Have You Seen...? What's New In the Upgrade

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Hey All,

Just figured I'd give a small run down of some of the new things that you'll find in the upgraded software.

Style Quick Change: (just click the "changing booth icon" to the left of the search icon)
View attachment stylequickchange.mp4

Change Forum Width: (for those of you that may like a thinner viewing experience)

View attachment changewidth.mp4

Push Notifications: Have notifications sent directly to your desktop or mobile device (Unfortunately does not work with Apple devices)

1580511537181.png

Please note: This must be done per device that you want to receive the notifications on.

Bookmark (and make notes about) individual posts to come back to:

1580511809011.png

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
That's most of the major stuff that I can remember offhand.

What changes have you found? :D

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I am LOVING the New Thread shortcut at the top. What a piece of brilliance that is.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
I am LOVING the New Thread shortcut at the top. What a piece of brilliance that is.
Forgot about that one. :)

For those that may not know what @Vanessa is talking about, all forums (that you have the ability to post in) now have a "Quick thread post" section:

1580581682160.png

Just start typing the title you want for your thread and the box will expand for you to make your post.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I tried to use the push notifications yesterday on my desktop at work and they didn't work for me.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
PC using Windows 10.
Yes, I used the 'Enable Push Notifications' option. I have done it again right now with my home Windows 10 PC and I will see if it works here.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
@MrDeranged I must say I like the layout. Everything is working for me so far. Looking forward to checking out more of the updates.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There's a few things I've noticed that I don't like because the execution of such changes makes for a less efficient user experience regarding time.

1. The icons for liking and the others- the change now requires me to hover my mouse over the Like, wait for a pop-up and select the other icons. It's so much easier to have all the icons out in front as they were before. It was a 1 set process, see and click. Now it's a 2 step process, I don't like this. Can you put it back to what it used to be?

2. When you click on a post where the poster has images, it seems the page formatting is "fatter". The image embedded into the person's post is larger (why?), thus I now have to scroll down more to see more posts. I could see more posts without scrolling previously. Not happy at all on this. And my PC's monitor is not low tech, it's large, and a 2k with small font size

3. Where is the button that allows a poster to insert pictures they had stored up on site's server? I don't see this at all. The insert button only has a field for a link I believe, and various approved sites that I never use- no need. This is confusing.

4. The same issue with wider formatting for the inbox is true too. There's a lot of wasted space within each listed message. I have to scroll too much again. Why...

5. I think the font in each person's designation should be bolded. For example mine is Old Timer and ArachnoGod, they both should be bolded so people can see them better when they are looking at a user.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
1. The icons for liking and the others- the change now requires me to hover my mouse over the Like, wait for a pop-up and select the other icons. It's so much easier to have all the icons out in front as they were before. It was a 1 set process, see and click. Now it's a 2 step process, I don't like this. Can you put it back to what it used to be?
This should now be changed back. We'll see what other users have to say.

2. When you click on a post where the poster has images, it seems the page formatting is "fatter". The image embedded into the person's post is larger (why?), thus I now have to scroll down more to see more posts. I could see more posts without scrolling previously. Not happy at all on this. And my PC's monitor is not low tech, it's large, and a 2k with small font size
Not sure what you mean by this. Screenshots please?

3. Where is the button that allows a poster to insert pictures they had stored up on site's server? I don't see this at all. The insert button only has a field for a link I believe, and various approved sites that I never use- no need. This is confusing.
There should now be a camera icon between the "video camera" and "smilies" icons

4. The same issue with wider formatting for the inbox is true too. There's a lot of wasted space within each listed message. I have to scroll too much again. Why...
Not sure what you mean. Screenshots please

5. I think the font in each person's designation should be bolded. For example mine is Old Timer and ArachnoGod, they both should be bolded so people can see them better when they are looking at a user.
Personal preference. Not changing at this time.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Another change, that I HOPE can be changed.

