What would be a good frist centipede?

Bunyan van Asten

Arachnoknight
Hey, i'd like to know what species I should buy. Even though i won't be getting any new invert any time soon, i'd like to know what you would recommandeer to me. I have quite a bit of experience with centipede in general (lithobius forficatus mainly) but i kind of want to expand the collection in the future with Some more actieve ones. Looks don't really matter to me in pedels honestly, although i Will never say no to a good looking one. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Here's a list of the pedes you may see for sale. You can decide from there. My personal recommendations are in bold.

Scolopendra dehaani (often sold as Vietnamese giant) - cheap, active, large, common, nice coloration, but also EXTREMELY venomous.
Scolopendra polymorpha - quite a nice variety of patterns, manageable size, comparatively weak venom.
Scolopendra subspinipes - cheap, variable, but strongly venomous.
Scolopendra heros - nice coloration, impressive size, but quite aggressive and with a pretty potent venom.
Scolopendra cingulata - large array of attractive colour variants, small size, weak venom.
Scolopendra morsitans - variable and attractively coloured species, not particularly large, mediocre/weak venom.

Scolopendra alternans - large, attractively coloured, can be quite docile, but has a very strong venom.
Ethmostigmus trignopodus - attractively coloured, gets to a manageable size, weak venom, docile temperament.

Hope this helps.

Bunyan van Asten

Arachnoknight
Here's a list of the pedes you may see for sale. You can decide from there. My personal recommendations are in bold.

Scolopendra dehaani (often sold as Vietnamese giant) - cheap, active, large, common, nice coloration, but also EXTREMELY venomous.
Scolopendra polymorpha - quite a nice variety of patterns, manageable size, comparatively weak venom.
Scolopendra subspinipes - cheap, variable, but strongly venomous.
Scolopendra heros - nice coloration, impressive size, but quite aggressive and with a pretty potent venom.
Scolopendra cingulata - large array of attractive colour variants, small size, weak venom.
Scolopendra morsitans - variable and attractively coloured species, not particularly large, mediocre/weak venom.

Scolopendra alternans - large, attractively coloured, can be quite docile, but has a very strong venom.
Ethmostigmus trignopodus - attractively coloured, gets to a manageable size, weak venom, docile temperament.

Hope this helps.
I'll start by the ones with the least potent venom, Thanks for the suggestions!

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Seconding S polymorpha! My first centipede was S. subspinipes, but honestly - while S. subspinipes is big and impressive, S. polymorpha is out and active a lot more often. I see my little "tigers" out roaming around in their enclosures and actively hunting all the time, while the big S. subspinipes is pretty much always buried. Also, S. polymorpha are a lot easier in terms of care because they're a desert species. I just give them a light misting every few days and they get the rest of their moisture from their food - and no problems with mold or mites! S. subspinipes requires moister substrate and high humidity, so I'm constantly battling mold and mites in the enclosure.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
The problem with S.cingulata is that they aren't easy at all to find for sale. In Italy is useless, for that you can directly WC those in the Central-Southern part.

They, however, make a perfect Scolopendridae for start.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Don't mean to high jack at all but Can anyone speak to the activity of E trigonopodus? I'll be getting one in next week(I love their appearance) but how often will I actually be seeing the lovely lady?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Don't mean to high jack at all but Can anyone speak to the activity of E trigonopodus? I'll be getting one in next week(I love their appearance) but how often will I actually be seeing the lovely lady?
Well, I think that in general, as a rule, the more you put into the enclosure (wood, piece/s of cork bark, stones, fake leaves etc) the more the centipede will enjoy to hide.

Anyway my S.subspinipes, while a pet hole, when out loves to remain out for hours. A completely different attitude, on that sense, from obligate burrowers T's.