What Ts do expos typically sell?

MogiCorp

Arachnosquire
I’m going to repticon in January to get my second T, this will be my first expo ever and I was wondering what’s most commonly sold there and what sizes? I’m looking for a beginner terrestrial T, not a tiny sling but rather a juvie or a sling that’s just about to get adult colors. I have a 5.5gal tank to use but I don’t know if they sell cheap adults/juvie so am I better off just buying a large critter tote?

So far my list is: B.Hamorii/Smithi, G.Pulchra, G.Pulchripes, G.Rosea, B.Boheimi, GBB, B.Vagans, A.Geniculata, A.Chalcodes, A.Seemanni.

If any of these species are fossorial that’s fine too but I’m looking for a nice display T I can keep hopefully in that 5.5gal.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
While the vast majority of the spiders that I see at expos are slings, there is also usually a pretty good representation of juvenile/adult spiders - though most of them may be wild-caught, whereas the slings are typically captive-bred.

As far as the specific species are concerned, there is a very good chance that all (or most) of the species you've listed will be available as slings - but finding larger animals is more hit-or-miss. It all depends on what the vendors have available at the time. I frequently see good-sized A. chalcodes at expos because they live right here in the U.S. and the vendors can catch them themselves or buy them locally. G. porteri (which is frequently sold as G. rosea) is another one that I see larger specimens of fairly often.

For a large sling or even a small juvie, a 5.5 gallon tank will be way too big. A critter tote is not a good idea for a sling as the ventilation holes are large enough that slings can squeeze through and escape - plus the enclosure itself is bigger than the sling needs. Slings are better kept in small enclosures like deli cups or the little acrylic sling boxes (which are prettier than the deli cups - but a bit more of a pain to maintain imo).

What you probably won't find at the expo is cheap spiders - especially big ones. The prices might be lower than those you'd find in a pet store - or those you'd find online after you factor in shipping (though you are paying for admission and parking at the expo, which kind of offsets the saving in shipping) - but the vendors are there to make money. They have to recoup their investment in getting to the expo, transporting their stock, renting the table space, plus hotel expenses during the expo if they do not live locally - and turn a profit. The spiders should be fairly and reasonably priced - but you're probably not going to find cheap spiders.

If you're looking for a big, cheap spider you could check your local Craigslist. Sometimes you can get great prices on larger spiders from someone who is moving, wants out of the hobby, needs a little extra cash, has a spouse or significant other who insists that he/she get rid of all those spiders, or just wants to thin out the herd a bit to make room for something new. Of course, there are also plenty of people listing spiders at astronomical prices on Craigslist - and even with the cheap spiders, there's always the risk that that "unsexed" spider is really a sub-adult male that they're trying to unload before the tibial hooks and emboli show up.

If you do end up buying a sling at the expo, you can usually purchase a variety of sizes of deli cups (and the prettier sling enclosures) right there at the expo, too. Prices are usually reasonable, so you can find the sling you want - and then pick out an appropriate enclosure based on the spider.

newscorpionowner

Arachnopeon
I’m going to repticon in January to get my second T, this will be my first expo ever and I was wondering what’s most commonly sold there and what sizes? I’m looking for a beginner terrestrial T, not a tiny sling but rather a juvie or a sling that’s just about to get adult colors. I have a 5.5gal tank to use but I don’t know if they sell cheap adults/juvie so am I better off just buying a large critter tote?

So far my list is: B.Hamorii/Smithi, G.Pulchra, G.Pulchripes, G.Rosea, B.Boheimi, GBB, B.Vagans, A.Geniculata, A.Chalcodes, A.Seemanni.

If any of these species are fossorial that’s fine too but I’m looking for a nice display T I can keep hopefully in that 5.5gal.
You said repticon in January, would this happen to be in Georgia? Im just curious as I'll be going to this and wondered what the vendors carry. As for your list, I have my eyes set for a G. Pulchra as well. If you're up for suggestions, I've heard Honduran curly hair are good for display, but that could just be biased opinion.

Last edited:

Kitara

Arachnodemon
Repticon in OKC was a complete bust. Not a single T. :shifty:

That said, look at the Repticon website and you should be able to find a list of vendors. Start there and check out their FB pages. For other expos, I've found a lot of vendors say "come see us at XXX" and then they'll post pictures of some of their stock. And then if I'm looking for something specific, I just message them and find out if they have it.

What I did find at Repticon was pretty cheap cork bark sold in bulk, Eco Earth, live feeders and other little things. At another expo I found an 8" acrylic (1/4") cube that just needs holes drilled and it was really cheap (I think $15). I've only been to three expos and they were all different. For me, Repticon was by far the biggest disappointment, but in other cities it's awesome. So, OKC just gets ripped off I think. haha

OH! It's coming back January here too. I'll give it a second chance haha.

newscorpionowner

Arachnopeon
I bet they sell all kinds of bulk items like supplies or feeders at these. As for vendor list, look on the site. The one coming near me has a few vendors that have Ts

MogiCorp

Arachnosquire
You said repticon in January, would this happen to be in Georgia? Im just curious as I'll be going to this and wondered what the vendors carry. As for your list, I have my eyes set for a G. Pulchra as well. If you're up for suggestions, I've heard Honduran curly hair are good for display, but that could just be biased opinion.
Going to the one in Florida, they are on the same days though.

Kitara

Arachnodemon
What are the odds the OP returns from the Expo with just a single tarantula? IMHO - I doubt it...lol
Oh no.... I was prepared. I had a list. I had a budget. I knew what my first, second, third choice was and definitely going to only get one.

