what's the biggest old world tarantula?

Meaningless End

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
im not possitive.... i would guess king baboon but i could definatly be wrong.

king baboon's are definalty the largest old world species ive personaly seen.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
King baboons are that big? I thought they were just 6+"

Don't some pokeys exceed a 9" legspan?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
King baboons are that big? I thought they were just 6+"

Don't some pokeys exceed a 9" legspan?
C. crawshayi can get pretty big. Heavy too.
You are right as well Pokies can get really leggy. Regalis and Rufilata are leggy ones Rufilata being the one with the biggest leg span.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I always thought ornata was the largest pokie.

Biggest OW? I'd say Hystereocrates ssp.

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i don't know what the very biggest is but i had thought i remembered reading before that the C. crawshayi was the only the second largest African T. i was able to find this pretty quick but didn't look into it further - still don't know the biggest... When i googled C. stridulantissmus i came up with zip!

http://giantspiders.com/Citharischius_species.html

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would agree, hysterocrates are very large, i am pretty sure exceeding the size of the king baboon,

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
well what do you mean by big? longest legspan or greatest mass?
I think H. hercules is the largest african T.
but ...
just think, a T. blondi(I know its not OW but humor me lol) at an 8" LS would still be a larger (mass wise ) spider than a 9" pokie.

Meaningless End

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
some of the pokies have leg spans that definalty are larger then the king baboon... but as far as mass is conserned they arnt even close. im not familiar with the other T that was mentioned to be bigger... but im about to be =]

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
well what do you mean by big? longest legspan or greatest mass?
I think H. hercules is the largest african T.
but ...
just think, a T. blondi(I know its not OW but humor me lol) at an 8" LS would still be a larger (mass wise ) spider than a 9" pokie.

Very true. Arboreal spiders tend to be lighter and leggier than their terrestrial cousins. Evolutionary adaptations and such.

I have a Brachypelma albopilosum and a Poecilotheria regalis with roughly the same legspan and I think the B. albopilosum has at least twice the body mass as the regalis.

BLS Blondi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
From my experience, the mentioned baboon spiders are the biggest. As there are 8-9" pokies out there, there are plenty of 8-9" Hysterocrates sp. and C. crawshayi. I have had at least 3 C. crawshayi females easily over 8"

brgn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Cyriopagopus sp. "Sulawesi black" is one of the contenders if we are talking legspan.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My female crawshayi had a good 9" legspan. P. ornata get to about 8" i believe, sometimes more and are the larger of the pokie species. Hysterocrates are big!

chris 71

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
one thing i've noticed about C. crawshayi. is they seem to have a lot smaller shorter legs except the last pair than spiders like T. blondi so when you have a 8 or 9 inch king baboon they really are big bulky and powerful!!