Whats the best starter scorpion?

loveispain

Arachnopeon
because i just recently got a tarantula nad ive been looking thru the scorpions pics and liking them more and more. im really starting to get into aracnids.
any info would be greatly appreciated

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the best starter scorp all depends on if you want a desert or tropical.

Desert spp that make good starters are H spadix and H arizonensis

tropical spp are P imperator or any Heterometrus sp

Takumaku

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would agree with your desert recommendation.

While the emperor scorpion (P imperator) can tolerate a lot of the beginner mistakes, I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner. Once the emperor adjusts, it becomes a living pet hole.

Bark scorpions (Centruroides ssp), minus the Arizona bark scorpion - Centruroides exilicauda, would make a better beginner scorpion than the emperor. BS can tolerate a lot of beginner mistakes, plus, they are active foragers (translation: always out in plane view).

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Most people start off with P.imp. The emperor scorpion. It's big, scary, intimidating but very gentle. They don't tend to sting especially as adults. And they can be handled(altough most people would say never handle any scorp). They do use their huge chela to defend themselves and catch prey. Altough people say that their pinch can draw blood I've never experiaced it. It feels like if you were to use your own nails to pinch your thumb. I have actually hand fed my scorps without them even pinching the prey.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would agree with your desert recommendation.

While the emperor scorpion (P imperator) can tolerate a lot of the beginner mistakes, I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner. Once the emperor adjusts, it becomes a living pet hole.

Bark scorpions (Centruroides ssp), minus the Arizona bark scorpion - Centruroides exilicauda, would make a better beginner scorpion than the emperor. BS can tolerate a lot of beginner mistakes, plus, they are active foragers (translation: always out in plane view).
True emps do hide and very rarely come out. But my H.spinifers tend to be VERY active even during the day. Their not as aggresive as they once were when they shared the tank with the emps.

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'll cast my vote for the emperor and Asian. the only beginner mistakes I foresee for these guys is putting them on crushed walnut-shells and/or sand and not putting in hides and not keeping them hot and moist. :D But I'm impartial to the Pandinus imperators and Heterometrus' my self (emperors and asian forest). Other than that they are low maintenance IMHO.

The corner of the state of GA you live in has at least two scorpion species: the Southern devil (Vejovis carolinianus) and striped (Centruroides vittatus) scorpions. I don't know the care need for these but they are in 'your neck of the woods'. Why not find some? I'll go a step further and trade you some P imps or Het. slings (I3) for some. :D

H. cyaneus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For how easy P. imperator are to care for, the new ones I get I can't keep alive. :rolleyes:

Mike

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't have any issues with emps. I got 4 of the buggers one female has popped out a brood this year and the other female that gave me a brood last year is close to popping again. even the male, who is in far from optimum conditions (Smaller tank in high traffic area) is doing fine.

One reason i suggested emps is cus how readily available they are compaired to other species.

H. cyaneus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah they are easy to care for, I have had a female for over 2 years. But I have been buying some for trades and they die within a week. It's starting to tick me off.

Mike