I came back with 2 Ts and a mantis plus an enclosure that is too big for anything I have, two homemade cakes, and 6 jumping spider pictures (matted, but not framed).

Second expo... not making that mistake again. Took out cash, will stick to the budget! One T, an A. genic. Period. That's IT.

Came back with 3 Ts, 2 mantises, and a hedgehog. And the hotel had an ATM.

Third expo... my saving grace was that there were NO Ts at the third expo and no cute mammals either. There weren't even any delicious cakes. :rofl: My daughter beeeeeeged for a snake and/or crested gecko, but I hadn't researched so I wasn't ready.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
I'll be attending my first expo in February in Denver at the Merchandise Mart. I'm looking forward to going and seeing what is available.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
From my experience, a little bit of everything. You can get good deals on items such as breeding boxes, cork bark, decorations, etc, and of course spiders. Depending on where it's located, there can sometimes be a much greater variety than what you would see at a usual pet store at a cheaper price. Bring cash, since some vendors will only take cash. I also do this to set a price limit for myself (I'll say I'll only get one tarantula....and then I end up getting 3 instead!). Most of the vendors I've seen are reputable, but there are a few that seem a bit sketchy and mostly sell WC specimens. Your list of species looks like they would all make great second tarantulas. A. genics especially are really big and beautiful. Critter keepers can be good enclosures, most of my Ts are still juvies and that's what I prefer to use personally. It doesn't need to be fancy to be a good setup. Have fun and good luck!

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm lucky enough to have one with a large variety of slings. I saw at least 25 different species of slings. I also noticed a TON of A.seemani adults and sub adults for 15 to 35 bucks a piece. I actually just got a niece selection at the last show. Everything from c.elegans, gbb, Stirmi slings, etc.

MogiCorp

Arachnosquire
I’m not looking for a sling as I don’t feel comfortable enough to care for them as I’m just getting a handle on juvie/adults. I want the experience of seeing the adult colors come in but I don’t want an absolutely tiny tiny sling do y’all feel my struggle now?

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Raising most (if not all) s'lings is easy. Until about six years ago, I had never owned a tarantula s'ling then I received six at once as gifts. There was also a pumpkin patch large Can't recall the proper name for sure at the moment, too lazy to look it up. Colombia sp large, maybe...
Anyway, I raised them all to adulthood, save the pumpkin patch which matured male not too long after receiving it and it went the way of all mature males, a fast growing E. campestratus, who also matured male (but lived a couple of years after that) and an A. geniculate, which I lost to a bad moult when it was still in the juvie stage. I still have the remaining ones, which are still in the juvie/sub-adult stage with the exception of my LP, who is female and quite large.
Prior to those I had zero experience in raising s'lings. You should give it a try, get a more common one, T. albopilosum or perhaps an LP if you are comfortable with having a pretty large spider at the end. There has been a little debate over whether they are first ladder-rung spiders, simply due to the mechanical damage their fangs can do, but by the time that is a concern, you should be past the learning curve. They are easy to raise and they are cheap.

As to your original question, it has been answered better than I can offer. There has recently been a series of shows in my locale, but a fairly small venue. I missed the first one, bought one s'ling (C. marshalli) at the second, a Hadrurus arizonensis (Desert hairy scorpion) and at the most recent one held on the first of this month, two, a Nhandu chromatus and a C. darling. To me, going to a show and not purchasing something of interest almost seems to be defeating the purpose, but as pointed out, it is also a great opportunity to pick up gear, and often at decent prices.
I do intend to refrain from buying livestock at the next one, but simply due to space constraints. And I'm not sure that I will be able to keep my willpower intact.

Kitara

Arachnodemon
I do intend to refrain from buying livestock at the next one, but simply due to space constraints. And I'm not sure that I will be able to keep my willpower intact
:rofl::rofl: Our last expo was at the state fairgrounds so the term livestock made me laugh.

Apparently we have 3 expos that come around here about 3-4 times a year. If I didnt have to pay to get in, I would go to all of them. $40 (my daughter and I) is a bit too high for me to just browse. But, if I'm going for new Ts then that's my shipping cost (or that's how I rationalize lol.)

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Good luck T the expo. I hear lots of stories about good deals at expos, but the only thing thing I’ve ever found that was reasonable was cork bark. I’d say cork bark is not really worth the price of admission but you don’t know unless you go look.

I think results vary from location to location. The ones here usually just aren’t that great in my experience.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
:rofl::rofl: Our last expo was at the state fairgrounds so the term livestock made me laugh.
Well, I did consider a Holstein gigas at one of the expos...but the enclosure size consideration is too big for my limited space.
What did you think the "H" in 'H .gigas' stands for?
At least that's what the vendor told me what the spider was. And if you can't trust a vendor set up on a card table by the dumpster in back of the convention center, who can you trust? I find it remarkable that something that as a s'ling looks like a wolf spider can reach the size of a Volkswagen and develops the Holstein black and white markings is not more popular. That was the first example I have ever seen or even heard of.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron

Apparently we have 3 expos that come around here about 3-4 times a year. If I didnt have to pay to get in, I would go to all of them. $40 (my daughter and I) is a bit too high for me to just browse. But, if I'm going for new Ts then that's my shipping cost (or that's how I rationalize lol.)
The one that was at the Biltmore Hotel was honestly more worth my money than Repticon at the fairgrounds. Repticon continues to disappoint me.

But to answer your question, OP, it honestly depends on where you are. Here in OKC ours are so hit and miss, sometimes they're fantastic and vendors have slings, juvies, AND sexed adults but other times there's one table with inverts and they have maybe some WC A. seemanni. I've noticed members from larger cities tend to have better luck with expos.