Have You Seen...? What's New In the Upgrade

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
1. The icons for liking and the others- the change now requires me to hover my mouse over the Like, wait for a pop-up and select the other icons. It's so much easier to have all the icons out in front as they were before. It was a 1 set process, see and click. Now it's a 2 step process, I don't like this. Can you put it back to what it used to be?
This should now be changed back. We'll see what other users have to say.
I hate to be contrarian, but would it be possible to add a setting to toggle between expanding all of the reactions (current setting) or compressing them into a single reaction button (previous setting)?

Alternatively, would it be possible to expand them on just the desktop version but compress them on the mobile version?

I don't mind having all of the reactions on the desktop version, but on the mobile version, they take up quite a bit of "real estate" (often more than the text itself), and it seems like it would be easier to accidentally react to a post while scrolling on the display.

I like that they pop up again as soon as you have the cursor in the relevant post and that there are even more options like "thanks" "mind-blown" and "wow"! :) But is it just me or did the "dislike" and "disagree" buttons disappear?
Yes, they have. I hadn't noticed. They are available in the options in the gallery, but not on in the forum.
Yeah they are gone for now it seems, and we need them both back.

Jeez I HOPE the forum hasn't become victim to society's "rule" of everyone has to be a winner, that we always agree yada yada yada.
It turns out that these reactions still exist; they're just not available in the Arachnoboards Information category.

It depends on the forum that you are in. Not all reactions are available in all forums.
They're not available in the arachnoboards information forums (I don't care if anyone dislikes or disagrees with what I say) :rofl:

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
1. Thanks I see the icons have been changed, hope it stays that way.
May need to go back to the way it was. What looks good on desktop doesn't necessarily look good on mobile:

1580599614108.png

That isn't anything that's changed on the forums. That's the difference between attaching a full size image to a post or embedding it from the gallery and is up to the user making the post.

For mail messages, it was easier to see things when avatars weren't usesd to identify the sender, the sender's name was only used if I recall. The use of an avatar is confusing because people change them, plus I can't remember who's avatar goes to who hah, unless it's yours a like 2 other people.
Set it back to the default. Not sure what the difference is personally.

Yeah they are gone for now it seems, and we need them both back.
They're still there, just not for use in the Arachnoboards Information forums

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
I hate to be contrarian, but would it be possible to add a setting to toggle between expanding all of the reactions (current setting) or compressing them into a single reaction button (previous setting)?

Alternatively, would it be possible to expand them on just the desktop version but compress them on the mobile version?

I don't mind having all of the reactions on the desktop version, but on the mobile version, they take up quite a bit of "real estate" (often more than the text itself), and it seems like it would be easier to accidentally react to a post while scrolling on the display.
I agree with you and I'm looking into it. If there is no way to compress them on mobile and keep them expanded on desktop, then it's going to be compressed on all

Pyroxian

Arachnophobophiliac
Since the post reply options emoji options also drives the reaction options for replies, I would argue that removing dislike and disagree from any sub-forum which allows replies is a bad choice. Bite reports, for sale, etc, maybe, but this one? I both dislike and disagree with that decision.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
May need to go back to the way it was. What looks good on desktop doesn't necessarily look good on mobile:

View attachment 332741

That isn't anything that's changed on the forums. That's the difference between attaching a full size image to a post or embedding it from the gallery and is up to the user making the post.

Set it back to the default. Not sure what the difference is personally.

They're still there, just not for use in the Arachnoboards Information forums
Expanded makes more sense I think. Let those mobile users eat cake! If we were using TapaTalk again, I'd be all over the mobile.

Seriously though I looked at my phone..I actually like the double row of emoticons at the bottom of the message because the button sizes are larger. Now I don't have to enlarge the screen to prevent hitting the wrong emoticon by accident.

Thanks for the clarification on the other points.

I like the default inbox setting now. Now I can actually tell who sent me a message without having to click on the message. I just couldn't remember what avatar went to a given person. Now it's condensed, looks great, more efficient.

Thanks for listening as always.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Hate starting off a new format with a gripe but, those vote things. Welcome to Disneyland up in your face 'this site doesn't take itself too seriously' statement. On the bright side, it will keep me from stomping a like/dislike just to avoid ever seeing that Romper Room scene.

