What's my A Avic. doing?

UserName?

Arachnopeon
First of all I would like to say hi this is my first post here and I'm quite new to the hobby.

a couple of days ago I noticed one of my pinktoes' had crawled into a fake tree stump style decoration and has built a web in a crevice blocking itself in. Judging by the amount of space it appears to have I don't think it has very much room to move. So today after not seeing it reappear I turned the stump on its side and blew at the web and it was still moving around so I know its not dead but is it gonna be soon? or is it near a molt? or just being anti-social (there is one other slightly smaller one in there too.)?

Any help will be appreciated.

scjones22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
DO NO BLOW ON IT. Avics are reclusive like thatand they wed everything. just keep it moist and allow plenty of ventilation and it will be fine. Usually when they start webbing like that it means they are comfortable. Dont disturb them. But good luck

Last edited:

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If she's closed herself off and not eating, she's in premolt and will not want to be distrubed. It's a very sensative and fragile time for them so she'll be a lot better off if you just accept that you wont see her untill she's recovered from the molt. If she's adult, it could take a few weeks so be patient.

elyanalyous

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
let me get this right... are you cohabitating them? you may want to separate them, or you *may* (and most likely will) end up with one big fat spider:wall:

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
blowing on T

blowing air on a T is definitely what not to do. They are bothered and irritated by it and may react with a bite, or a run, or, if handling, jumping to its death. If you need to check on the T, gently move the tree and you can coax her out with your hand, or tongs if you prefer. Unlikely she would run, probably just slowly move into the open. Better to not unduly disturb the T, if its happily living in the tree hide, let her be. And you said you had another one in there? you may want to reconsider, and house both separately.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sounds like an upcoming moult, however if you have several living together and this particular one is female, she could be gettng ready to lay an eggsack.

mikeymo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i'm going to go ahead and agree that it's pre-molt behavior. my pinktoe was acting very similarly and just molted last night. She did it when i was sleeping, of course. i swear that T gets a kick out of sassing me.