What was your first Old World? Was it a good or bad experience?

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
P. muticus, and the subsequent experience was bad, I.e., I put it in the enclosure and it turned into the invisible spider (it has been three years and remains true to this day). The only saving grace of the experience was that I received a H. himalayana sling with the PM, and she actually taught me that OW’s and fossorials in particular are awesome.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
my first T was an adult female OBT rescue. as soon as I read up on it I said to myself "this is gonna be a steep learning curve'. The substrate was wrong so I had to rehouse, that was trying but I got it done. I set her up with some wood and deep substrate and allowed her to burrow. She wound up mostly a pet hole but I enjoyed seeing her out late at night and I figured she was happy in that set up. I prefer them feeling good over me feeling good so she stayed as such until she passed of old age (sniff). I have a darlingi and had another OBT juvenile that just passed after a molt. Both of these are far more 'run and hide' than my original OBT who loved coming out and throwing posture and striking at the tongs when I was cleaning. I have 2 pokies I just rehoused and both were 'easy' in my book. My Juvie Rufilata behaved like your average NW and just crawled from one habitat to the other. The regalis was much the same

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
I got a C. lividus as my 1st OW, and I'm so glad I did. It took a little while for me to get to used to her attitude and predicting her movements, but I survived, and I have tons of OWs now....

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
First and only was O. schiodtei. I was much younger and it was my only T. It was a pet hole. Because of that and the fact it was my 1 and only T, it was boring. Took me 11 years to get back into the hobby. The "right" way this time.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
my first ow was an m balfouri the bigger it grew the faster and more defensive it got,. would i get another probably not to flighty for me the one i had. rather have a grumpy defensive t that stands its ground so i dont need to worry which way its gonna run. threat posing t is easy to just drop a cup ontop of it compared to trying to coax a flighty one into a cup to rehouse

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
My first was a C. marshalii, I got it as a s'ling in march of 2019. I got my second, this time a C, darlingi, in May of this year. I decided that since the chief reason for finally breaking my vow about "no OWs" was because of the unique feature of Ceratogyrus, (the horn, of course) I'd try to hedge my bet a little. Especially after somebody offered the opinion that the marshalii was looking like it might be a male because of the horn not appearing to be developing. Getting a second specimen does not really improve my chances much, if any, but I though that if I could even increase the odds a minuscule amount, it would be worth a try. Who knows? I might get stuck with two males, but I also might hit on any of 3 possible combinations combination.

Mine spend a good bit of time out, but they are still pretty young and that may change.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
My first OW was an Idiothele mira back in 2016. He was an oddball that never took to the species' signature trapdoor lifestyle, but overall was a mild mannered T that rarely gave me trouble. Same T ended up being my first mature male and first experience with a breeding loan; I currently have two sons and a daughter of his. They (and the species as a whole) are very dear to me in my keeping experience. 😊

20200224_152039.jpg

becks0303

Arachnopeon
H. Pulchripes and M. Balfouri were my first. Great experiences. Both IMO pretty easily managed. If you respect them just as your other Ts, house them properly, you shouldn’t have much issue. Your biggest challenge will most likely be rehousing. The Pulchripes is super fast. Other than that you should be fine with a little more time under your belt.

I personally prefer baboons over most of my other Ts. I haven’t had any issue with any of my OWs. I have proper husbandry and respect them just like any other T.

With that being said, I’ve had over 20 years experience keeping reptiles of all sorts including hot snakes and scorpions before getting into Ts. So most of it has been pretty easy for me.
im thking of getting a H Pulchripes as my first OW - i've only had experiences with NW T's like GBB and Chaco Golden Knees. do you reccomend?

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
P. Metallica. Worth the 80 bucks I paid, and I have managed it fine so far, but I jumped from a rosea, so I probably should have looked for a Marshalli or balfouri or something less fast. In my experience they don't "teleport" but if they want to move fast, you are not catching them.

Benson1990

Arachnoknight
H. gigas was my first, it was a freebie so I was pretty much forced into it, it was a tiny sling so wasn't too much hassle starting off, as it got bigger and bigger it was still a pretty good experience, I've had a couple of rehouses at this stage and they all went really well, no problems what so ever, never got a threat pose or a case of bolting, also it's been pretty visible, always at the mouth of it's burrow, I'd say it's a juvie at this stage at around three inches, very chill old world in my limited experience.

I've had no trouble with any of my old worlds so far.

herpetogeorgie

Arachnopeon
My first was a H. devamatha, I really wanted to see one of those turrets I'd heard of. Totally wasn't disappointed, he's made a stunning one against the side of the tank.

He was bolty guy but I had a tall tank and a couple pair of tweezers to manage things so I felt confident enough with him. He's been well behaved during rehouses too.

He's a really awesome spider, would much rather run and hide than bite and he spends his days with his legs poking out the top of his glorious turret. Couldn't recommend them enough!