whatdya think?

spideyboy

Arachnopeon
hi everyone, i just attempted to mate my male p. ornata to my female. after some nudging on my part, the male started drumming and the female starting trembling her pedipalps and first pair of legs. then she arched up and the male connected twice for about a split second. is it possible there was a successful insertion? afterwards the female seemed much less interested and the male kinda just stood there. now they're living together, which i dont see as a problem since the two were pretty friendly towards each other.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
As pink tarantula suggested to take it out, you could do that, depending on the size of the cage, or you can have them cohabit. I'm pretty darn sure pokies are one that "tolerate" each other, but that is no guarantee.

If I were mating pokies I would cohabite them off and on(keep him in a couple of days, then let him out and rest for a week or two, then put back in. Of course this all depends on how the female acts toward him.), like I'm doing with the C.fasciatums I'm trying to breed at the momment.

spideyboy

Arachnopeon
well they're both in one of those large critter keepers. and they seem really chill towards each other. i think im gonna do the few days in a couple weeks out deal. i also put in a lot of crickets.

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I had a male regalis that cohabitated with my female for about 5 months. He ended up dying of old age. If she does eat him it's probably because she needs the nourishment to produce a sac. Personally, I'd leave them together.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
tkae the male out soon!! unless you want that girlie to bbe fat
Nonsense!! Pokes will usually cohabitate for several weeks

I'm pretty darn sure pokies are one that "tolerate" each other, but that is no guarantee.

If I were mating pokies I would cohabite them off and on(keep him in a couple of days, then let him out and rest for a week or two, then put back in.
Pokes will cohabitate fairly well. I just had a pair of P striatas cohabitate for 3 months!!! The trick is to catch the female during the right time of the molt cycle, generally a month or two after molting.

spideyboy

Arachnopeon
even if she is hungry, won't she just go for all the crickets i put in? or is the male always the primary target regardless?