What's growing in my substrate?

Ben Do

Arachnosquire
I was recently looking at my s. calceatum's enclosure and I noticed by her main web bed are these rice shaped "eggs."

These "eggs" are only on the damp part of the substrate, half of it is mostly dry. None of my other enclosures have this issue, even the more moisture dependent ones.

When I set her up (I haven't rehoused her since getting her), I added some spring tails and see them interacting with the eggs but I'm sure are not it.

My only other explanation is possible cricket eggs? I threw in a large female cricket that was inside for over a day because the T wasn't eating.

Is it worth changing the substrate (I'd prefer not to disturb her home too much for obvious reasons).

Attachments

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
Springtails are waaay beyond tackling them things. Either trash that section or do a rehouse and nuke the substrate. Your spider will likely not be able to tackle the 10 or so w/e the heck those things are when they hatch. Substrate and a pack of springtails is almost always cheaper than a Tarantula. And the cost of life if you are willing to sit by is pretty gross.
Edit: Standing water is almost always a no-no btw.

Last edited:

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Rehouse that T completely before those things hatch. Best not to risk it, even if it bothers the T a bit.

Ben Do

Arachnosquire
Springtails are waaay beyond tackling them things. Either trash that section or do a rehouse and nuke the substrate. Your spider will likely not be able to tackle the 10 or so w/e the heck those things are when they hatch. Substrate and a pack of springtails is almost always cheaper than a Tarantula. And the cost of life if you are willing to sit by is pretty gross.
Edit: Standing water is almost always a no-no btw.
It wasn't standing water I inject the substrate with a syringe to get it moist but nonetheless I managed to replace her substrate without the caleatum getting too worked up

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was recently looking at my s. calceatum's enclosure and I noticed by her main web bed are these rice shaped "eggs."

These "eggs" are only on the damp part of the substrate, half of it is mostly dry. None of my other enclosures have this issue, even the more moisture dependent ones.

When I set her up (I haven't rehoused her since getting her), I added some spring tails and see them interacting with the eggs but I'm sure are not it.

My only other explanation is possible cricket eggs? I threw in a large female cricket that was inside for over a day because the T wasn't eating.

Is it worth changing the substrate (I'd prefer not to disturb her home too much for obvious reasons).
those sure look like fly larvae about to hatch, not crickets. Change out the crap QUICK. Flies are attracted to moist and often dead material in a setup. I could be wrong, and hope I am!

I've bred crickets. I don't remember their eggs being huge, as the crickets themselves are SUPER tiny.

Last edited: