no.

King Baboons do well in 10 gallon.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Change the setup, a big tank with just a piece of corkbark and 1" of substrate is not good. You should put in atleast 5" of substrate and if you are going to use a big tank make sure you have som roots/branches, plants and not so much open spaces.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Fill it 1.5 times the leg span from the top with substrate. Dividing the tank w/ plexi glass is an option but is only completly fail proof if you have seperate lids and no gaps to crawl through. And not to mention the lids must be secured with latches of some form. Building cages can be fun if you have the time and money.

I also agree with hobo that its a female. Post a better vent pic just to be sure. B. smithi are very easy to sex at that size.

Jsav209

Arachnopeon
I know I said i wasnt going to do it, but i just couldnt help myself.
I took another 20 gal and yes i divided it into three sections. I used some strong cardboard and added a background to them, 2 walls seperating each section, with absolutely no gaps with items on top until i can get some sort of latches going on.

I am excited to say that I recieved my P. Irminia from Doug today, Thanks so much she is beautiful, right now she is hiding out at the bottom. I know its sort of a big area for her but she has pleanty of hiding spaces, i taped off a good 75% of the screen to trap in some humidity. Here are some pics.

Attachments

Last edited:

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Have you done any research on splitting a tank? Cardboard wouldn't be a suitable divider, because Ts can even chew through metal screen and I don't think cardboard will accomplish the task safely. You are more likely to end up with a fat spider and a missing one. I understand having a large tank and wanting to be able to put more Ts in it, but honestly your set-up does not look wise, at all. Dividing the tank can be done, but I think a trip back to the drawing board is needed.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Have you done any research on splitting a tank? Cardboard wouldn't be a suitable divider, because Ts can even chew through metal screen and I don't think cardboard will accomplish the task safely. You are more likely to end up with a fat spider and a missing one. I understand having a large tank and wanting to be able to put more Ts in it, but honestly your set-up does not look wise, at all. Dividing the tank can be done, but I think a trip back to the drawing board is needed.
+1

You were already warned of the dangers. Get them their own enclosures and save a split tank for later when you've got the experience and materials, and have done your research.

On top of that, you still don't have enough substrate.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I am glad you like the new P. irminia! :D I agree with the posters about the substrate level for the B. smithi and dividing the tank properly. It should be done with plexiglass. When i did my first split tank i used plywood wrapped in saran wrap so it didnt molt or get wet. Its better than cardboard anyway. If your using a screen lid put some heavy weights on it to hold it down. Thats my advice for doing a cheap but managable split while you save up for plexiglass, hinges and latches. Best of luck with your new girl! :)

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Another vote for major improvements. Arboreals do best in multi section tanks if the tank is put on the side so the individual plexie doors open from the front rather then top. Helps prevent them from bolting up.