Otherwise, looking good! Great job, MrD.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
On the old system when you would hit “new posts” it would hide threads where you had already viewed the most recent replies, until new replies were added. Now all threads are shown when I hit new posts regardless of if I’ve read them or not, the title just isn’t in bold. This imo makes a lot of threads get burried very quickly during active hours(unless I’m in the mood to dig and scroll), which I’m not really a fan of.

On the old system when you would hit “new posts” it would hide threads where you had already viewed the most recent replies, until new replies were added. Now all threads are shown when I hit new posts regardless of if I’ve read them or not, the title just isn’t in bold. This imo makes a lot of threads get burried very quickly during active hours(unless I’m in the mood to dig and scroll), which I’m not really a fan of.
I’ve just realized this is when I hit “what’s new”, not new posts(which may also be an addition?).

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Bookmark (and make notes about) individual posts to come back to:

View attachment 332577
But you didn't mention where to access the bookmarks after you save them - I found them in my account tab in the top right. Is there somewhere else? I love this feature too, by the way. The bookmarking I'm going to do is going to be epic.

Annotation 2020-02-01 215948.jpg

Can you also please explain the purpose of, and how to use, the 'Select for Moderation' squares? I started checkmarking a couple of them and, even after I unchecked them, I was getting a message that there were posts marked for moderation.

Last edited:

Arachnopets

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
But you didn't mention where to access the bookmarks after you save them - I found them in my account tab in the top right. Is there somewhere else? I love this feature too, by the way. The bookmarking I'm going to do is going to be epic.

View attachment 332768

Can you also please explain the purpose of, and how to use, the 'Select for Moderation' squares? I started checkmarking a couple of them and, even after I unchecked them, I was getting a message that there were posts marked for moderation.
Can you please let me know exactly where you are seeing to select for moderation? Which sections? Which threads? Screenshots would be helpful.

Thanks!

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Seriously though I looked at my phone..I actually like the double row of emoticons at the bottom of the message because the button sizes are larger. Now I don't have to enlarge the screen to prevent hitting the wrong emoticon by accident.
It's definitely easier to select the correct reaction on the mobile version than it was before the site upgrade. Though if they have to be compressed on the mobile version (and I'd prefer that they are), once you click the like button to open the reaction panel, the icons are still large enough to select with precision.

Moderators use them to select threads that need to be merged, moved, etc. They shouldn't be present -- let alone functional -- for regular users.

If you select a thread and then click the X or select "deselect all" from the drop-down menu, it should de-select all threads for you.

Last edited:

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
The other place they can be found are on your account page:

1580626286667.png

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Expanded makes more sense I think. Let those mobile users eat cake! If we were using TapaTalk again, I'd be all over the mobile.
Sorry @viper69, for now you're going to have to make that extra click. We went back to the previous way. Might change in the future, but for now, it's how it has to be.

I’ve just realized this is when I hit “what’s new”, not new posts(which may also be an addition?).
Actually discussed this in a different thread:

Specifically, this post:

Regards,
MrD

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sorry @viper69, for now you're going to have to make that extra click. We went back to the previous way. Might change in the future, but for now, it's how it has to be.

Actually discussed this in a different thread:

Specifically, this post:

Regards,
MrD
Man, this is a bummer. I will end up with some muscle disorder with such repetitive movements :rofl: Thank you for taking the time to test it out. Why did you change it back because of the GUI for the mobile users?

@MrDeranged Thanks for putting the Disagree and Dislike icons back in.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
What I'm really missing are the image options in the galleries like enlarging, etc. (or am I just too blind to find them :rolleyes:). Attached files in the 'normal' forums still have them.

image options.jpg

Especially, when trying to sex a moult I often need to zoom in into the picture. Before I just had to click on the magnifying glass icon and could zoom in, now I have to copy the image link, transfer it to a new browser window and then I can zoom in. That's very inconvenient. ;)

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
What I'm really missing are the image options in the galleries like enlarging, etc. (or am I just too blind to find them :rolleyes:). Attached files in the 'normal' forums still have them.

View attachment 332839

Especially, when trying to sex a moult I often need to zoom in into the picture. Before I just had to click on the magnifying glass icon and could zoom in, now I have to copy the image link, transfer it to a new browser window and then I can zoom in. That's very inconvenient. ;)
Apparently upon further research into this, the newer version of the Forum gallery has done away with this functionality. :( I'm not any happier about this than you are, but there is nothing that I can do. The official response from the software creators is to "right click" on the picture and select "open in new tab" and you will see the "fuller size" version of the picture. Sorry for the inconvenience :(