whats the deal with Phormictopus cancerides?

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
anyone keep these? looking to get one need some info. some sites say adults do fine with substrate/water dish and others say they need more humidity than most t's. thats basically what i could find in english so i could use some help.

thanx

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
I've kept them for years with nothing but a water dish for humidity. They are very easy, very beautiful, and wholly under-rated IMO.

Joy

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thanks that what i was looking for. u sealed the deal for me lol

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Like Joy said a water dish and they thrive. Mine just gets more prettier everytime I look at her. They are truely eating machines and never underestimate the speed they have. If you don't have one I would highly recommend getting one.:)

Jeff_C

ArachnoAddicted
Old Timer
Do they all have that purple coloring?

Jeff

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The large amount of purple/metallic sheen you see in some pics is a mature male specialty, but all large specimens have some highlights.

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
are they active burrowers or will they just accept a hide if given to them?

Joy

Old Timer
I think some are more purple than others, but both females I have owned were noticeably purple (and very beautiful).

Joy

Last edited:

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Along with T blondi, these have to be the most cantankerous New-world species I've dealt with.
Attitude in spades! You'll love them.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
O.M.G. Joy, you NEVER cease to amaze me with your photos! Like when dogs are all "foo-food" up at dog shows, your Ts all look perfect... they are ALL beautiful!!! (And your backgrounds are great too!) You should publish a book... I'll be the first to buy it!!!

Joy

Old Timer
Originally posted by MizM
O.M.G. Joy, you NEVER cease to amaze me with your photos! Like when dogs are all "foo-food" up at dog shows, your Ts all look perfect... they are ALL beautiful!!! (And your backgrounds are great too!) You should publish a book... I'll be the first to buy it!!!
Aren't you sweet to say so! :)

Joy

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Joy
I think some are more purple than others, but both females I have owned were noticeably purple (and very beautiful).

Joy
now that is a cool T, im torn between them and h.gigas as my next T

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hey joy do u ever feed yours anything besides inverts? imlooking forward to having a t capable of taking verts...just curious

arachnopunks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Great pic Joy.....I wonder if a green background would contrast the purple. You seem to have the most compliant spiders.

-Jill

Joy

Old Timer
Originally posted by Paladin
hey joy do u ever feed yours anything besides inverts? imlooking forward to having a t capable of taking verts...just curious
Yes, I feed pinkie and fuzzy mice about once a month to those specimens who like them. I've used anoles a few times, too, in the past, but tend to avoid them because 1) they're cute little insectivores and I feel sorry for them 2) my daughter feels sorry for them, too, and has been known to adopt my proposed feeders as pets, and 3) I've heard incidences of their injuring T's

Joy