What's the best setup for a Green Bottle Blue

Spiderguy47

Arachnoknight
I'm preparing to purchase a 1 inch Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens and I'm not sure what to put in it's enclosure. I don't know whether to just add a bark hide or to give it sticks and twigs to build a web onto. I've seen them in arboreal enclosures with plenty of stuff to climb on and in terrestrial enclosures with nothing but a piece of bark. Which one is best for the tarantula?

P.S. The enclosure is a 5x5 inch CD case enclosure.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Semi arboreal with loads of anchor points. Foliage and cork. Water dish. This is for adults.

A 1 inch sling will do well with a little cork to web up and water dish

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight

Here is how I keep mine. Lots to climb on, good ventalation on the sides, and a water dish. The flower in the picture serves as a ground hide and anchor points for its web. :)

Cork bark and a few fake leaves or twigs would be good. I use fake plants from walmart or the dollar store and wash them well before hot glueing them into the enclosure.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
I would sugest adding plenty of anchor point as stated above. Another cheap option or anchor points is that you can get wooden chop sticks and stick them in the substrate. I have found that if you dont provide a hide then they will make one.

aphono

Arachnobaron
So far with the three I have, I agree they enjoy semi arboreal with many things to web over.

As for hide, you can try giving them one but they will be just as happy with something like cluster of sticks/fake plants either by a corner or in a rough circle. They will web that over and make a webby den inside. They do make effort to web fairly high off ground, I would suggest staying away from shallow enclosures for this species as they will stick webbing all under the lid... learning this one the hard way..

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I don't like arboreal enclosures for GBBs, personally. It doesn't give them enough horizontal space. Yeah they're semi-arboreal but they're nowhere near like Avicularia/Caribena/Ybyrapora for example.

I kept mine in a terrestrial enclosure with less substrate than usual and lots of things on the side and on the hide to anchor onto. I made their hide myself by dissecting a deli-cup and then gluing fake flowers to the top of it. I don't have a picture of the full enclosure because that was before I got out of the hobby for a bit, but this is what I'm using for my M. balfouri and intend to use something very similar for when I re-add C. cyaneopubescens to my collection again.

Here is the hide that I made for it though, I saved it and dug it out again when I rehoused my G. pulchra into a medium KK.

Last edited:

Haemus

Arachnosquire
This is how I setup my current one:

Some cork bark for hide and plastic plants to anchor. My GBB is a heavy webber though. Its next one will lean more on the terrestrial side.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I got mine at 0.75", and he came in a deli cup with a leaf that he had webbed up. I kept him in there for one more molt. Then when he was 1.5", I upgraded him to a small Exo Terra Breeding Box (8" x 8" x 5.5") and started keeping his substrate bone dry.

I used fake vines and leaves as anchor points, because that would be a little more sheltered than webbing on sticks alone.

I don't like arboreal enclosures for GBBs, personally. It doesn't give them enough horizontal space.
I'm glad I gave my boy more horizontal space than vertical space. He is taking full advantage of it when webbing.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
This is for a 1" D. diamantinensis but they require similar setups, I always include a hide but neither species uses them (it's webbed up between the hide and the fake plant on the right).

Top view.
DSC00001.JPG

View from "ground level". DSC00003.JPG

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
3\'\' GBB in a 8\'\' cube.jpg
My 3" in a 8" cube enclosure. About 1" topsoil, kept dry, with plastic foilage and a piece of cork placed vertically. Been in this about 6 months now. Webbing is so thick, its the hide it uses infrequently. Most often in the open, fights each time I try to remove the remaining molt piece. A 12" cube will be her next enclosure, last, after the next molt.
Give plenty of anchor points, water dish, dry substrate and regular feedings and it will be fine. Although semi-arboreal, most stay near or on the ground. Yours may choose a more arboreal lifestyle as my P. irminia has, usually at the top of the enclosure. ;) No guarantees on how they decide to live, even sack mates will differ.

Spiderguy47

Arachnoknight
I would also like to know the best position for a heat mat. I know that it shouldn't be under the enclosure but should I put it on the same or opposite side of the hide?

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I'm glad I gave my boy more horizontal space than vertical space. He is taking full advantage of it when webbing.
Mine did as well, had the entire thing webbed up. It was so pretty. I'm a sucker for a heavy-webber.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I would also like to know the best position for a heat mat. I know that it shouldn't be under the enclosure but should I put it on the same or opposite side of the hide?
What temps are you keeping them at? All tarantulas should do well at room temperature unless you live in Siberia's most poorly insulated house.

clive 82

Arachnoknight
Don't use heat mats, they are dangerous for Ts. If your room gets cold its better to heat the room either using your central heating or a space heater. In the winter my house gets quite cold, around high 60s, low 70s & my Ts including GBB do fine. If your comfortable then your T will be fine.

Spiderguy47

Arachnoknight
It is usually about 68-70 in my house but I read that a GBB usually requires 78-82

clive 82

Arachnoknight
It is usually about 68-70 in my house but I read that a GBB usually requires 78-82
That should be fine. My house gets around the same at night in winter. Obviously the heating goes on during the day. If your concerned you could use a portable style heater to heat the room.
Ive never had any probs at those kind of temps though. The only thing is that Ts kept at cooler temps may not grow as quick or be as active as those kept at higher temps.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
That's on the low side of the "fine" range, as long as temps don't drop below 64°F for extended periods of time then it shouldn't cause any problems.

Audiot

Arachnopeon

Here is how I keep mine. Lots to climb on, good ventalation on the sides, and a water dish. The flower in the picture serves as a ground hide and anchor points for its web. :)

Cork bark and a few fake leaves or twigs would be good. I use fake plants from walmart or the dollar store and wash them well before hot glueing them into the enclosure.
that looks suspiciously like a grinder.... :)

alexlovesspiders

Arachnopeon
Last edited: