Whats under my whip scorpion?

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
Hmmm.... how to answer this question? A good responder should consider the audience.

For example, if you were a smoke-and-mirrors astrologer, I would scold you for trying to take advantage of my relative ignorance in this subject. I know that Scorpio is one of the signs of the Zodiac, but I'm pretty sure that there is no 'whip scorpio.' Nice try.

If you were my [American] football teammate in the locker room, I would say, "Dude! It's your girlfriend!!! You need to watch what your pets are doing behind your back! Ouch. It has to hurt that she chose an arachnid over you!"

Well, you are a marine biologist, so maybe I would be cheeky and tell you that it's called "land." These are land creatures. You might be an expert on life inhabiting ~71% of earth's surface, but there is that other ~29% of solid stuff that we can walk on, and I guess that part of our planet will just remain a mystery to you.

But here are the real problems: I can't see much in that photo, and I really don't know what they are.
You are European and an arachnology major, so any answer of mine will not be sophisticated enough for you.
And you will have been far more than sufficiently clever enough to Google 'Thelyphonida eggs' to compare with what you're seeing.

After all that, I'm just going to say that they are eggs. If they are indeed eggs, then I'm correct that they were eggs. If they aren't eggs, then I was correct when I told you that I really don't know.

I am very sorry to have been useless to you. I hope someone else can help. I'm all out of ideas. Good luck 🌈

Last edited:

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
The eggs usually count in the dozens and that is just the side of one so either it's a deformed brood sac, the others turned black and dead, or you just got a picture of the side of one egg.

Hmmm.... how to answer this question? A good responder should consider the audience.
There are many times I answer and the original poster tells me I'm wrong or some random person disagrees with extreme vitriol. Of course this is true sometimes because I don't have all the information, but mostly it's because no good deed goes unpunished.

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
There are many times I answer and the original poster tells me I'm wrong or some random person disagrees with extreme vitriol. Of course this is true sometimes because I don't have all the information, but mostly it's because no good deed goes unpunished.
Well, I just recommended one of your excellent books to someone, so I'm getting my just reward here that you're helping me out when I obviously have no idea what to say to this person. 👍

myrmecophile

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Not sure what was going on with the first answer. But anyway the image is not clear enough to tell for sure what it is. Although it may be an egg, my first thought was a parasite of some sort.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Not sure what was going on with the first answer. But anyway the image is not clear enough to tell for sure what it is. Although it may be an egg, my first thought was a parasite of some sort.
It could be a fly larva on a wild-caught animal, especially if there's nothing under the abdomen. If it is, it already hollowed out the opisthosoma.

Turnthelightsoff32

Arachnopeon
The eggs usually count in the dozens and that is just the side of one so either it's a deformed brood sac, the others turned black and dead, or you just got a picture of the side of one egg.
I think you might be right, it doesn't look like any parasite I've ever seen on arachnids and as far as I know its not wild caught, idk what to do if it is a deformed or dead brood sac.

Attachments

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah I think it might be, now the question is, is this dangerous to her health, how can I help her. I've never had experience with a dead egg Sac before and I'm scared for her health
Leave it alone, it will fall off. If you pull it off she is much more likely to die.