What would you get?

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Say you had an extra 4 or 5000 usd coming your way you could spend however you wish, and you were considering spending around a thousand dollars on your favorite hobby, a bit more wouldn't hurt.

Me personally, I am considering spending 3-500 or some species that I want just because I want them. Then after that I had considered possibly spending up to 1000 to get a little breeding setup started, start really contributing to the hobby.

What species would you recommend for a new inexperienced breeder? What advice do you have? I plan on talking to @cold blood soon for advice on starting up soon a little closer to the date, but what species would you like to see more in the classifieds?

I'm highly considering a MM and MF Euathlus sp red, they just need to be more common.

Also considering A. seemani, Avicularia versicolor or purpurea, GBB, T. Cyaneolum (just because I never see them available), maybe N. Chromatus?

What do you guys think?

Andy00

Arachnoknight
Imo I'd like to see more purpureas because they're beautiful and they could be cheaper. I'm planning my first breeding project to be with b vagans.

Arcana

Arachnopeon
I would spend good money on shelves and habitats, make them loog good and easy to access. And then... The best part, Ts! I'm not too inspired in owning too many species, I have 4 slings that are all different species and maybe in the future I'll purchase fifth speciment, my dream T E. murinus. That's when I have more experience. Untill then... I would spend some money on getting a nice tarantula tattoo and look after my babies and watch them grow in their awesome enclosures! :)

Ceymann

Arachnoknight
For a first time breeding project I'd go with P.murinus or A. avic, sure they are not rare in the hobby but are pretty easy and would be good for getting your feet wet. I plan on starting with Avics for my fist attempt.
Things like LPs and B. vagans are fairly easy too from what I have read, but the numbers of resulting slings would be pretty overwhelming to care for, not to mention get rid of.

rally

Arachnosquire
B.albiceps!
B.annitha!
B.auratum!
B.emilia!
B.klaasi!
G.iheringi!

Last edited:

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
If I had that kind of cash laying around for spiders, I would get two huge communal terrariums set up with plants and lighting. One for Monocentropus balfouri with rock ledges, cacti etc. and one for Pamphobeteus sp. "Chicken Spider" with all the tropical elements.

cold blood

Staff member
For starting a breeding project or projects, there are things to first consider. First, is ease of pairing/breeding....don't choose something that's notoriously difficult to breed. Many of the Brachy's (aside from vagans and albopilosum) are tough to get sacs from for instance, as are rose hairs. Also don't choose something where sac size would be overwhelming, things like an Lp would be terrible for a first times, even though they breed readily....no one new to breeding needs to be saddled with 1000+ little ones to take care of...which leads me to the third criteria....breed something that will be easy to move....things like H. mac, LP, OBT and B. vagans are all ts with little value and consistently flooded markets, experienced breeders, with connections, have a difficult time moving sacs of these and some other species.

Availability is another...T. cyaneolum would be great, but I've literally never seen a male, much less a male for sale somewhere in the US. Here in the US, okerti would give you the best availability and be a decent choice in that genus.

Good first timers should be relatively easy to get a sac from, and popular or rare enough that they would be easy to move...Avics would be good choices, they (generally) pair relatively easy, all species are popular enough to sell in a timely manner...although terrestrial slings, at least at first instar, would be less tricky and likely result in fewer losses.

If you had experience, Psalms (esp pulcher and reduncus) would be another good genus to look at along with any Poec species.....Baboons like Ceratogryus, Pternicus (not murinus, thinking lugardi) or Augecaphelous would work as well. Iridopelma would be another genus to inquire about, closely related to Avics and gaining popularity. A. geniculata and N. chromatus are species always desired (N. tripepii and carpeonesis are rarer and even more desirable Nhandu), and although they have large sacs, that desirability will keep them moving and theyre easy slings to raise due to both their great appetites and good growth rates.

Eauthlus would be good (any species, really), but with those tenny slings, raising them might be a bigger PITA, but the hobby needs more and they are certainly popular enough right now.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
For starting a breeding project or projects, there are things to first consider. First, is ease of pairing/breeding....don't choose something that's notoriously difficult to breed. Many of the Brachy's (aside from vagans and albopilosum) are tough to get sacs from for instance, as are rose hairs. Also don't choose something where sac size would be overwhelming, things like an Lp would be terrible for a first times, even though they breed readily....no one new to breeding needs to be saddled with 1000+ little ones to take care of...which leads me to the third criteria....breed something that will be easy to move....things like H. mac, LP, OBT and B. vagans are all ts with little value and consistently flooded markets, experienced breeders, with connections, have a difficult time moving sacs of these and some other species.

Availability is another...T. cyaneolum would be great, but I've literally never seen a male, much less a male for sale somewhere in the US. Here in the US, okerti would give you the best availability and be a decent choice in that genus.

Good first timers should be relatively easy to get a sac from, and popular or rare enough that they would be easy to move...Avics would be good choices, they (generally) pair relatively easy, all species are popular enough to sell in a timely manner...although terrestrial slings, at least at first instar, would be less tricky and likely result in fewer losses.

If you had experience, Psalms (esp pulcher and reduncus) would be another good genus to look at along with any Poec species.....Baboons like Ceratogryus, Pternicus (not murinus, thinking lugardi) or Augecaphelous would work as well. Iridopelma would be another genus to inquire about, closely related to Avics and gaining popularity. A. geniculata and N. chromatus are species always desired (N. tripepii and carpeonesis are rarer and even more desirable Nhandu), and although they have large sacs, that desirability will keep them moving and theyre easy slings to raise due to both their great appetites and good growth rates.

