What's the closest you've been to permanently getting out of the hobby

rusted180

Arachnosquire
I hear u guys! Glad to see some reef keepers on this board!

Yeah... did the hobby for 15 years.. my 60 gallon (sps), 10 gallon nano (mostly zoaanthids), and 25 gallon shallow (lps) tanks were all low tech, with the exception of the 60 gallom that had a sump and skimmer, etc etc.. makes growing sps easier.
Never had a crash in any of the 3... however, my lps almost had a close call when i mixed the salt improperly and some of my corals died.. and killed my favorite maxima clam in there..
Man talking about it... makes me miss that hobby.
But like i said in my previous posts on this forum... i vowed to return to that hobby once we get our condo/home where i would have space without making our living room look like Frankenstein's lab!
I shall return.
But hey! On another note, one BIG thing that i love about T keeping is the fact u get to rehouse the T into a new enclosure every so often from sling to adult! I LOVE DAT! that's the most funnest part ! I loved designing the layout when i was in reef keeping. And the fun factor is the same in this T hobby!

InternetSwag

Arachnopeon
Wth is wrong with your wives? Mine loves me and respects what I do. She would never try to tell me I can or can't do anything, especially if it's something I'm passionate about. She's actually supports my hobbies and interests - tries to talk to me about them, even though she's not fond of spiders, she does find some beautiful, like the B. Klaasi. It's not like keeping tarantulas is a sin lmao

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
Think that’s pretty average... most women aren’t immediately on board the idea of tons of giant spiders In the next room. After they see some of the prettier ones and get an understanding of why it’s important to us they tolerate it to some extent. Also plenty of women on here likely have BF:husbands that are very supportive.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Think that’s pretty average... most women aren’t immediately on board the idea of tons of giant spiders In the next room. After they see some of the prettier ones and get an understanding of why it’s important to us they tolerate it to some extent. Also plenty of women on here likely have BF:husbands that are very supportive.
I've noticed that too with a good portion of other women. It's a shame, because they're really missing out...especially with something fascinating that they and their significant others could even pursue together. I personally think that part of loving and accepting someone is being supportive of their interests and what makes them happy. When my BF gets into his hardcore birdwatching mode it can be a little frustrating at times, but I love him and know that it gives him happiness. Plus he's taught me a LOT of interesting things in the process and it's something we can do together. But that's just my opinion.

I know I've never left for more than a season. Spiders have always been close to my heart. Even as a baby I was still enamored by them. Honestly if I was forced to choose between my spiders/centipedes and a significant other, I'd stay single and continue playing with my friends. I could never be with somebody who doesn't like them; that's always been the number one thing I look for in somebody.

Garnet3942

Arachnosquire
For me it was after a surgery that reduced my balance, eyesight, and fine motor skills to a shadow of what they were. It led me to sell off all but three of my inverts. After about a year my eyesight had mostly returned to normal, and confidence in my ability to care for the animals I love grew.
Well I guess I stopped researching about spiders for a few years I think I lost interest in them for awhile and then after like 2 or 3 years got back into it and now I'm more obsessed than ever lol. I can't go a day without mentioning the word spider or tarantula!

Garnet3942

Arachnosquire
I've noticed that too with a good portion of other women. It's a shame, because they're really missing out...especially with something fascinating that they and their significant others could even pursue together. I personally think that part of loving and accepting someone is being supportive of their interests and what makes them happy. When my BF gets into his hardcore birdwatching mode it can be a little frustrating at times, but I love him and know that it gives him happiness. Plus he's taught me a LOT of interesting things in the process and it's something we can do together. But that's just my opinion.
Agreed why are girls so afraid I just don't get it! I'm a girl and I'm obsessed why is everyone else so disgusted or afraid I only know one girl in real life that actually likes spiders but mainly bugs and I'm not that fond of certain bugs.

Agreed why are girls so afraid I just don't get it! I'm a girl and I'm obsessed why is everyone else so disgusted or afraid I only know one girl in real life that actually likes spiders but mainly bugs and I'm not that fond of certain bugs.
Teach your peers! That's the only way they'll let go of their fears. That's all fear is, a lack of understanding.

Garnet3942

Arachnosquire
Teach your peers! That's the only way they'll let go of their fears. That's all fear is, a lack of understanding.
I completely agree mainly because I use to be afraid of spiders but somehow I have a weird fasination with my fears and learn about them and boom they are gone and in a rare circumstance I become obsessed with that thing I was afraid of for instance spiders and found out how interesting they are strange isn't it? Must be fate!

