What Types of Insects Can You Feed Emperor Scorpion?

Alex99

Arachnosquire
I've seen a lot of videos of them in the wild eating anything from Spiders to grasshoppers and tons of other insects. My question is, what other insects/animals can I buy for my scorpion to eat? crickets from my local pet store are not cutting it. They all die after 2 days and I hate going back every 4-6 days just to get a couple of crickets that will die by the morning if I don't feed them to my scorpion. I'm trying to find another food sorce to change his diet and From what I've seen in the wild they are not picky at all.

Jonathan159

Arachnosquire
Your crickets should be lasting far longer than a couple of days. I have mine for months. Do you feed and supply your feeders with water? Here's my banded brown cricket set up that I've had for well over 4 months without restocking. I also keep superworms which I feed my larger scorpions with about once a month (contain lots of fat) cockroaches are another favourite of alot of scorpion keepers although Dubias tend to burrow which can be annoying. Lats are better but hard to get near me. Locusts are also great food for scorpions and are usually available in most pet stores. A mixture is always nice. Anyways here's my banded brown cricket set up (same for all crickets and locusts) as well as the food I use for them and water substitute as they drown in water. Just throw a few egg crates or cardboard rolls from toilet/kitchen rolls for them to hide and also create lots more surface area. 20180614_192857.jpg also here's a picture of my superworms which is just a tub with porridge oats which is their substrate and food and then throw in a potato or carrot or their water needs... 20180614_192747.jpg and inside the cricket box!... 20180614_192821.jpg

Alex99

Arachnosquire
Your crickets should be lasting far longer than a couple of days. I have mine for months. Do you feed and supply your feeders with water? Here's my banded brown cricket set up that I've had for well over 4 months without restocking. I also keep superworms which I feed my larger scorpions with about once a month (contain lots of fat) cockroaches are another favourite of alot of scorpion keepers although Dubias tend to burrow which can be annoying. Lats are better but hard to get near me. Locusts are also great food for scorpions and are usually available in most pet stores. A mixture is always nice. Anyways here's my banded brown cricket set up (same for all crickets and locusts) as well as the food I use for them and water substitute as they drown in water. Just throw a few egg crates or cardboard rolls from toilet/kitchen rolls for them to hide and also create lots more surface area. View attachment 278038 also here's a picture of my superworms which is just a tub with porridge oats which is their substrate and food and then throw in a potato or carrot or their water needs... View attachment 278039 and inside the cricket box!... View attachment 278040
what do you think about meal worms ?

Jonathan159

Arachnosquire
Gut loaded mealworms are also very good for scorpions although mine don't seem to like them very much only my trogs and Arizonensis went for them so I eventually decided not to keep them. It could just be my scorpions not taking a liking to them! Mealworms will burrow into the substrate also and it can be very irritating if you like to watch your scorpions feed. You could try tong feeding them although I don't tong feed at all so its not something I do but it does work. As a general rule...you can't go wrong with crickets or roaches as feeders. Locusts tend to climb but it' not as annoying as a burrowing feeder.

Alex99

Arachnosquire
I usually drop the food directly in front of his face and he usually pounces. So as long as the warm doesn't quickly burry himself it shouldn't be an issue honestly

Jonathan159

Arachnosquire
Yeah sounds fine to me. Mealworms are not fast by any means:) try them. You may really like them and your scorpion might love them.

Alex99

Arachnosquire
Yeah sounds fine to me. Mealworms are not fast by any means:) try them. You may really like them and your scorpion might love them.
I'm really hoping he does. I'm not currently in a position to have another enclosure for crickets/roaches etc.

Alex99

Arachnosquire
Well looks like my store was out of mealworms so I had to get the supper worms :)

Jonathan159

Arachnosquire
They will be ok for a bit but not as a primary feeder. They are very high in fat and low in protein. You will need to sort out something in the near future to prolong the lives of the crickets you had or find gutloaded mealworms. Feeding nothing but superworms will not be healthy.

Alex99

Arachnosquire
They will be ok for a bit but not as a primary feeder. They are very high in fat and low in protein. You will need to sort out something in the near future to prolong the lives of the crickets you had or find gutloaded mealworms. Feeding nothing but superworms will not be healthy.
Yea good point. My store was sold out so I will have to see when they get more in, I will more than likely create a mealworm setup like you have in the near future

Jonathan159

Arachnosquire
Yea good point. My store was sold out so I will have to see when they get more in, I will more than likely create a mealworm setup like you have in the near future
Those are my superworms. VERY easy to keep but I only feed them as 'treats' about every month or so. My larger scorps love them. I wouldn't recommend them for smaller sp. as the superworms can give a nasty bite and your scorps won't thank you for it. I have had blood drawn from my finger when I misplaced my tongs one day. They're vicious little things and wriggle and try to latch on. Got some pretty impressive mandibles.

Jonathan159

Arachnosquire
But I see where you're going. Mealworms are easy to keep and easy to breed apparently, although I've never tried it.

Alex99

Arachnosquire
But I see where you're going. Mealworms are easy to keep and easy to breed apparently, although I've never tried it.
My only issue with crickets is they smell, I live in a small place with my fiancé who is pregnant :) she's okay with the whole worm idea Bc I convinced her they don't leave a terrible odor. Im assuming meal worms don't smell. Do they live in an oat based substrate as well ?