Whats going on during molt.

tapkoote

Arachnopeon
Has anyone studied whats going on inside?
If so where can I look it up?
I’ve read the keepers guide, my only source.
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
(dumbed down version, I don't feel like Googling the proper terminology)

Long before the molt, a new exoskeleton begins to form under the current one. This is why it appears darker when a molt is around the corner, but know that it was forming long before that. After a certain point, a hormone is released that causes a lubrication fluid to be secreted between the two exoskeletons to aid in the molting process. After the molt is finished, the "old molt" is now an exuvia. The new exoskeleton, now exposed to air, will quickly scleretize (i.e. "harden"). Absolutely all exposed parts of a spider are shed during the molting process, including the eyes, fangs, and spermatheca in females. The overall molting process is complete when the fangs are fully scleretized, which can take weeks in larger specimens.

There is A LOT more to it, but I trust you know how to use the Google ;)

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
I have to say that I've been a little scared to look up scientific information about tarantulas on Google. I thought if the husbandry is so incorrect, isn't it just as likely the scientific information isn't accurate? I've been gathering all the info I can from this board and some youtube videos that have been recommended (yours) because I don't really know what are good sources for reading or viewing. I ordered The Tarantula Keepers Guide and it arrives in the mail today, so I'm looking forward to that.

tapkoote

Arachnopeon
(dumbed down version, I don't feel like Googling the proper terminology)

EulersK
Could I have the proper terminology?
I've been getting the same discription thats in the keepers guide, from google.
This B-smithi swelled up like a tic ready to burst. Then laid down a mat, hid in the cave. When she came out she was back to her normal size. What went on in her opisthosoma?
Thanks

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I have to say that I've been a little scared to look up scientific information about tarantulas on Google. I thought if the husbandry is so incorrect, isn't it just as likely the scientific information isn't accurate? I've been gathering all the info I can from this board and some youtube videos that have been recommended (yours) because I don't really know what are good sources for reading or viewing. I ordered The Tarantula Keepers Guide and it arrives in the mail today, so I'm looking forward to that.
Scientific literature is actually pretty accurate, so long as you're looking at a good source. Those are very easy to spot, though. Look for citations, .org/edu addresses, peer reviews, links from universities, and so on. Same practices that you followed in high school and college when researching for a project.

EulersK
Could I have the proper terminology?
I've been getting the same discription thats in the keepers guide, from google.
This B-smithi swelled up like a tic ready to burst. Then laid down a mat, hid in the cave. When she came out she was back to her normal size. What went on in her opisthosoma?
Thanks
Here's a starting point for your research - the proper term for molting is ecdysis, and it's virtually the same in all invertebrates.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
The TKG is alright for anatomy and such, but is very outdated on care and maintenance. There is a new edition in process, but there has not been a release date so far.