What type of tarantula should I get

Wahoooooo

Arachnopeon
I want to maybe start thinking about getting a tarantula what type of tarantulas are good for beginners but also look super cool?

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
I want to maybe start thinking about getting a tarantula what type of tarantulas are good for beginners but also look super cool?
Well you’ll be hard pressed to find a tarantula that doesn’t look cool. That being said, Aphonopelma species and Brachypelma species are good genus to start with. There are a lot of good “beginner packages” on some websites to make it easy.

8LeggedLair

Arachnoknight
These are my top five for beginners I started with a Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens or GreenBottle Blue
Caribena Versicolor I absolutely love but I can’t work up the courage to own one yet
No nothing about being scared lol
Believe me I will before December.

1. Brachypelma Hamorii ( formerly smithi )
or any Brachypelma
2. Grammastola Rosea or any Grammastola
3. Caribena Versicolor
4. Avicularia Avicularia
5. My favorite species in the hobby Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens

@cold blood says his fav beginner is Thrixopelma Cyaneolum

Here’s my female Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens Sling, 5 more will be purchased next week of various sizes AF7A45DC-564A-4552-8515-84A40FE81795.png

Last edited by a moderator:

MES

Arachnosquire
I have an Aphonopelma chalcodes, and she's super awesome for beginners. She's really docile, eats well, and isn't very skiddish. She also does well with the occasional handling (which, however, is debated on Arachnoboards). While A. chalcodes aren't quite as "razzle dazzle" or flashy as some others, I think they are super pretty. I also agree with Nightstalker 47's, suggestion of G. pulchripes, that was the first tarantula I got. I've also heard B. hamorii make great first tarantulas, but I don't think you can go wrong with most new world species!
PS - here is my beautiful A. chalcodes, who's name is Yuma. (not a great pic, sorry) IMG_20181006_163609289.jpg

Theneil

Arachnoprince
I'm gonna be that person today...

Please use the search function.

A search for "beginner tarantulas" on Arachnoboards, google, or youtube will yield TONS of results. more than you will get starting a new thread. Once you know the beginner species, search images to see what qualifies as looking super cool to you.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Agreed that any tarantula is super cool. Especially a first T.

Like @Theneil suggested, use the search function so you won't end up with a super fast T with a medically significant bite -- it's not cool to own a T which scares you or causes you concerns when maintenance is required. If removing a T's lid causes you to be nervous -- you got the wrong T!!!!
Worse, believing that a first T should be a more advanced T (for street cred???) I dunno, anyway -- if beginning with a more advanced and challenging T is your goal -- then this may not be the hobby for you! This is supposed to be an enjoyable and rewarding hobby. And it should be a safe hobby -- for you AND the T.

There are LOTS of great 'beginner' Ts to choose from out there and they are all super cool. :)

Good luck! :)

8LeggedLair

Arachnoknight
As much as I want to agree on using the search function...
I’m going to be the cool NCO.
If he were to, and then find a thread right m, say a few months old or longer then commented. His comment would then be deleted due to a dead thread that hasn’t been deleted... which I’ve made a mistake twice now yesterday and few days ago replying on old A@$ threads...

By all means POST @Wahoooooo thats what we’re here for.

Minty

@londontarantulas
DDC7C350-7E37-4F04-8C66-1932ACCB8D43.jpeg Chromatopelma cyanepubescens. The above pic is one of mine. He’s doubled in size in a year.

Get this species if you can find it. Looks great, good eater, fast grower, heavy webber and easy to keep.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
As much as I want to agree on using the search function...
I’m going to be the cool NCO.
If he were to, and then find a thread right m, say a few months old or longer then commented. His comment would then be deleted due to a dead thread that hasn’t been deleted... which I’ve made a mistake twice now yesterday and few days ago replying on old A@$ threads...

By all means POST @Wahoooooo thats what we’re here for.

I think you missed the point of my response... I try to be helpful when i can, even on the questions that are repeatedly posted on an almost daily basis, and quite honesty i feel i gave the most helpful answer i could. In this post there are maybe a dozen species mentioned and 2 or three genera, about 5 hours after the post was made.

