What's the deal with Tarantula prices in the US these days?

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Prices are slowly going up in Australia too, mostly among private breeders. I've seen AF Selenotypus wallace, one of the smaller and more commonly available T's, listed at $220. After pointing out to the seller this was asking far too much and even linking him to several websites that listed them much cheaper at close to $150, he eventually drew back and we agreed to go for a more reasonable price. Then someone turned up to inspect her in person and he broke our deal since they payed the full $220. Dishonest greed is all there is to it.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
The market is blooming with newbies, and newbies don't know better to avoid spending an extra hundred or so dollars for certain species..so
on the bright side, Breeders / Dealers are making more $ which overall is good for the hobby

Hoxter

Arachnoderp
Seemingly there aren't enough people in the hobby in the US. You'll need more hobbyists with experience breeding lots of Ts and then trying to sell them off separately. I bet, if we didn't have so many people breeding privately, vendor prices would've skyrocketed as well. In a sense, you could say those private sellers are keeping bigger vendors in check from raising prices to very unreasonable state.

Another thing is how cheap shipping cost can be. Here I can pay around 7USD for shipping with guarantee of arrival next day within my country. Compared with those 50USD that you pay in USA is simply dirt cheap.
What does it mean? It means I can get myself even one sling at a time and not worry too much about paying a fortune for shipping. That alone can encourage everyone to buy tarantulas from others that don't have tons of different slings to offer. You could just get one cheap OBT sling and still be fine. Now everyone can breed, sell and be happy.

MJInsoCal

Arachnopeon
Just some thoughts… I jumped back into this hobby a few months ago, after about 20 or so years. I had 11 tarantulas back then, ranging from slings I grew to various adults and sub-adults.

Yeah, prices have changed. Picked up a P. metallica sling for $120 <edit> as my first T, back into the hobby. I can’t remember what I paid, maybe $35 for a T.blondi sling back then. $10-$20 maybe for other slings? I remember buying a Mexican Red Knee sub adult for like $25. … Apples and oranges, with the metallica, just saying prices were of course.. way back then cheaper.

Sure, inflation…$10 then... prob $20 now. But with exotic pets, usually prices drop dramatically as captive breeding takes hold. Some new fancy rare species comes out.. price starts sky high.. drops after a few years.

The biggest differences I’ve noticed are the adults. I'm sure changes in export laws from certain places have put a huge brake on the adults. And I can’t see raising them to sub or adult being supper feasible from a bus perspective. I really don’t know. But I imagine the lack of wild caught adults means the slings (and need for patience) go up in price, by a lot.

I was able to get 2 stirmi slings of quite decent size > 1” from a local guy for $100 ($50 each). Was quite happy with that. I couldn’t find any other vendors to compare price to..

Here is the thing… there is a market.. there are prices. It isn’t any more greedy than any of you asking for a raise at work, or a discount on black Friday, or just who is “greedy” depends on what side of the deal you are on.. People take major risks in starting up a bus. They invest lots of time, $$$, into it. You don’t realize how tough this is until you actually start your own. Definitely the same goes for being a landlord. You can invest a ton of $$, and time… time that you could be spending getting paid your reg salary at a job, into a lot of little critters that catch a disease and all die on you. Cost does not equal price!!!! You have to factor in risk, losses, overhead, DOA, customers who scam you, everything. There are reasons why most people keep their day jobs. With risk, there needs to be sizeable reward.

The only thing that annoys me.. and keep in mind, memory ... it isn't as good as we think.. I sure as hell don't remember getting such ridiculously tiny slings when I'd but T's back then. It is like... wait.. if I sneeze will it die on me? 8 )

Last edited by a moderator: