What up with THAT, Rosea?

Ashphetamine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What would cause my little Rosea to sit dead still on one side of her cage with her fangs completely extended?

ZERO movement- which removes "cleaning" herself from the list?

No, she is not dead- she picks up her feet if i tap lightly on the cage near her.

>>; Shes been abnormally aggressive the last week or two as well.

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What would cause my little Rosea to sit dead still on one side of her cage with her fangs completely extended?

ZERO movement- which removes "cleaning" herself from the list?

No, she is not dead- she picks up her feet if i tap lightly on the cage near her.

>>; Shes been abnormally aggressive the last week or two as well.
Premolt, hungry, not hungry, thirsty not thirsty, too many vibrations in the world around her G. rosea being a G.rosea?

This species is always throwing curve balls, you never know what to expect.

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
Hey!! I saw my Avic. avic. doing that. I just blew on it and it stopped. I hope it wasn't doing anything important:cool:!!

--Dan

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
It was very gently, which I should have included in my post. I wanted to make sure it wasn't dead or anything like that. I admit, it was stupid...but I was worried:eek:. It wasn't like I was huffin and puffin trying to blow my Avic down:p.

--Dan

Stewjoe

Arachnosquire
Not a big deal, it's not like they don't experience wind in the wild.
It was very gently, which I should have included in my post. I wanted to make sure it wasn't dead or anything like that. I admit, it was stupid...but I was worried:eek:. It wasn't like I was huffin and puffin trying to blow my Avic down:p.

--Dan

Ashphetamine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
:eek:

Totally strange!!!!!

Two days later she webbed up the entirety of her enclosure- I woke up today to see her carrying it around balled up like an eggsack. Its kind of loose- in all the pictures I've seen, the egg sacks look like they're plump and pretty solid full of eggs-- she moved it a little and if its eggs, its a pretty small amount?

maybe my babeh is gonna have babies! :D

She looks like shes wasting away- her abdomen was healthy last night; now she looks like I havent fed her in years! I dont know the first thing about hatching babies!

------------- Best part: I got her back in October- and the seller didnt mention she was ever mated. Hm. More strange Rosea behavior like a false pregnancy?

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Haha, she started carrying it around like an eggsac because it IS an eggsac. There's been alot of that going around lately, because it just so happens that this time of year is Chilean laying time. If her abdomen was plump one day and deflated the next, then there are definitely eggs in there.
The guy didn't tell you she was mated because he wouldn't have had a clue himself. Most G. roseas are Wild Caught, and it happens often enough that a tarantula mates in the wild, gets caught and sold in a petstore, and then has its eggs either there or in the new keeper's home. Actually, that's why almost nobody actually mates their roseas on purpose...because this happens all the time!
Soo, time to do some reading, and good luck with all your new pals!

popcangenie

Arachnosquire
it will most likely be a phantom sac or in other words a dud it will contain dead eggs probably picture would be great

EDIT: it could be a good sac if so leave her alone and let mom do her job

REASON she said loose i and i impulse to think un balled but still picture would be nice

Ashphetamine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
@Gale-- :D Thats very interesting information, I never would have thought she could have been wild caught, she was ultimately friendly when I got her.
EEEEEEKKKK! Im so excited! I hoped it was an eggsac, I just didnt realize I was lucky. She was my favorite of my 3 rosea ladies, and now shes even more my favorite! <3

Edit: Confirmation of eggs- upon kindling with a flashlight, there are a bunch of little yellow soon-to-be-cuties in there!

@pop-- I'll be sure to get some pics up ASAP. I dont have a digicam atm, but I've got a pretty decent resolution on my HTC phone. I'll try to get one tomorrow in the daylight.

Im a total newblet to babies- I had a hard time keeping my "bonus/gift" slings alive. How the heck do I go about hatching these cuties and taking care of them until I can rehome them?

Last edited:

popcangenie

Arachnosquire
first how big is it? rosies are gonna have 1-500+ (i could be wrong) but it is VERY high so alot of little container i would hit up a dollar store or somewhere cheap and get some coco fiber i would say a brick because you just want fill up the deli and give them enough to let them dig

i see every one recommending taking the sac at 30 days if it dosent get mold or eatin pull it and open it now you need an incubater i would visit www.youtube.com/tarantulaguy1976 he is very helpfull

and this is were my knowledge of this ends goodluck bro/bro-et :)

Ashphetamine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
:D Thanks much!! Its not very big- its about the size of her abdomen, literally. And its very loose/wrinkly looking silk- that could be because its only a day old though.

first how big is it? rosies are gonna have 1-500+ (i could be wrong) but it is VERY high so alot of little container i would hit up a dollar store or somewhere cheap and get some coco fiber i would say a brick because you just want fill up the deli and give them enough to let them dig

i see every one recommending taking the sac at 30 days if it dosent get mold or eatin pull it and open it now you need an incubater i would visit www.youtube.com/tarantulaguy1976 he is very helpfull

and this is were my knowledge of this ends goodluck bro/bro-et :)

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Um, I would hold off on going out and purchasing a bunch of baby stuff just yet (I mean many many containers etc.) Alot of things can happen between now and actually having many tiny tarantulas running around and it would be a bit of a bummer to buy 500 containers for nothing. They can have quite a few, but you are just as likely (or more) to get maybe 200 or so. Plus, if you wait till you pull the sac when they are in their eggs with legs stage, you can put them in an incubater and safely count them before they can run around and cause havoc. Then you know exactly how many eggs are there and how many are good eggs.
I agree with leaving it with mommy for now (a person can artificially take care of a sac for a spider, but I wouldn't recommend that in this case). If she is a good mom, she will protect it and roll it around to give it the agitation it needs to survive. Just keep in mind that sometimes they won't roll it around properly, or sometimes abandon it, or even sometimes eat it. Not every sac always produces. Have fun watching her while she's out, but keep her life as stress-free as possible and that will help.
And, since you have time, while she is doing that, I would definitely pick up a Tarantula Keeper's Guide if you don't have one already. Read the whole thing, but there is a section on captive breeding...which is not really the case here :D but it will help give you a start with what to do with all the little guys. A post is good for a few pointers but books are better for some things.
Best of luck!

Ashphetamine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
:( Tragedy struck my little lady--

she decided that instead of eating the crix i put in the cage with her she wanted her eggs instead.

Woke up this morning to her and her half eaten sac. T_T

Oh well-- maybe the other chubby lady will throw some for me?

:) Thanks for the help anyway!

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Was it ok to put a cricket inside her enclosure while nursing a sac? hmmm... I had friends who discourage feeding mommy Ts!

Ashphetamine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Was it ok to put a cricket inside her enclosure while nursing a sac? hmmm... I had friends who discourage feeding mommy Ts!
! Well, that might explain that then! She ate the crix, then ate the eggs-
Silly me, bein a complete newblet who panicked :p