When I'm typing in a reply box...I need to highlight words (c/p for spelling etc), the background highlight color is an extremely "invisible" grey hahah. At first I thought the text wasn't highlighted.

This doesn't happen when I select someone else's post, the background is blue against the text color--- EASY to see.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Not sure what you mean by this. Screenshots please?

There should now be a camera icon between the "video camera" and "smilies" icons

Not sure what you mean. Screenshots please

Personal preference. Not changing at this time.

As I'm first using the site today. I will say certain things do move faster thankfully. Such as mini pop ups when you hover over someone names avatar.

1. Thanks I see the icons have been changed, hope it stays that way.

2. Screenshots-- maybe this link is helpful https://arachnoboards.com/threads/various-type-enclosures.329320/

I wouldn't have to scroll so far to see a single image.

Screenshot- images sure seem larger to me

Tank.JPG

3 Camera icon works! Pops up fast too, much faster than previous software version, impressive!!

4. mail.JPG

For mail messages, it was easier to see things when avatars weren't usesd to identify the sender, the sender's name was only used if I recall. The use of an avatar is confusing because people change them, plus I can't remember who's avatar goes to who hah, unless it's yours a like 2 other people.

Just seems the space of each mail (meaning the height of each mail line item, bounded by faint tan horizontal line) is wider/taller than before.

I also think the same is true for the subforum- am I wrong here? The space a single message/post takes up seems wider/taller, ie I'm scrolling down more.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I like that they pop up again as soon as you have the cursor in the relevant post and that there are even more options like "thanks" "mind-blown" and "wow"! :) But is it just me or did the "dislike" and "disagree" buttons disappear?

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I like that they pop up again as soon as you have the cursor in the relevant post and that there are even more options like "thanks" "mind-blown" and "wow"! :) But is it just me or did the "dislike" and "disagree" buttons disappear?
Yes, they have. I hadn't noticed. They are available in the options in the gallery, but not on in the forum.
I love that the same options are also available in the gallery, when it used to be just 'like'.
Love all the new 'Smilies' and I love even more that you can do a search on them. I found 'drool' in seconds.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Yeah they are gone for now it seems, and we need them both back.

Jeez I HOPE the forum hasn't become victim to society's "rule" of everyone has to be a winner, that we always agree yada yada yada.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Also missing, a new feature on the last forum engine from the one before that, the brown dot that appeared to the left of a thread.:sorry:When you click on it, it brought user to the most recent post of thread. I felt the dot was a bit too small, but it was better than nothing!

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
When I'm typing in a reply box...I need to highlight words (c/p for spelling etc), the background highlight color is an extremely "invisible" grey hahah. At first I thought the text wasn't highlighted.
Increasing the contrast of the highlight color (in BB code mode) would be helpful.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Glitch? When the message alert bell has new messages/responses etc...BUT when I hover the cursor over the bell, unlike the last forum engine, there is no drop down list showing some of the replies etc. You have to click on the bell to see any of them. Glitch or new engine???

When I do hover over the bell, the color behind the bell changes, gets darker giving impression to user that a button has been pushed, but no messages. Just more info for you.

Increasing the contrast of the highlight color (in BB code mode) would be helpful.
I know nothing of BB code.

I LOVE the Up arrow placed in quoted posts, now it makes it easier to find the original post quoted, nice time saver!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I know nothing of BB code.
It's the gear that toggles editing modes when you are composing or editing a post. The modes are BB code (default) and plain text (all formatting options greyed out). The low contrast is only present in BB code mode, which is unfortunate, since you need to highlight words to use the formatting buttons.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's the gear that toggles editing modes when you are composing or editing a post. The modes are BB code (default) and plain text (all formatting options greyed out). The low contrast is only present in BB code mode, which is unfortunate, since you need to highlight words to use the formatting buttons.
Let me be more specific. I know what the Gear is, and for. Never used it.

Just would be nice to have the selected text blue background/white font not fog grey that has an opacity of 0.000001% hah.