What's up with Ceratogyrus venom

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
I've noticed that every prekilled mealworm that I feed to my C. sanderi becomes red after the spider is done eating it (it is a small spiderling and doesn't eat it whole)
This wouldn't really fascinate me that much, but this is the only spider I have that makes mealworms change colour.. All other become blackish just as dead mealies normally would.. At first I thought that the venom potency is the culprit, but I have many many OWs but none turn their worms red o_O

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Interesting, maybe it has to do with the digestive fluids that are braking down the mealworm. I've never seen any prey items change colour during feeding, although at times they turn to mush and fall apart.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
Interesting, maybe it has to do with the digestive fluids that are braking down the mealworm. I've never seen any prey items change colour during feeding, although at times they turn to mush and fall apart.
Yeah digestive juices have to be the culprit, but it's literally only my C. sanderi that makes mealworms dark red o_O

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Yeah digestive juices have to be the culprit, but it's literally only my C. sanderi that makes mealworms dark red o_O
Try and get a pic next time you feed, would be cool to see what your seeing. For all we know Ceratogyrus could be far more potent then we realize, we don't know much on the matter.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
It's because of their sucking stomach. That's what it looks like when a mealworm looses its soul. Crickets don't change colour because everyone knows that those stinky demons don't have one.

Last edited:

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
I've seen crickets turn a reddish pink color. Usually when the T kills it but doesn't eat.