What's the most underrated tarantula in the hobby?

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
What do you think is the most underrated tarantula?

I'll go first: Orphnaecus philippinus. A unusual looking T, sort of like a giant brown recluse, except it's orange. Mild disposition and (supposedly) weak venom, It's also my choice for best first OW. It is on the small side, which is a drawback for some, but if you're looking for something different, you can't go wrong with this T.

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
Psalmopoeus cambridgei. They’re quite beautiful, they eat like champs, and they’re out often (in most cases.) They’re also quite affordable and readily available.

I also feel like Cyriocosmus spp. don’t get enough attention. Their small size mean they take up less space and there are so many beautiful species out there. My Cyriocosmus leetzi is a very curious little spider. It’s made some pretty amazing tunnels through its delicup, it’s out fairly often, its colors and pattern is breathtaking, it’s great eater, and it’s grown fairly fast.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
G. rosea/porteri

Yup, we're gonna do this. Hear me out.
  • Adult females are incredibly cheap to the tune of $20-$50 (depending on coloration, more on that soon) - very few species can claim that price tag.
  • Given their almost zombie-like metabolisms, they are the easiest pet anyone could ask for. You're able to go away for a two month vacation and not need to even worry about water, the G. rosea would hardly notice. Let me repeat that. They are literally easier to care for than houseplants.
  • As a result of this, you can also plan on having your G. rosea for a very, very, very long time. Best to write that thing in your will if you're over 40.
  • They have an interesting array of colors: complete brown, brown with a copper carapace, or almost completely dull-red.
  • While they may not be the absolute best when it comes to new keepers, their only real downfalls are their growth rates and their activity level. The growth rate can be ignored by simply getting an adult (again, cheap) and the activity level won't matter to the people like me who simply want a living piece of art to put on their shelf. Every other aspect of them screams 'beginner' tarantula.
People bawk at G. rosea/porteri because of their glacier-slow growth rates and ridiculous availability. But in my opinion, those are quite ridiculous reasons to not like these species. No, they're not winning any beauty pageants and they won't be competing in the Olympics any time soon, but they do check off the vast majority of 'easy pet' boxes.

Notable mention would also be G. sp. "Concepcion" which has quickly become one of my favorite species. Kept identical to G. rosea/porteri, a tad smaller, and a bit more active, I'd rank them above everything I just said if it wasn't for their scarce availability.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
G. rosea/porteri

Yup, we're gonna do this. Hear me out.
  • Adult females are incredibly cheap to the tune of $20-$50 (depending on coloration, more on that soon) - very few species can claim that price tag.
  • Given their almost zombie-like metabolisms, they are the easiest pet anyone could ask for. You're able to go away for a two month vacation and not need to even worry about water, the G. rosea would hardly notice. Let me repeat that. They are literally easier to care for than houseplants.
  • As a result of this, you can also plan on having your G. rosea for a very, very, very long time. Best to write that thing in your will if you're over 40.
  • They have an interesting array of colors: complete brown, brown with a copper carapace, or almost completely dull-red.
  • While they may not be the absolute best when it comes to new keepers, their only real downfalls are their growth rates and their activity level. The growth rate can be ignored by simply getting an adult (again, cheap) and the activity level won't matter to the people like me who simply want a living piece of art to put on their shelf. Every other aspect of them screams 'beginner' tarantula.
People bawk at G. rosea/porteri because of their glacier-slow growth rates and ridiculous availability. But in my opinion, those are quite ridiculous reasons to not like these species. No, they're not winning any beauty pageants and they won't be competing in the Olympics any time soon, but they do check off the vast majority of 'easy pet' boxes.

Notable mention would also be G. sp. "Concepcion" which has quickly become one of my favorite species. Kept identical to G. rosea/porteri, a tad smaller, and a bit more active, I'd rank them above everything I just said if it wasn't for their scarce availability.
Visually they are stunning

Katiekooleyes

Arachnosquire
Psalmopoeus cambridgei. They’re quite beautiful, they eat like champs, and they’re out often (in most cases.) They’re also quite affordable and readily available.
You beat me to the punch. I very much agree!

