What your first Tarantula and how did it go?

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Avicularia from a petstore. I set her up alright, just didn't give her enough webbing anchors. She still made a web tube and hung out. She had a wet molt sadly and died.

Alana

Arachnopeon
G. porteri, B. smithi and B. albopilosum sub-adults given to me when I was around 19/20 to get over my phobia of spiders. All kept in Contico boxes with eco-earth, water bowl and a cork hide. Probably not enough substrate looking back. They all fed and moulted well and apart from the B. smithi which flicked hairs, they had very good temperaments and I got over my fear enough to get more tarantulas. I had to sell everything when I was pregnant with my first, so I'm not sure if they're still around or not.

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
I don't have my own yet, but a few years ago I bought a G. pulchripes for my husband. (It was an anniversary gift.). He named it Serenity and we've called it "she" all this time, but now it seems to be a male. I don't know. It's over double the size it was when I bought it and is still healthy and lovely.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
I got my first 2 at an expo in Portland. I'm pretty sure the vendor was Jacobi. I had done a lot of research and was elated to find both of the species I wanted at his booth. I left with a 3/4" Avicularia versicolor sling and a 1" Grammostola pulchra sling. Both thrived, and when the versi matured male I traded him for a female Ceratogyrus darlingi. The pulchra is a female and I still have her. It went very well for me.

Janie

Arachnopeon
I started about 8 weeks ago with two slings 1.5cm Philogius Sarina and Philogius Rubisetta.

I have been making a list, confessions of a new tarantula owner. Here goes

Forgive me Anansi for I have sinned.

I had read arachnoboards and knew better but...
-Over feed my slings and I mean a live cricket and a piece of meal worm every night.
-I dug up my Sarina after a moult because I hadn't seen her and she had a broken cage on delivery, she climbed out of her burrow very offended.
-I touched my plumpies because I was worried when I saw clear water in its mouth after feeding.
-I probably over moistened my two first slings substrate (two weeks in) and am waiting for it to dry out a little, back to the moist stage.
-Opening the lid of the enclosure of my first two (a lot)
-Initially choosing a sunny window spot to keep them, ( half a day)
-To heat lamp or not, initially no then yes then no then yes but with monitoring, then no.

-I lost a baby scorpion, outside when giving time in the sun. I think a bird ate it.

Oh dear re reading the list seems terrible.

Anansi forgive me.

Graves6661

Arachnosquire
My first is my MM GBB. Got him off the classifieds here on the forum as a juvenile. Started out about 3" and grew like crazy. Molted about every 3-4 months and was a suspected female. Then he surprised me when he molted earlier this year and hooked out. Now hes a beautiful 4.75" male that paired up nicely with a friend of mines mature female.

Zenith

Arachnopeon
I started two years ago with a 1/4" G. pulchra. He/she is about two inches now and is still going strong.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Started out a bit over a year ago with a 1.5-2" B. smithi female. She's about 4" now and recently returned to me after having a bit of a walkabout (aka escape). She's doing well and was indeed a gateway tarantula as I will, as of tomorrow, have 12 Ts. I did "ok" for my first as far as setup. Not enough sub, too worried about humidity and temp numbers, but I had been reading AB for a while before I got her so it wasn't too bad.