What Ts have the worst Hairs?

Geography Guy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi

I have had a few Ts flick hairs at me and actually get me. But what Ts have the worst hairs (as in pain)? I have been flicked 2 times maybe by my adult L.parahybana (spelling) and it wasn't that bad. But yesterday, my B.Vagans got me with hairs. Wow! Its hairs are several times worse then my L.Parahybana. My thumb feels like it is on fire (a lil exaggerated). Why does my B.vangans' hair feel so much worse then my L.parahybana? What Ts have the worst hairs?

Cheers,

Slash

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
From what I hear, T. blondi has the worst. I have super sensitive skin, so even my g. rosea hair really gets me. I got haired by my L. paraybana and I now have these little boils/lumps/bumbs on my hands and arms that are really red and break when I scratch hard.:8o :8o :8o Ahhh...I love those guys anyway.:rolleyes:

†-MarK-†

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think that would be T.blondi .

ps.
whoops..slash you answer a few seconds faster than me :D

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i would say that the big two are T. blondi and T. apophysis. i've heard that Pamphobeteus spp. are also distinguishably unplesant, but my P. antinous' hairs have yet to affect me at all.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
T. blondi and T. apophysis are supposed to be the worst. I am not very sensitive to allergies or have sensitive skin, but when I cleaned out our blondi's old enclosure, I was very careful to not get any hairs on me.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'd say it depends on the person as much as the T itself, but overall I would say Brachypelma spp., Theraphosa spp., Megaphobema spp., and Lasiodora spp.

Last edited:

Slash

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ps.
whoops..slash you answer a few seconds faster than me :D
{D

Yeah and like Molitor said, T. apophysis too. Man, if rosehairs mess my skin up, I'd probably cry like a baby if i got haired by a T. blondi or apophysis.

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Lasiodora and nhanhu are really bad but different hair effect different people. I can take a t. blondi all day but a nhanhu will get me.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would definitely put my vote in for the T. apophysis. All I have to do is look at her enclosure and I start to itch.

Paxter

Arachnopeon
try L. klugi. damm thats beetes my phaybana & T apopohysis.:mad:

Hi

I have had a few Ts flick hairs at me and actually get me. But what Ts have the worst hairs (as in pain)? I have been flicked 2 times maybe by my adult L.parahybana (spelling) and it wasn't that bad. But yesterday, my B.Vagans got me with hairs. Wow! Its hairs are several times worse then my L.Parahybana.

Cheers,

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
Avic and Brachy hairs kill me!!! T. blondi not so much... go figure.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
For the utmost worst, it will depend on the individual (for me, T. apophysis), but on average, I'd say the worst are like members of the genus-

Lasiodara
Megaphobema
Nhandu
Pamphobeteous
Theraphosa

-Sean

AlainL

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi!

I think each individual react differently but the worst for me was T.blondi, B.smithi and P.platyomma.

mitchell123

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If i clean one of my blondi's cages i use gloves and protection for my eyes. :p
The hairs anoy me for weeks especially on the hands iv'e noticed.
And it just won't go away. :mad:

What seems too help spray the surface wet. If there are dry areas the hairs will go skyborn :p when cleaning the cage.

chris 71

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i am always paranoid about hairs i where thick gloves and i am very careful i even went as far as buying this electrostatic furnace filter floss stuff from home depot and taped it to the cage tops and now i breath much easier

Beastmaster

Arachnopeon
Awhile back I read a scientific journal article about the different types of urticating hairs found on new world tarantulas.

If I recall correctly, there are eleven different hair types, with the differences being quantified as number and placement of barbules on the individual urticating hairs as well as length of the hairs.

According to my recollection of the article, the tarantulas that itch the most have more or all of the hairs, where as something like A. avicularia has only 3 or 4 of the hair types on its abdomen.

Anyone know what article I'm talking about?

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
THere'are no such article You have talking about as it is only 6 types of UH already described since these days.
It is possibly You mean the modifications of some of these 6 types like this in Reversopelma of type 1: http://tarantulas.tropica.ru/en/evolution/Theraphosinae/Reversopelma

As for the UH in general look here:
http://tarantulas.tropica.ru/en/node/570#Hair
You'll see, the most dangerouse for human are the types III and IV widely presented in different American terrestrials and the reaction depends on the individuality and of the amount of the seate presented in species. So far in my knowledge the most UH reachness of the mentioned types are in: Theraphosa, Nhandu, Acanthoscurria and Lasiodora.