(still havn't got around to getting one yet tho)

Blonc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Seconding the B.albopilosum. I got mine as an afterthought when I ordered my B.emilia since it was really cheap. I've since fallen a bit in love with it seeing as it grows fast and seeing it really fill out is satisfying. That and it's a first class excavator:)

ed:spelling

Last edited:

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
May I list three?

1. B. albopilosum: whoever thinks this species is bland, well, I don't know what to tell you other than they are far from m bland.

20190211_141833.jpg

H. chilensis: anyone who faults them for slow growth rate are missing out on an amazing species. Working on pairing this guy.

IMG_20190316_115024.jpg

H. dictator: H. pulchripes get all the attention, but this species is amazing. I bred this girl, but she decided to molt instead of dropping.

IMG_20190316_115229.jpg

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
G. rosea/porteri. I think that some people turn up their nose at them because they are what a lot of pet stores carry. I don't think it's a great starter T, mainly due to fasting and the occasional "psycho rosie" behavior with some specimens, but I wouldn't sleep on them either.

cold blood

Staff member
Top 5

1. N. incei....how everyone desnt have several is beyond me...beautiful, some of the most prolific webbers and fast growth and an incredible prey drive...and a NW without urticating hairs. Just a wonderful species.
2. P. cambridgei...possibly the hobbys most perfect t....large size, unique colors, insane feeding response and growth rates, and a propensity for being visible a lot. And again, NW without urticating hairs.

3. H. gigas... the fast growing, spectacular eating and version of P. muticus...sure, you dont see em much, but they are incredible...and unique in that they dive underwater both as an escape and when hunting. And one of the truly special fossorials around...they can dig like no other.
4. P. cancerides...so much like the most loved large terrestrial, Pamphobetus, yet a small fraction of the cost....great eaters and spectacular feeding response.
5. B. vagans....people gush over the slow growing, often fasting pulchra....vagans is, IMO, a more striking looking black t...with faster growth, a more consistent appetite at a fraction of the cost.

All these have one thing in common, something that by all respects should make them more popular, but instead gets them overlooked for possibly being too common or, nothing special...but all are readily available and cheap because of just how special each one is....so theyre bred often for that reason.

Last edited:

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Top 5

1. N. incei....how everyone desnt have several is beyond me...beautiful, some of the most prolific webbers and fast growth and an incredible prey drive...and a NW without urticating hairs. Just a wonderful species.
2. P. cambridgei...possibly the hobbys most perfect t....large size, unique colors, insane feeding response and growth rates, and a propensity for being visible a lot. And again, NW without urticating hairs.

3. H. gigas... the fast growing, spectacular eating and version of P. muticus...sure, you dont see em much, but they are incredible...and unique in that they dive underwater both as an escape and when hunting. And one of the truly special fossorials around...they can dig like no other.

4. P. cancerides...so much like the most loved large terrestrial, Pamphobetus, yet a small fraction of the cost....great eaters and spectacular feeding response.
5. B. vagans....people gush over the slow growing, often fasting pulchra....vagans is, IMO, a more striking looking black t...with faster growth, a more consistent appetite at a fraction of the cost.

All these have one thing in common, something that by all respects should make them more popular, but instead gets them overlooked for possible being too common or, nothing special...but all are readily available and cheap because of just how special each one is....so theyre bred often for that reason.
N. incei? Underrated? I don’t know about that, seems like mainly the gold form gets a lot of publicity.

cold blood

Staff member

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Phormictopus cancerides for sure. They have it all! Looks, size, eating skills, and both urticating hairs and temperament! They are often a display speicies which is nice!
As number 2 i say Pterinochilus murinus, based on that there are many beutiful geographic color variants