What will harm tarantulas?

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
I often walk into my room with odorant (why is called DEodorant when you are literally adding odor to yourself??? :p) and ive never seen any of my tarantulas, trues or primitives make a fuss over it. On one brand though, my Flinger would begin flicking twice as many dirt balls at her lid but i doubt that deoderant was the cause. As long as you aremt spraying them straight up with it, i think they fine with it

ArachniMarc

Arachnopeon
I often walk into my room with odorant (why is called DEodorant when you are literally adding odor to yourself??? :p) and ive never seen any of my tarantulas, trues or primitives make a fuss over it. On one brand though, my Flinger would begin flicking twice as many dirt balls at her lid but i doubt that deoderant was the cause. As long as you aremt spraying them straight up with it, i think they fine with it
You are definitely using the wrong deodorant if it is adding odor 😂

Rodneybever

Arachnopeon
I was reading “Biology of Spiders” and there was a presentation on a couple of olfactory experiments on spiders using aromatic compounds...spiders have a very highly developed sense of smell, and will physically react to any aromatics that they object too. Watch the spiders, their behavior will tell you what they like and what they object too.
I could be wrong but I don't think the have a sense of smell as we know it. Their setae detects chemical changes and the like in the air. (Maybe some species yes and some species no?) I don't think those receptors are tied to their lungs or anything. I know that my whip scorpions have super powers in their feelers and they can detect change on a molecular level.

cayen

Arachnopeon
I recently sensed a aroma oil being used in the room beside my work space where my Ts are stored. I moved all of my Ts away immediately where i couldn't smell the oil. so my question is that are these types of oils fatal to Ts? Because I'm legit worried.
I found another post regarding what are the things that may harm your T. Based from the whole conversation it seems like the aroma is nothing to worry about as long as the liquid dtate does not reach the enclosure. Tarantulas do not have noses to smell and heavily relies on their sense of touch, so I doubt the smell part would be an issue. However, if the aroma oil somehow gets into the enclosure: misted, or transferred through physical contact then it is safe to day that it will harm the tarantula