What's the best sp for new breeder

Vincent Robert James

Arachnopeon
Hello guys, im new to tarantula (6 months) and i wanna start to breed.

Im looking for the best sp for beginner breeder and also the cheap one.

Any suggestion ?

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Why do you want to breed? I dont think you should jump into breeding. Why not order a few slings and raise them to adulthood, this will give a little experience on what to expect from keeping tarantulas before you end up with 50 slings trying to sell and care for. You dont want to loose all of your offspring due to improper care.

Vincent Robert James

Arachnopeon
O
Why do you want to breed? I dont think you should jump into breeding. Why not order a few slings and raise them to adulthood, this will give a little experience on what to expect from keeping tarantulas before you end up with 50 slings trying to sell and care for. You dont want to loose all of your offspring due to improper care.
For now, i have 28 slings. And 5 juvenilles arround, 1 l. Parahybana 14cm.

I want to make profit from keeping T ✌

Just pick your favourite species my friend
My fave arent cheapt my friend

Last edited by a moderator:

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
O

6 months isn't enough experience IMO, but its up to you. You need to ask yourself also what if your offspring doesn't sell, then you have to wholesale them and the profits will be lower.

Maybe more experienced breeders can give some thoughts, its more to it that just breeding and making money.

But if your insistent on it, I would start with Avicularia species or Brachypelma species.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
There is nothing wrong with wanting to make money off of breeding.
As long as it is done properly and you actually do care about the animal.
There isn’t, but diving head first after not having much experience? That’s like trying to run before you can even walk. Raise a tarantula or two through it’s entire life stages, then maybe think about it. I’ve seen this many times over the years, some new keepers want to start breeding soon after they get started, and it just doesn’t end like they hope.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
O

The question you should ask yourself is: "am I willing to care for 100+ slings even if they don't sell?"

Ask yourself that question, think about it for a little while, no need to rush into breeding, as it may be overwhelming for a new keeper.

I think most breeders would say the hobby isn't the most profitable.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
O

Not trying to discourage you, but that's not a lot of T.'s. It's a handful but not a lot, especially if the majority is just slings. If you want to make profit, you're going have to sell at good prices. Because selling is pain in the knee. Just because you sell a desired species in the hobby, doesn't mean they want to buy from you. I've seen prices of species being over the top, which is a drive away for me. Unless you are a reputable breeder, you're going to have to start selling at lower prices than the standard. Because I can't see any way to get customers to buy from any new breeder other than that, unless they just want to buy. Also note that you are selling against other competitive breeders. So most of the time in the end for most new coming breeders, it all goes down to the wholesale. There is a lot to consider including space, feeders, and care for a over 100+ slings. So don't expect to make bank, because about a portion of revenue earned is going to be distributed for boxes, feeders, enclosures, and more for the little ones. From experience, it's a lot harder than what it truly is, but luckily during that time, it wasn't my T.'s but my friends T.'s that I helped bred and assist him with, which later I bred my own. Is it worth it? Well.... It depends on how you sell, experience, and what species is being sold.

fleetwoodmcc

Arachnopeon
There is nothing wrong with wanting to make money off of breeding.
As long as it is done properly and you actually do care about the animal.
Yeah, there's nothing wrong with it, its just really hard to make any substantive money breeding spiders without a major operation.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
O

My fave arent cheapt my friend
This is not a hobby you're going to rich with. At best you can pay for your hobby. Very few manage to make much else.

The big species that rake in cash right now are best kept in the hands of the very experienced to grow them in the hobby. Not beginners.

You have a very misguided perception on this hobby if you want to jump in to make a quick buck.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
You have to spend money to make money - that applies to everything.
Invest in a handful of species that are in high demand and short supply. Gauge the market for what people are looking for. Pay attention to what other dealers are selling and selling out of.
Jumping in head first without having a plan is only going to result in you being stuck caring for hundreds of spiderlings that you can't even give away.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
If you want to make money with a hobby take up painting or something and sell some art. But seriously, you're in the wrong hobby if you think you can make a "quick buck" from breeding Ts. The ones that are easy to breed do not sell easily, i.e. H. macs and Lp's are the first that come to mind. Sometimes breeders can't even give them away because there's just no market. I think you need to learn how to walk before you start running into something that can end badly for you, your spiders, and your would be customers.

esa space station

Arachnoknight
Experience teacheth wisdom .if you want to make a profit from tarantulas then you need one that is a popular species that will sell

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There are speicies that is rather easy to breed, especially speicies wheres the male is more exepted by te emale than other speicies! Pterinochilussp are suchs spiders, but tit is no beginner speicies based on its defensivness! Id say go for the speicies you like and try that one!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod

Bravo! Within a couple of years you would be a millionaire like not even those annoying New York City Fifth Avenue top class lawyers, mark my words, my man :)