What would you do?

Cheo Samad

Arachnopeon
I'm in a bit of a tough spot. I have a T that refused food which is fine, and I suspect it is in premolt. The issue is the cricket has lodged itself under the cork bark where my T hides. This also wouldnt be a massive issue, except the cork bark is already covered in webbing.

I suspect the T is in premolt, so I don't want to stress it out by destroying its home to remove the feeder. At the same time, I don't know how close it is to molting, so I don't want it to flip over while that cricket is in there and end up dead from getting chewed on.

What would you do? Remove the feeder at the cost of the Ts home and risk disturbing it in premolt, or keep an eye on it and leave the T alone in case it's close to flipping. Tough spot.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Disturbing in premolt isn't ideal, but it's not the end of the world. I recently rehoused a subadult Grammostola that was in extremely heavy premolt. He molted a few days later with no issue. You want to avoid it if at all possible, but don't think that the spider will die if you disturb it now. In fact, I'd get on this sooner rather than later. Once that spider flips over, you have no choice but to leave it alone and hope for the best. Taking care of it now will give your spider some time to re-acclimate itself in preperation for a molt.

Cheo Samad

Arachnopeon
Disturbing in premolt isn't ideal, but it's not the end of the world. I recently rehoused a subadult Grammostola that was in extremely heavy premolt. He molted a few days later with no issue. You want to avoid it if at all possible, but don't think that the spider will die if you disturb it now. In fact, I'd get on this sooner rather than later. Once that spider flips over, you have no choice but to leave it alone and hope for the best. Taking care of it now will give your spider some time to re-acclimate itself in preperation for a molt.
This is all happeneing just today. I'm gonna jump on it now. It's C cyaneopubescens (and I bought 2 and the other ate almost instantly. I know these guys have good appetites so the fact that it didnt eat seems like a dead giveaway)

Btw, so random and embarrassing, but I absolutely love your youtube channel. I got my first G pulchripes and now my two C cyaneopubescens in big part do to your best begginer species video haha. Sorry. Had to get that out of the way.

Anyway. I'm gonna get that feeder out. Better safe than sorry.

Edit- I coaxed the T into a vial, got the feeder out, made the substrate sit in such a way that the little 'pocket' that the cricket lodged itself in is no longer open, and put the T back in. It's already begun to reconstruct it's web. I'll be leaving it alone until it's molted and hardened up. Thanks guys

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
This is all happeneing just today. I'm gonna jump on it now. It's C cyaneopubescens (and I bought 2 and the other ate almost instantly. I know these guys have good appetites so the fact that it didnt eat seems like a dead giveaway)

Btw, so random and embarrassing, but I absolutely love your youtube channel. I got my first G pulchripes and now my two C cyaneopubescens in big part do to your best begginer species video haha. Sorry. Had to get that out of the way.

Anyway. I'm gonna get that feeder out. Better safe than sorry.
Oh, it's a GBB? Then I wouldn't worry at all! Active little buggers, it'll fix up its home again by the time you wake up tomorrow. I'm glad my videos got you addicted brought you into the hobby :D

Cheo Samad

Arachnopeon
Oh, it's a GBB? Then I wouldn't worry at all! Active little buggers, it'll fix up its home again by the time you wake up tomorrow. I'm glad my videos got you addicted brought you into the hobby :D
Addicted is an understatement. I may or may not already have a few thing set asside for the hamburg reptile show at the end of the month......