What's the biggest size increase you've ever seen with one molt?

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Apparently the last thread on this topic was in 2012. I've heard of Theraphosas literally d o u b l i n g in size with one molt. How does its new body even fit inside its exoskeleton without breaking the whole thing to pieces? That would certainly make the process easier for them. Don't the leg segments not align properly with such a massive size difference? Molting is still a process I barely understand :/

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
MM Lv's can easily gain 2" in DLS, basically going from 4 to 6" that's a considerable jump in one molt.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
My LP went from 3.5" to 5" in one moult, I was pretty shocked to see the size difference.

The new exoskeleton, being soft, would be constricted by the old. I'd assume that, once free of it they're able to pump haemolymph to it which would make it expand to its new size (not unlike inflating a balloon), I think there was a similar question about limb regeneration and where the new limb would even have room to grow.

runCMD

Arachnopeon
My LP went from 3.5" to 5" in one moult, I was pretty shocked to see the size difference.

The new exoskeleton, being soft, would be constricted by the old. I'd assume that, once free of it they're able to pump haemolymph to it which would make it expand to its new size (not unlike inflating a balloon), I think there was a similar question about limb regeneration and where the new limb would even have room to grow.
Makes sense on the regen. I got greedy eyes looking at this post. My new LP is about 3.5" - hoping for a molt to confirm gender as it's looking kind of dark. New terrariums should arrive tomorrow so hopefully I'll be able to get it set up nicely.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
P vittata. Second of three molts in my care looked like a different spider.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
"I once caught a fish thiiiiis big." :shifty:

Forget single molts. Power in numbers, baby. My L. difficilus went from a teeny 3i sling to a 3.5" beast in just under 4 months. Now that's impressive.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
"I once caught a fish thiiiiis big." :shifty:

Forget single molts. Power in numbers, baby. My L. difficilus went from a teeny 3i sling to a 3.5" beast in just under 4 months. Now that's impressive.
Yup, got my LD at about 2.5" in late June 2016, she just molted again and she's looking to be around 6.5-7" now :D

They are absolute monsters.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Yup, got my LD at about 2.5" in late June 2016, she just molted again and she's looking to be around 6.5-7" now :D

They are absolute monsters.
Not an exaggeration? Good to hear that they don't slow down. The likes of P. cancerides and B. albopilosum have jaded me - molt like mad to get to 3", and then never molt again.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
Not an exaggeration? Good to hear that they don't slow down. The likes of P. cancerides and B. albopilosum have jaded me - molt like mad to get to 3", and then never molt again.
It seems like Lasiodora spp. don't really slow down until they're nearly full-sized. Their growth seems to really explode once they reach the 2-3" mark, at least IME.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Theraphosa have the craziest growth rates by far IME.
It seems like Lasiodora spp. don't really slow down until they're nearly full-sized. Their growth seems to really explode once they reach the 2-3" mark, at least IME.
They'll make a wuss out of L.difficilis. ;) I know cause I raised five of them from 1/4'' slings. While they definitely grow fast, theraphosa are on a whole other level.

xenesthis

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Over the last 35 years, of all the species that I've kept, it would be Lasiodora species when the males go from penultimate to mature. 2"-2.25".

Pasyoo

Arachnopeon
My boehmei went from 1.5" to 2.5" measured diaganoally. Not too much but surely is noticeable. Still don't know if he is a he or a she though.

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
I was surprised when my 3.5" Brachypelma albopilosum molted and turned into a 4.5"-5" fluffy ball of legs. Not the biggest size gain ever, but still not too shabby.

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
i think that would be my H carol when it molted and got big enough to bolt over the ide of its enclosure. sadly, its dead now :( it was a pet hole so it had been dead for about a week or two before i figured out it was dead

Mychajlo

Arachnosquire
So far the biggest size jump I’ve witnessed has been my female T. Stirmi “Majesty” recently she molted and she was around 5 inches and now she seems to be a solid inch and a half bigger now maybe is around 6-6.5 inches

esa space station

Arachnoknight
Theraphosa seem to double in size till they get 8 inches or so
It does seem to be the fastest at reaching a large size however i notice a lot of t blondi male mature smaller *7-8" than t stirmis unless they were w.c(but dont happen since 2006 uk)