What's the best Tarantula feeder?

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was wondering what the best feeder is. I have used crickets and superworms but what's the best.

kylestl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Roaches roaches roaches. Get dubias can't climb don't smell and are very healthy. I'm sure someone will say it but just ignore the people that say "use the search function"

possumburg

Arachnosquire
I use crickets and mealworms right now, but I may look into starting a dubia colony, since everyone recommends them.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Roaches roaches roaches. Get dubias can't climb don't smell and are very healthy. I'm sure someone will say it but just ignore the people that say "use the search function"

Great advice. We might be talking to an expert here, so sorry.

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Actually you should use the search function. I remember someone posting a link to a sight that had done an analysis of nutritional value of several insect prey items. The meal worm scored the lowest, and crickets and roaches were fairly closely matched, if I recall correctly. If I find the link I will post it.

Anubis77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
All of my spiders are on a diet of search function. Don't knock it till you try it.

Sundan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'd say B.Dubias too, since they are easy to breed and dont smell, however i use crickets too sometimes to mix it up, and for the reason that crickets are more curios and presents itself better to the T, while dubias often play dead or bury itself in the substrate right away if it can.

kylestl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Great advice. We might be talking to an expert here, so sorry.
He does need to use the search function. But do 20 people have to tell him and be rude about it. I was just saying that because I knew the "real" experts around here would jump on him. Better to jump on me then him because I do not care;P

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I like my lats so far :)

If you want to go for roaches, I recommend doing searches on both lats & dubias. There are several differences in the species and how easily they are kept in check.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
And the answer is..........

....domesticated partially albino finches- according to one you-tube goob it is,..... :rolleyes:

But seriously, I use both crickets and B dubia and cannot say I see much difference with t growth and health with either. Imo, the dubia "stick to their ribs" a little better.

:)

Terry

EightLeggedFrea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Blatta lateralis imo is the best roach, perhaps best feeder insect. They reproduce fast and I haven't met any T that wouldn't eat them, most likely b/c they run everywhere, unlike Dubias, which have a habitat of "freezing." The only thing I don't like about them is their speed, but at least they don't jump like crickets (which I can't even remember the last time I bought!).

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So my parents won't let me get roaches. I tell them that dubias are non-infesting but all they say is a stern “no I don't want roaches inside my house.” so what is the next best feeder insect.

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So my parents won't let me get roaches. I tell them that dubias are non-infesting but all they say is a stern “no I don't want roaches inside my house.” so what is the next best feeder insect.
While I can't say I don't agree with them by name alone you need to explain these "roaches" your talking about are not common German cockroaches that they most likely think they are. These, at least where your at in Michigan (blue sucks) and me in Ohio (go Bucks!) they don't have a quick way to infest.

Maybe they can but I've had a few escapee's in a year of having B. lats and they either were found already dead, mostly near the bathroom (water source) or were in some other spider's web inside the basement. Now that it's getting colder they don't stand a chance honestly.

I would explain to them further but again I can understand their reaction :D

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Crickets honestly.. You can get all fancy with silkworms and others such as mealworms/etc but simplicity is the cricket unless you have so many T's that roaches come out on top.

Even a small colony of B. lats can reproduce at great numbers when given proper temps and food/water and you never have to buy stinky crickets again.

If you only feeding a small collection or 1 only get a few because if like me they never all seemed to make the short ride home as well die and cannibalize themselves to the point I went with a roach colony.

That's my opinion, others will have more to say.

kylestl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
crickets work just fine. Feed them well and they are good feeders.