What's the longest lifespan by a male...post ultimate moult?

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've just read of a male spider that is still alive, two years and four months after his ultimate moult!

What's the longest one of your males has lived, after the final moult?

Might be interesting to add to a species sheet..? ;)

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
We had a G. rosea male that was still around 3 years after his ultimate moult. He died because he moulted again and his pedipalps got stuck in the old skin. I also know that 138 has a very old male A. avic, I think he said it is about 1 1/2 years past ultimate moult.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
One of the mods (Windchaser IIRC) has a male rosie that's been around for 5 years past his ultimate moult.

peterspiderling

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
a brizilean black lived for 4 years after its ultimete molt! but i did not own the tarantula, my friend did, and ye were wondering when it was going to pop its clogs, but didnt for aaages! lol {D

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I know of a G. rosea male that passed away 5 years after his ultimate molt.

Steph

Joanie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My brother has a male G. rosea that matured about 4 1/2 years ago and is just now starting to fade. He was reportedly still eating enthusiastically up to a couple weeks ago. (the spider, I mean, my brother continues to eat enthusiastically.)

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Parahybana, ultimate moult arround september 2005. Not going strong, but going.

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer

Well, that certainly dispels a few myths...! :clap:

Please add to this as you read it... ;)

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have a G. rosea male that was already mature when I received it 5 years ago this July. He was WC, so no clue how long he had already been mature. He still eats and makes sperm webs.

Eric

AfterTheAsylum

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
T. blondi. Over two years past ultimate molt. Molted again. Died later. He lasted about 2 years and 8 months after the mature molt.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
I had a G. rosea survive a post ultimate molt and live for about 5 years from his maturing date. Theres pics of him some where on this site.

later, Tom

Sequin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Def. not the record, but my B. Smithi made it 22 months past his ultimate molt. He ate and behaved normally up until the week he passed. I also have a G. Rosea going strong at 20 months.

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have a P. irminia who is 1 year and 9 months past his maturing molt. I've got a P. nigricolor who is 2 years and 1 month past his maturing. And my OBT male lasted 2 years and 7 months past his maturing before finally biting the big one.

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Dispels what myths? The Ts you're reading about right now are the exception to the rule.
Sorry - I thought it was obvious??? :?

The myths that you hear as a new keeper, that on reaching the maturation moult, your male T quote will definitely be dead soon! unquote

'Soon' is left hanging, but clearly intimates a very short future for your male. ALWAYS!

This is a myth.

They clearly do not always die 'soon' as we've seen in this thread.

The myth is dispelled.

As you noted, these are exceptional cases, but there are enough of them to prove there can no longer be an absolute answer to the question of longevity in a post-ultimately moulted Theraphosid male. ;)

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi...

It is not myth, it is a rule...
And the cases told about are just the exceptions that prove the rule...
That's it.
Of all mmales I have for last 17 years I remeber only 2 or 3 live above the 1 year after maturation, but most others - less than 1 year.
And it is another rule, that terrestrial males from arid regions like Brachy's. Aphono's and Grammie's live much longer than Arboreals, but we still have some exception in arboreals, but not so often as in terrestrials...

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have a question to add to the original.
All these males that have lived for a while after their ultimate molt, did they get a chance to breed?
If not, maybe thats why they lasted so long?
I was just curious.

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi...

It is not myth, it is a rule...
And the cases told about are just the exceptions that prove the rule...
That's it.
Of all mmales I have for last 17 years I remeber only 2 or 3 live above the 1 year after maturation, but most others - less than 1 year.
And it is another rule, that terrestrial males from arid regions like Brachy's. Aphono's and Grammie's live much longer than Arboreals, but we still have some exception in arboreals, but not so often as in terrestrials...
Hey Mikhail!

I appreciate your learned input as you well know, but I was referring to the belief that that male is basically at death's door once he hooks out - that's all. We all know that they normally die 'soon', but have now learned that this is not always as 'soon' as we first believed. {D

Paul
Johannesburg

@fartkowski - excellent point, and I'm certain this will play a factor. Let's see...

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Paul!

I see... ;)

Fartkowski, I strongly believe that does mating were happens or not it is not affect those rezults.

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my MM A. avic never mated. doesn't make sperm webs anymore. no webs for that matter. rarely climbs the branches in his enclosure. but he's still eating. :}