What's this?

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
looks like some kind of Myrmarachne sp.. maybe formicaria, not sure on its native habitat though. im pretty sure its around your area
An ant mimic spider.. from the family Salticidae
Then again i could be far off

alkarlosse

Arachnopeon
That's it, indeed. A wonderful creature and a great example of evolution :)

Take care of it :)

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Are you sure it is a Salticidae? Many families commonly mimic ants, including Clubionidae. I don't see the huge AME that would show it to be a Salticid...

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So its not an ant?
no. it is an ant mimicking spider! the spider looks like an ant because it eats ants, or it borrows the ants' reputation so other predators will leave it alone, or maybe for another reason

VERY COOL!

the first or second pair of legs is adapted to be held to look like little ant antenna. the body segments are adapted to look like three body segments (like and insect) instead of two like the spider really has.

man, that is neat!

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
you found it hanging from the ceiling from silk? someone better give that little guy some lessons on ant mimicking :embarrassed:

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Are you sure it is a Salticidae? Many families commonly mimic ants, including Clubionidae. I don't see the huge AME that would show it to be a Salticid...
That might be so, but if it is indeed myrmarachne, then it is salticidae..
Thats my workings, hehe:)

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Myrmarachne females have very flattend chelicerae, which this specimen does not. M. formicaria is native to Europe but has been introduced into the U.S. Plus, Myrmarachne, like all salticids have very distinct AME which should be easily seen in this photo, but are not.

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd be willing to bet Zodariidae or possibly Oonopidae, maybe even the Corrinidae genus Myrmecotypus.

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ahh, well il keep hold of that lil info from now:) I did say that i wasnt sure of where they were from

many thanks!:worship:

KUJordan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I know it's very difficult to see the AME's on this little fella' from the angle the picture was taken. If we could get a better pic of its face then we could easily confirm or reject Salticidae. Aren't Salticid's AMEs (on ant mimickers) very well camouflaged with the rest of the cephalothorax- to where you really can only see their shape instead of the average one's eyes that are very reflective?

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
oh come'on look at the pedipalps, its way too bulky and looks like hairy, it is a salticid.

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I know it's very difficult to see the AME's on this little fella' from the angle the picture was taken. If we could get a better pic of its face then we could easily confirm or reject Salticidae. Aren't Salticid's AMEs (on ant mimickers) very well camouflaged with the rest of the cephalothorax- to where you really can only see their shape instead of the average one's eyes that are very reflective?
http://www.smugmug.com/keyword/all/mimicking#105010251
http://www.pbase.com/gehyra/image/33574117
http://www.pbase.com/larena/image/69150772

Most ant mimicking salticids have very apparent AME's as shown in the pictures I linked too above.

oh come'on look at the pedipalps, its way too bulky and looks like hairy, it is a salticid.
Bulky and hairy palps in an ant mimicker don't help at all in family identification. Although I'm willing to accept the spider as a salticid, it wouldn't be on characters that don't have any ID'ing usefulness.

Here you can see an ant mimicking Salticide with neither bulky nor hair palps.
http://www.pbase.com/larena/image/69150772

desert solifuge

Arachnopeon
I know nobody will probably reply this, but anyway I think this is Aphantochilus actually a Thomisidae, I know that if you understand something about spiders you might disagree, but I know a lot a about spider and it really look like a Aphantochilus, but check www.vidanaterra.info in Thomisidae and see for your own...