Whats the best large tarantula?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Whats the best large tarantula for handling other than obv species such as rosehair, chaco and blonde. Has to be a legal species in Australia.
All of the native Australian tarantulas are unsuitable for handling (a practice most of us recommend against anyway). I don't think you'll be able to find legal tarantulas that have mild venom and a docile temperament in Australia.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
A. geniculata. I recommend buying an adult female so that you can start handling right away. Have fun!

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
A. geniculata. I recommend buying an adult female so that you can start handling right away. Have fun!
I'm assuming this is satire, DO NOT hold an A genic, I have two and they're insanely food aggressive they bite first!

BigCupOjoe

Arachnopeon
I'm not sure if A. Avicularia is legal to own in Australia... but my 6" A. Avicularia (Metallic Pinktoe) is fairly large and allows handling. You have to be careful with handling arboreal T's though. They have a tendency to jump, which can scare the living hell out of a non-experienced keeper. If you are able to obtain one, my recommendation is that you only handle it in rare circumstances (as with any tarantula... please remember they are not domesticated "wild" animals like birds or mice, they are 100% wild animals) while holding it no more than 1 ft over carpet or another padded surface in the event of a jump to prevent a fatal fall. Also watch out for the abdomen rubbing. It is very cute, but no, they are not rubbing their butt on you. They don't flick hairs like other T's; when they do this they are sticking hairs directly into your skin... take it from me, these hairs suck!

Hope that helps!

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
We're only allowed to keep native species in Australia, and all of them possess a potent venom, in addition to being quite high strung. If you want a big spider to handle, I recommend one of our larger huntsman species like Holconia immanis or Beregama aurea. They may be a bit on the faster side, but their bites are of negligible threat, and they're nowhere near as likely to be injured by a fall.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Pterinochilus murinus Gets about 6 inches and is super docile and easy to hold.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
This thread is pretty indicative that people don't really read, they skim.

The only T's that are legal to own/buy in Australia are Australian T's. And you wouldn't want to handle any of them.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
As often happens - the OP has not been here since Friday, when he likely came on to find out that he wasn't going to get the answer that he wanted and decided to not tune into this channel anymore.

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
As often happens - the OP has not been here since Friday, when he likely came on to find out that he wasn't going to get the answer that he wanted and decided to not tune into this channel anymore.
Total confirmation bias. I am reminded of a quote from the great scholar Jordan Maxwell:

"look at the whole truth, where ever it may go"

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
This thread is pretty indicative that people don't really read, they skim.

The only T's that are legal to own/buy in Australia are Australian T's. And you wouldn't want to handle any of them.
Totally agree with your assessment.

...and in addition let me recommend the Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens and a great species. :bag:

ThorsCarapace22

Arachnosquire
So many post... So much cringe... I dont know how you old timers put up with all this cringe. Even I have posted cringy things.....jeez man.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Because you've asked this question on multiple threads im guessing you are going to handle regardless of what any of us say. While i do so reluctantly, go with Selenotypus Wallace. Reasonably large and like 20% more docile than most of others but that doesnt say much when you're talking Aussie T's. Their bite is no less painful or more predictable than any other T, and its rumoured that they have the strongest insecticidal peptides in their venom of any T. Now im not planning on having potent insecticides injected into my blood any time soon, but by all means go ahead. Its best to just leave them

Ftang5

Arachnopeon
if you want a pet you can handle a tarantula isnt for you, go get a liocheles karschii or waigiensis as they are very docile and (almost) dont sting. reluctant answer: depends on how large you mean, absolutely huge 25cm tarantula? well only phlogius get that big but have a " fill em full 'o' holes and pump em' full 'o' venom" attitude, and you probably wont want to keep tarantulas after being bitten by one as it will turn your next 2 weeks into a pain filled fever dream with a side of muscle cramps and vomiting, phlogius are basically terrestrial pokies. selenotypus are more docile (will still not hesitate to plunge those snake sized fangs into your arm) but are smaller, around half the size.

sarcastic answer: selenothous kotzman are the calmest and fairly large species, they love i when you pet their abdomen and will often give you tarantula kisses in return for doing so.

if you do handle your T video it and upload it, id be eagerly waiting to see you be filled to the brim with instant regret probably followed by a chain of expletives, but less so to see a T turned into a splat.

Last edited: