What will eat Male Dubia

kooky

Arachnosquire
hello, i have been trying to create a dubia roach colony for the 40 or so tarantulas i have and after the ordeal with mealworms and other feeders, i decided they are the feeders i want. Only problem is, i have too many males. Its a very very early days colony, i only have about 3 adults females, but i have 10 males. I started off with the females and about 30 younger roaches but they have all matured into males so far. The issue i have is that the males are spending more time fighting than trying to breed, and the only adult t i have's last moult was 4 inches and she is intimidated by fast moving males (im using superworms atm the feed my t's while the colony attempts to grow).

So my question is, is there a pet i could get that would eat the spare males (a garbage disposal so to speak) that wont take up a lot of space or need too many environment changes. I live in the UK so temperatures sit at about 70-75 most of the time. I've been trying to give them away to no avail (people say they are easy to get rid of but im struggling, i don't like the idea of shipping live animals, im terrified ill get it wrong haha)

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight
All of my 2.5"-3" Ts will eat them. I usually give them one after a molt. It's kind of fun to watch my avics wrestle around with one for awhile until they finally make a meal out of it. :p

kooky

Arachnosquire
All of my 2.5"-3" Ts will eat them. I usually give them one after a molt. It's kind of fun to watch my avics wrestle around with one for awhile until they finally make a meal out of it. :p
oh ok, that makes me feel a bit better, its just my only adult t seems a bit skittish of them, i assumed it was because they were too big. Thanks, ill just feed them off to her over time then.

aphono

Arachnobaron
try crushing the head? it will still move a bit but not so crazy. Seems to be a common practice in the hobby, guessing it is because they dig..?

aside from that, anyone who has chickens, birds(pet or wild), lizards- bearded dragons in particular?

if the nymphs can be sexed(no idea if they can be?) probably good idea to feed them young to get the male excess out of the way.

I have seen local ads for adult male dubias for free. Usually lots! Might try a local ad that way you avoid shipping but maybe have them meet somewhere instead of directly to your place..

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Yeah, I wouldn't even say that large tarantulas eat male dubia. A male dubia is hardly a snack for the adult LP's and T. stirmi's. I consider males to be medium roaches, and I feed them to my 3"+ spiders. Nymphs are much less skittish and will fight less than a male dubia, so use those if your tarantula is having trouble with the males.

user 666

Arachnobaron
Yeah, I wouldn't even say that large tarantulas eat male dubia. A male dubia is hardly a snack for the adult LP's and T. stirmi's. I consider males to be medium roaches, and I feed them to my 3"+ spiders. Nymphs are much less skittish and will fight less than a male dubia, so use those if your tarantula is having trouble with the males.
Are you measuring body length or leg tips?

I ask because my 3" Ts (as measured from leg tips) are about the same size as an adult dubia.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Are you measuring body length or leg tips?

I ask because my 3" Ts (as measured from leg tips) are about the same size as an adult dubia.
It's called DLS (diagonal leg span), and just about all hobbyists in the States use that standard. It's the Europeans that use body length.

But like @Anoplogaster said, good eaters will take it down. Some more docile eaters (such as Euathlus spp.) would never dream of taking on a meal that large. Conversely, the likes of Nhandu spp. will happily begin eating adult male dubia at 3" or possibly before.

user 666

Arachnobaron
It's called DLS (diagonal leg span), and just about all hobbyists in the States use that standard. It's the Europeans that use body length.

But like @Anoplogaster said, good eaters will take it down. Some more docile eaters (such as Euathlus spp.) would never dream of taking on a meal that large. Conversely, the likes of Nhandu spp. will happily begin eating adult male dubia at 3" or possibly before.
thank you.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
I'm waiting for my 3.5-4" P. fasciata to eat the male I offered. Could be in pre-molt though. If it does go after the Dubia I will post again.

user 666

Arachnobaron
I'm waiting for my 3.5-4" P. fasciata to eat the male I offered. Could be in pre-molt though. If it does go after the Dubia I will post again.
Since I last posted here, two of my three larger Ts have each eaten a male dubia.

The Ts were not a lot larger than the dubias, so I m thrilled that the bugs were consumed.