With the search function in about 15 minutes, i'm sure the OP could have had a list EASILY twice as long, and had they gone the youtube route, they could have seen what they look like without much secondary research, and OP made very clear that visual appeal was important.

Perhaps i could have used the search function for them and posted links, but unfortunately that would easily take twice as long for the OP to get the information, as they would have had to wait for my super slow reading speed to get through a thread and then link it just so that they could take time to go through it themselves. If i linked videos, i would have to watch the video before i would be willing to post it, which again doubles the time (at a minimum) All the while, i still don't even know what "super cool" looks like to the OP. (and that is asside from the fact that i occasionally have things in my own life that i need to spend that time on. ;) )

Also, in the preliminary 'discovery' stage of finding species, i personally don't see a need to post in every old thread, so honestly i am a little confused about that part of your response. When there is a specific question to ask, i highly suggest asking questions, and it is very likely that at least one person will be able to give an accurate and timely answer.

I'm not here to start problems, but i think perhaps in my first post, i was not clear enough as to how/why they would probably get a much better, more 'complete' list by searching.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Pretty much any Brachypelma (albopilosum is the best readily available beginner species IMO)

View media item 52584
Grammostola pulchripes (the second best readily available beginner species IMO)
View media item 53158
Grammostola pulchra

Grammostola iheringi (pretty fast and highly strung but do-able for a beginner)

Thrixopelma cyaneolum (if you can get one)

Homoeomma chilensis (commonly sold as either Euathlus sp. 'Red' or Homoeomma sp. 'Fire')

Aphonopelma chalcodes
View media item 38685
Acanthoscurria geniculata (do-able for a beginner, they think everything is food though so long tongs are your friend)

Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (Do-able for a beginner, they're fast and skittish though)
View media item 44938
Pterinopelma sazimai (Do-able for a beginner, very fast and skittish, can be defensive)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
There's a (new) rule when it comes to "what type of tarantula should I get" and similar questions jumps out.

Said rule state, clearly, that: "You need to click a video made by that Eric Bana poor man clone living in the desert."

Here where to click:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjLxvuG_WUS3635sM4RIwow

This rule replaced, basically, the old "... use the search function" one, for that said rule is the new Sheriff in town.

No, no please, everyone... no need for a 'Thank you, Chris'. I'm so amazing, but so amazing that, being another user I would deeply love Chris LXXIX :kiss:

:troll: :playful:

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
The easiest tarantula I have is also my most visible, Lasiodora klugi. Of course, others in that genus are very similar with identical requirements.

The most important thing is to start with a spiderling because these get big. That way you can grow with the spider.

They grow medium to fast depending on conditions. You need a hide, a bit on the large side, waterdish & some frog moss by the water dish (moss strictly optional but much appreciated) which is kept moist.

These are fairly calm but eat like garbage disposals. They are a bit reclusive at first and will burrow, but don't worry because it won't last.

Once they get to about 3", they stay out in plain sight almost the entire time. Despite that, providing a roomy hide is still extremely important. That way if they do panic, they can go to a place that is safe for both tarantula and owner.

Because the feeding response is so strong, you won't have to rehouse them often. Once they get to 2 or 3 inches, go ahead and put it into it's adult enclosure. It'll run down feeders ruthlessly.

They aren't suited for handling, but that is ok because you should minimize handling anyway. A paint brush and a catch cup are your friends. So are feeding tongs.

L Klugi ultimate pic 2.jpg

This is literally the first time she emerged newly molted in adult colors, lucky to capture that shot.

L Klugi Justina emerges 4.jpg L klugi Justina 2nd day May 2018 molt1.jpg

L klugi Justina entity roach 1.jpg

Keep in mind that there are dozens of genuses with at least one or two hundred species that can make an excellent first tarantula.

Slings for L klugi can be had for about $50 give or take. That's pretty reasonable for a sling. If you buy online, shipping is extra.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Considering none of us can read your mind, you need to define "super cool".

cold blood

Staff member
If he were to, and then find a thread right m, say a few months old or longer then commented. His comment would then be deleted due to a dead thread that hasn’t been deleted
Not if his question is still relevant...but he wouldn't need to post, just read the answers already given;)