What worms for GBB sling 1-2cm?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
According to your profile, you're far from Panama, you have control over the rainy season, there's no reason to mimic anything but a mild season.......if you really want to mimic the wet season, don't forget the high winds and unststable ground conditions.
Not every rainy season has high winds. Especially in areas close to sea level in countries near the equator, with the rare exceptions of hurricanes. But I'm not going to toss my Ts in a washing machine. Panamas average wind in Oct is 10mph. My oscilating fan takes care of that too.

cold blood

Staff member
Not every rainy season has high winds. Especially in areas close to sea level in countries near the equator, with the rare exceptions of hurricanes. But I'm not going to toss my Ts in a washing machine. Panamas average wind in Oct is 10mph. My oscilating fan takes care of that too.
My point is that you are tying unnecessarily hard to get something right that has no real bearing on the t's health or well being.....I'd NEVER in a million years leave any sling that wet, no matter what the weather was like in its home range....we can offer BETTER conditions than the "wild" offers, so shouldn't we/why wouldn't we?

cold blood

Staff member
While there are some species that require this for breeding (most do not), that's really where the benefits end.

Look at it this way, those natural conditions you are striving for, kill 85-97% of all slings born in the wild. By avoiding this (as most people do) we can flip those percentages around, giving us 85-97% survival rates in captivity...basically just by not providing the harsh environment that they would get in the wild and providing stability and mild (ideal) conditions instead.

The last thing I would want to mimic with a sling, is "natural conditions", as its the unnatural conditions we create that make our survival rate in the hobby unnaturally high.;)

Last edited:

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Chill out mate. I got home from being abroad for 2 weeks and dampened the sub. I wasnt trying to mimic anything. Just trying to inform you that these conditions occur naturally in the wild, so no harm done ;).

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
According to your profile, you're far from Panama, you have control over the rainy season, there's no reason to mimic anything but a mild season.......if you really want to mimic the wet season, don't forget the high winds and unststable ground conditions.
I think for animals born in captivity that's less of an issue. For WC it would be more important to simulate nature. Now not a T, but I know of a type of boa that was captured in the wild, an albino, and it took the owners 7 years to get it acclimated!! These were experienced breeders from my understanding.

I'd be interested in knowing if the behavior changes for Ts with simulated environments vs those w/out, aside from hiding from rain drops etc in captivity. For example, do they breed better/differently? It's certainly issue for captive born frogs, simulating environments for breeding.

Maybe doing the same for Ts yields better results?

cold blood

Staff member
Chill out mate. I got home from being abroad for 2 weeks and dampened the sub. I wasnt trying to mimic anything. Just trying to inform you that these conditions occur naturally in the wild, so no harm done ;).
Chill out? Really, that's how you took that??

Here I thought we were just chatting again.