What type of Forceps?

Akitayoji

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
First, I hope I have posted this thread in the correct forum. I didn't find any that would have been better.

I have some very large hemostats I have always used but would like to try some forceps. Just wondering what others have. Please list size and type. Thanks!

SausageinaNet

Arachnopeon
I have an exoterra one. It is around 12" and cruved at the end. I think anything that is big enough will work fine.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
My forceps are about 6". Been using them for 20 years, and wouldn't use anything else for cage maintenance (except long tongs when Theraphosa are kicking hairs). The curved end of forceps gives them more grip, much better for picking up water bowls, cork, cage decorations, etc than tweezers or hemostats. Hemostats are clumsy to pick up and release quickly; not necessarily a big issue with many NW terrestrials, but there are times that you don't want to be fumbling getting them on or off with a fast arboreal or OW.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I use tongs only. Two type of tongs in the specific. One, believe me or not, is a short one, just a bit bigger than a normal packet (of 20) of cigarettes... well I use those tongs even for my 'Baboons' :-s

When I'm lazy, or need to remove the mess that my centipede did with B.dubia, I use the long ones (normal, 20 cm straight tongs).

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
First, I hope I have posted this thread in the correct forum. I didn't find any that would have been better.

I have some very large hemostats I have always used but would like to try some forceps. Just wondering what others have. Please list size and type. Thanks!
I use aquarium maintenance kit (25cm) like this one:
Aquarium 3x kit

The main complaint I had is that the tongs have a bit of a light touch (almost like they were made for aquarium plants, sheesh :confused:) crushing dubia heads was difficult until I pre-bent them to my requirements.

Add a side note, I've used those scissors more than you would think for maintenance. :astonished:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Aquarium 3x kit

The main complaint I had is that the tongs have a bit of a light touch (almost like they were made for aquarium plants, sheesh :confused:) crushing dubia heads was difficult until I pre-bent them to my requirements.

Add a side note, I've used those scissors more than you would think for maintenance. :astonished:
I bought the same set a while back. Your right, holding them way back makes it hard to crush anything.
Pro Tip: Hold them near the ends when crushing noodles and they work good then grab it on the edge of the carapace and it's ready to go in the enclosure.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I have two pairs of tongs. One 8 inch all metal and one 12 inch with rubber covering on the ends...I find that the bigger ends and rubber makes it more grippy so it can be better for grabbing water dishes and boluses, etc. One thing I do want to get is some curved tongs, forceps.

Haemus

Arachnosquire
I have 12" aquarium tongs, but I use chop sticks when handling my meal worms lol

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Pro Tip: Hold them near the ends when crushing noodles and they work good then grab it on the edge of the carapace and it's ready to go in the enclosure.
I don't think that's very sanitary.:p:rofl:

I use 10" forceps for maintenance, feedings, and apparently crushing noodles.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I didn`t know that you were making a kitchen tv show here friend :cool: :D
Har har guys. I'm sure I'm not the only one who calls a person's head their noodle/melon etc. :p

On a different note, I am very fond of Asian noodle dishes and regularly make them.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Exo-Terra, about ten or eleven inches. curved. It is rubber coated on the business end, which may or may not reduce the risk of a fang injury in the event of a lunge. I figure it couldn't hurt, anyway.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Aquarium 3x kit

I have the single one on the left.