What's a good starter "T" besides a Rosie??

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, I already have a Rosie. S/he name is Alex(Boy or girl name, I dont know how to sex them:() and I was wondering what "T" would be a good #2? I was thinking of a A.seemanni, or a C. fasciaturm, or a E. rufescens. But Im not sure. Any help would be great, thanx:)

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have an E. rufescens and it's incredibly beautiful and easy to care for, but too quick and nervous for handling. I'd recommend it if you want a t that you don't want to handle as often.

My other beginner recommendations would be a B. smithi, an A. avicularia, or a G. pulchra.

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well...

I don't handle my T's. I just care for them.

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If you want a good looking T, that's active, but not too agressive, and you don't really feel the need to handle it... I can suggest a Brachypelma Boehmei. They look really cool, but kick hairs at you as soon as given the opportunity.

Good luck with you choice

Ðennis

ps. yep, my 2nd spider is a B. Boehmei too

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I would not consider an Ephebopus anything a beginner T as they are on the nervous and aggressive/defensive side of the fence. C. fasciatum isn't a bad choice as they are beautiful and unique looking, as well as easy to care for. They do spend a large amount of time out of your view, though. A. seemanni is the best of those 3 as a beginning T. Extremely easy to care for and, while nervous, are only rarely aggressive/defensive. Some will burrow or use a hide but they also will spend a fair amount of time in the open.

As a rule of thumb, the majority of the Aphonopelma, Brachypelma, and Avicularia make good beginner Ts due to docile nature, easy care habits, and wide availability. E. campestratus is another favorite for the beginning Ts but I have no experience with them.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I say go with an Avicularia species so that you can gain experience keeping an arborial.

Jon

Nemesis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I got a B. smithi 2nd, B. emilia 3rd, and a B. vagans 4th. I fretted and fumed, worrying about their eating habits and lack of mobility. Finally, I got a N. carapeonsis, and it cured me of my nerviness, as it ate well and actually grew so that I could watch it go through various stages. All my other spiders are female, North American, Terrestrials so they grow slowly. I would recommend a genic., Nhandu spec., or something along those lines if you like terrestrials.

KO

T

Tarantula

My suggestions would be the following:

A seemani
B smithi
B boehmei
A avicularia

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hahahah, remembering that order of yours James, I'm not surprised you say that :D
Just kidding with ya, and to throw my thoughts into the pile :
Arboreals won't mess up your interior designs of the tanks :)

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yea curlyhairs are great. If you give them enough substrate and privacy they can make huge burrows.
Not to mention hardy you wouldent belive what I have seen curlys go through.

In fact my first tarantula was a curly and at the time somone at the electric company made a mistake and turned off the power to my house in winter!.
it was around 50F in here at the time I only kept scorps and I knew they would survive but this tarantula (he was a spiderling) I wasent so sure.
4 days passed we filed a complaint with the public services department and it finnaly got turned on. All of my animals where alive including that spiderling curly. It was amazeing.

Oh and avics I would think are bit skittish for a beginner?.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Skittish perhaps, for handling, but then again they aren't very likely to go splat if dropped.

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Eh your right.

To tell ya the truth my cousin is going to buy one becuase hes loves T's but its the only one I have hes not scared of :rolleyes:.

Funny thing is hes like 4x bigger than me heh.

Oh and does anyone else notice that avics seem to poop ..... alot..

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I would suggest a Green Bottle Blue(Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens)
-they grow fast
-eat a lot
-very colorful
-very hardy
-skittish but not defensive

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think the A. Avic would be a nice choice. They can be a bit skittish, but they make up for that in their beauty and extremely nice temperament. I have yet to see one of mine even assume a threat posture, though I'm sure some of them will. They make beautiful webs too.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, I have an E. campestratus ( pink zebra beauty ) . They are :

1- SUPER docile
2- Very easy to care for
3- nice looking
4- pretty good sized
5- Good for handling
6- Did I mention docile ?

I would also reccomend a Chaco goldenknee , Grammostola aeriostriata.( if you can deal with a HUGE -but docile- spider ) .

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yea chacos are great I had mine go into a threat posture a few times but they never seem to strike while in the posture.

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I also would recommend the Green Bottle Blue. A great choice. Although the other ones everyone mentioned are also good choices, you just have to base your choice on whether or not you will be handling the T, colors you find interesting, and take into account that alot of T's hide ALOT. Good luck with your choice.

Andy

1-B. boehmi
1-C. cyaneopubescens
1-H. hercules
1-A. geniculata
1-C. fasciatum
1-L. parahybana
1-B. vagans
1-B. albopilosa
1-A. avicularia
1-T. pruriens
1-P. regalis
1-H. albostriatum
1-G. pulchra
1-G. aureostriatum
1-E. cyanognathus
1-M. mesomelas
1-C. crawshayi
1-C. fimbriatus
1-C. thorelli
1-B. emelia
1-A. moderatum
1-H. lividum

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Avicularia versicolor is the number 1 docile tarantulas. they are sweet and beautiful.