What's a good basic hearing pad for a Tarantula/Scorpion tank?

Jmanbeing93

Arachnosquire
I was wondering what would be a good heating pad for an acrylic tank about 30x20x15cm. (WxHxL)

What qualities do I need to look for in a heating pad intended for scorpions/tarantulas?

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
A 10 x 10 cm would probably work well, but most T's and scorps don't need heat pads. They can burn themselves if they are placed incorrectly. Any reason why you want to use one? If your house stays around 65 F and up, you shouldn't need to risk one ;)

Jmanbeing93

Arachnosquire
A 10 x 10 cm would probably work well, but most T's and scorps don't need heat pads. They can burn themselves if they are placed incorrectly. Any reason why you want to use one? If your house stays around 65 F and up, you shouldn't need to risk one ;)
I thought it was a necessity for them, besides I might move to UK, which can get cold at times. I don't know if houses there usually stay 65F.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I thought it was a necessity for them, besides I might move to UK, which can get cold at times. I don't know if houses there usually stay 65F.
General rule of thumb: If you can be comfy in your T room in a short-sleeved shirt, then it should be fine for them :D They are very hardy, only thing you may worry about is that their metabolisms will be a little slower. May not be a jumpy, eat as much, molt as much, etc. Also, if you can, a space heater is a lot better. That way, the whole room is warmer and there are no risks of burning/overheating ;)

Jmanbeing93

Arachnosquire
@WeightedAbyss75

Thank you very much for help, so if I feel uncomfortably hot or cold, it's too hot/cold for the spider?

How much is a space heater by the way? Just asking before I google it.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
@WeightedAbyss75

Thank you very much for help, so if I feel uncomfortably hot or cold, it's too hot/cold for the spider?

How much is a space heater by the way? Just asking before I google it.
It is, from what I have heard, a decent chunk of cash. However, they could probably last a few weeks without any heat if it's a little colder. If your house is 60 or below, you will need a heater IMO 62-64 is on the low end, but they can deal. But yeah, if you are comfy, then they are too. Even if it is a little colder than you like, it's not a huge deal ;)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was wondering what would be a good heating pad for an acrylic tank about 30x20x15cm. (WxHxL)

What qualities do I need to look for in a heating pad intended for scorpions/tarantulas?
None necessary, esp for a T.

Have fun exporting your animal, that's always hard on animals. Hope yours makes it.

@WeightedAbyss75

Generally yes.

I've raised all my Ts with a night of 68-72F/day 72-78F, regardless of species. Never an issue to my knowledge.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I need to export mine within the next month or so, and I have over 14 animals. My plan is to take the slow drive from Chicago to Indiana (about a 3 hour trip) and transport them in their enclosures. It's not a huge trip really, but really don't want to try and pack them into shipping vials with paper towels etc. Usually, the two ways to do it are to transport the enclosures with the animals or to take the animal out, pack them like you are going to ship them, and either put them in the mail to your new location or simply take them like that.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
I am intending on getting a T when I get settled in the UK but sake of curiosity, how do I export a T? They seem awfully delicate.
Awesome, thank you very much. What about winter time?
Here's my suggestion, acquire your inverts after settling in to the U.K.
Going from the U.S. into the U.K. without the necessary documents, importing, an invert or any live animal for that matter, may result in unexpected legal repercussions.
Nearly 40 years ago, I had a Rottweiler puppy shipped from Germany to the U.S. Sooo much documentation was needed prior to coming into the U.S. it made my head spin. In the long run, it was worth it to me. RIP Caito, we'll meet again at the Rainbow Bridge.
As far as heating an enclosure, I DO use them, but are regulated by a t'stat. I always chuckle when "if you're comfortable the invert is comfortable" response is given. In the winter, I'm comfortable at 62°-64°F, are the inverts comfortable then? NO!! I built a room in the basement especially for them, heated to around 76°F, a separate heated cabinet for some invert species requiring mid 80°-92°F. The main room uses, for heating purposes, a space heater and adds $25-30 to my electric bill monthly.
I raise/breed both S. lateralis and B. dubia feeders that have Flexwatt mats regulated by a t'stat w/h surface mount probes. Between both, they use about 40 watts of electricity when energized, or an extra $2 on my bill, very cheap to heat.
What it boils down to is, what species, how many, environmental (home) conditions and $$$ to spend. 1, 2 or 3 enclosures in the living room, personally use mats, IF IT WAS NECESSARY. I know there are t'stats available that have multiple probes to regulate separate enclosures, expensive? Depends on your definition. If you're keeping a plethora of inverts, I WOULD advise a quality space heater for the room. To use or not to use mats is your decision, after all its the invert's comfort that matters most.
Best of luck in the U.K. hope you enjoy the move. Btw, R.I. "rocks", state of my birth, Providence. :)

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I'm in the U.K. and I don't use or need them, I understand your point though I was under the same impression, but now, after 10+ years in the hobby you don't need them, as long as your comfortable in a t-shirt then the spiders will e comfortable as well, hope this discourages you from using them apart from the fact they can de-hydrate a tarantula in no time at all, hope this helps alleviate any worries regarding the use of heat mats/pads....

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I am intending on getting a T when I get settled in the UK but sake of curiosity, how do I export a T? They seem awfully delicate.

Awesome, thank you very much. What about winter time?
We do have central heating nowadays, joke, My T room sits at 75f consistently, in summer it gets a bit warmer and in winter slightly colder but only by a degree or two, I'm in Scotland, so we are a bit colder than other parts of the U.K. but not by much.

Jason Brantley

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I use to have at least 20 11x11 T-Rex Cobra Heat pads back in the day. Worked awesome. I got them all at Petco. I think they are from Scotland or something. I can't find them anywhere they might have gone out of business. Your scorpions won't be very active if you don't use a heat pad though especially if it's kinda chilly where you live. You could probably plug them in during the winter and unplug them during the summer. Nowadays, Exo-Terra and Zoo Med make those stupid heat pads where they are permanent. If you put one on your tank it stays there forever! (I already e-mailed Exo-Terra about that a few months ago)