I completely agree mainly because I use to be afraid of spiders but somehow I have a weird fasination with my fears and learn about them and boom they are gone and in a rare circumstance I become obsessed with that thing I was afraid of for instance spiders and found out how interesting they are strange isn't it? Must be fate!
There's nothing strange about being adventurous! The only thing that I'm not fond of is being on the industrial staircases usually found on catwalks and water slides. But spiders and centipedes are one of the many things I was never afraid of. I always thought they were cool to look at, especially at night when they're more active

Garnet3942

Arachnosquire
There's nothing strange about being adventurous! The only thing that I'm not fond of is being on the industrial staircases usually found on catwalks and water slides. But spiders and centipedes are one of the many things I was never afraid of. I always thought they were cool to look at, especially at night when they're more active
yeah it is really cool to watch their progress in making burrows! I also love to watch them walk they look so calm and very cool!

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
In 2010 I nearly accepted a job in Tegucigalpa, Honduras, and in 2015 I was considering a job in Mumbai, India. Obviously I would not have been allowed to bring my collection to either place, and neither has a "tarantula hobby" scene. India would have been awesome though...

trtct

Arachnopeon
In 2010 I nearly accepted a job in Tegucigalpa, Honduras, and in 2015 I was considering a job in Mumbai, India. Obviously I would not have been allowed to bring my collection to either place, and neither has a "tarantula hobby" scene. India would have been awesome though...
Is it illegal to keep tarantulas in India? You could probably go out and catch a pokie to keep.

myheartbeatsts

Arachnopeon
I left the hobby for over a decade due to some major life changes and homelessness. I recently got back into the hobby and as soon as I purchased my first t a brachypalma smithi I realized how much I have missed it. I have 4 more beauties coming Thursday morning 🤣❤👌🏻

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I left the hobby for over a decade due to some major life changes and homelessness. I recently got back into the hobby and as soon as I purchased my first t a brachypalma smithi I realized how much I have missed it. I have 4 more beauties coming Thursday morning 🤣❤👌🏻
I'm glad that you're in a better place now. Congrats on your new spiders!

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wth is wrong with your wives? Mine loves me and respects what I do. She would never try to tell me I can or can't do anything, especially if it's something I'm passionate about. She's actually supports my hobbies and interests - tries to talk to me about them, even though she's not fond of spiders, she does find some beautiful, like the B. Klaasi. It's not like keeping tarantulas is a sin lmao
I think you are too quickly dismissing someone's fear of spiders (and fear of insects in general). People may make fun of these phobias but I know it's real and can be crippling. Imagine the PTSD you would suffer if getting bitten in the private area by a spider at a young age. Now remove the "bitten" part but the same PTSD - that's the sort of crippling inexplicable fear I'm talking about.
Even without fear (or when the fear is well-managed), reality of life comes into play as well. For example, people outside of Europe (and Singapore, Japan, etc.) don't realise how much space can be a premium. It's easy to assume everyone can have a room full of T's but the reality is, space for T is no space for something else.
And at the end of the day, it's really never about support. It's about the fact that she-who-must-be-obeyed is always more valuable to me than any hobby can ever be. She support me on things that are way more important than some big spiders.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
And at the end of the day, it's really never about support. It's about the fact that she-who-must-be-obeyed is always more valuable to me than any hobby can ever be. She support me on things that are way more important than some big spiders.
Couldn't agree with you more on this.
There's more to life than tarantulas ;)

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I think you are too quickly dismissing someone's fear of spiders (and fear of insects in general). People may make fun of these phobias but I know it's real and can be crippling. Imagine the PTSD you would suffer if getting bitten in the private area by a spider at a young age. Now remove the "bitten" part but the same PTSD - that's the sort of crippling inexplicable fear I'm talking about.
Even without fear (or when the fear is well-managed), reality of life comes into play as well. For example, people outside of Europe (and Singapore, Japan, etc.) don't realise how much space can be a premium. It's easy to assume everyone can have a room full of T's but the reality is, space for T is no space for something else.
Yes. This is the post I was waiting for. At the end of the day, as much as we love our creatures, they cannot replace wives/husbands.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

jroachboy

Arachnopeon
I don't mean this to sound rude but to those who have said their wives or partners dislike their hobbies and enforce a "no spider" rule... is that something that partners normally do??? If you really enjoy something and have a passion for it... why would your partner get the right to tell you not to do it?