Eauthlus would be good (any species, really), but with those tenny slings, raising them might be a bigger PITA, but the hobby needs more and they are certainly popular enough right now.
Amazing info as always sir! Looks like I've got some species to look up!

How many pairs would you aim for at first? I'm thinking start out with 2 pairs to get my feet wet in the breeding field and give a little variety at least. Probably grab a couple females of other species just so I have them ready when I'm ready to breed even more.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
More Thrixopelma species would be nice. More Aphonopelma species would be very nice. Eupalaestrus campestratus is pretty hard to come by and they are so often on the list of top beginners.
I'm in Canada, so my votes don't really count, but I had to include what I would like to see more of up in the Great White North.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
More Thrixopelma species would be nice. More Aphonopelma species would be very nice. Eupalaestrus campestratus is pretty hard to come by and they are so often on the list of top beginners.
I'm in Canada, so my votes don't really count, but I had to include what I would like to see more of up in the Great White North.
Of course your vote counts! You rock :)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Great advice in here, just my two cents - don't do GBB's unless you're into feeling like a failure :shifty:

Personally, before anything, I'd invest in some good shelves and a Dremel. You're clearly in this hobby for the long run. Shelves are obvious, and the Dremel will allow you to easily modify any enclosures you'll end up with. To me, a good Dremel is a necessity.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I have more than a bit of 'Aphonopelma Envy' going on. They're so close... yet so far away.
;)

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Great advice in here, just my two cents - don't do GBB's unless you're into feeling like a failure :shifty:

Personally, before anything, I'd invest in some good shelves and a Dremel. You're clearly in this hobby for the long run. Shelves are obvious, and the Dremel will allow you to easily modify any enclosures you'll end up with. To me, a good Dremel is a necessity.
Haha don't worry, you'll get them to pair up :) shelves are a great idea, I've got China cabinets I'm using currently but once I have a ton of T I can see the shelves being a great idea. As far as the dremmel I actually have 2 and a bunch of other tools. I'm into DIY and do the work on my car so I've gathered some pretty useful stuff. Still need a welder though haha, no use for that in this hobby though.

I'm now thinking about making a large shelf system onto one of my walls, kind of like @louise f has, that seems super useful

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
If I had that kind of cash laying around for spiders, I would get two huge communal terrariums set up with plants and lighting. One for Monocentropus balfouri with rock ledges, cacti etc. and one for Pamphobeteus sp. "Chicken Spider" with all the tropical elements.
I second getting a clutch of m balfouri slings, or maybe a 1.1 pair and a couple slings.

evilebe

Arachnosquire
Put all the money in Ts, and not enclosures. If you're going to breed. Unless you're only getting a few then get whatever enclosures you want. Get fast growing slings. More bang for your buck. Harpactiras. But if you get 4-6 h pulchripes a lot of your budget is gone anyway. But I'd go with fast growing slings and cheap enclosures like deli cups.

Andy00

Arachnoknight
Just a quick question here: how many eggs can a b vagans sac contain? What about an albopilosum and an avic avic? Those r the 3 options I have for my first breeding attempt and I don't want to be too overwhelmed.

cold blood

Staff member
How many pairs would you aim for at first? I'm thinking start out with 2 pairs to get my feet wet in the breeding field and give a little variety at least. Probably grab a couple females of other species just so I have them ready when I'm ready to breed even more.
I wouldn't buy pairs....I'd buy females, and slings of those species, at least 5 slings per female, preferable closer to 10, this will ensure multiple males, as well as more future breeding females and even for trade. While you wait for the future, you can always just purchase an MM or do a breeding loan with someone...a nice option because you can give half the sac away, taking some of the pressure off that a first time breeder might feel with hundreds of vials or condiment cups full of slings.

Also keep in mind, there are some species where females are very rare, and for those you would want to buy a higher volume of slings, or if looking for males for a female you have, a lower volume....H. pulchripes and C. schieoedtei quickly come to mind...others are more even, giving better chances for females for the future, like GBB or many Pamphs.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Just a quick question here: how many eggs can a b vagans sac contain? What about an albopilosum and an avic avic? Those r the 3 options I have for my first breeding attempt and I don't want to be too overwhelmed.
B. albo's have massive sacs, be prepared for that. I'd probably advise that you move away from those species - the market is saturated, and you may have trouble getting rid of those species even if you're willing to sell them wholesale. B. vagans might not be too bad, but the other two? I personally wouldn't do it.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
GBB, T. Cyaneolum (just because I never see them available), maybe N. Chromatus?
Good luck finding either gender on the T cyaneolum, not that plentiful at all.

I forget if GBB is harder to breed or not, but they hold their value well, and aren't around enough IMO. I'd go w/GBB, plus they grow fast.

E sp Yellow
E sp Red
B albiceps- Rare
B emilia - infrequent
B klaasi- Extremely Rare
G iheringi - there's even a free paper on this species- males and females are fast growing, very different in disposition, morphology and size compared to their cousins of the same genus. I love mine.

Avics

1. A. minatrix - out there, but not frequently enough at all!
2. A purp- same as minatrix