What T's are "gentle giants"?

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
perosnally i would say that my 3" G. pulchripes is more psycho than my 8" L. parahybana....i have held my LP a few times, and so far havent even attempted to hold the G. pulchripes

SNAFU

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This, to me, is a classic case of a 'thread hijacking" - all the OP's opening post asked was which Ts are the gentle giants. In very short order, the thread became a polemic on handling.

Can we steer this back to the subject matter and leave the handling debate to other threads that deal specifically with that subject? ...

To the OP - G. pulchra is the way to go in my opinion. One drawback is that they seem to have a relatively slow growth rate, and I can attest to that from personal experience. My pulchra, which I acquired as a 3/4 inch sling, is a big little boy now, but nothing compared to the size of some of the adults I've seen. And he is very sweet - dumb as a pet rock - but sweet!
Yep on the pulchra, very docile & slow growth but that pretty much goes for all the Grammostola. Also, the OP didn't want anything that could "hurt" him. If you are tagged by any T it will hurt. Many Old World species have more potent venom but unless you have an allergy to wasp or bee stings, nothing to be frightened of. Just don't handle any & you will lower your chances for a bite to almost none__almost. ;)

Megan 03

Arachnopeon
if people want to handle, let them handle. If you don't want to handle, don't. If someone asks a question, either answer, or don't but pleeeaaase lay off the preaching against or even for handling. It's all personal preference.

---------- post added 08-06-2011 at 01:39 am ----------

I totally agree... Lets stay on topic, there is plenty of threads debating handling. Voice your opinion there!

sebeed

Arachnopeon
perosnally i would say that my 3" G. pulchripes is more psycho than my 8" L. parahybana....i have held my LP a few times, and so far havent even attempted to hold the G. pulchripes
lol sounds like we have the same pulchripes. mines about 4 or 5 inches and i wont even consider trying to handle her. shes a lot calmer than she was when we first put her in her tank from her shipping box but shes still pretty jumpy and is crazy for food, i dont dare put my fingers in there lest i get bit.....I definitly just forgot what i wanted to contribute to this thread :/
oh well, id say try a few LP slings and see how you like them. They're super cheap and are supposed to grow fast. But, as always, remember that even the most docile species will have some specimens that are just crazy anyways - like my cheeka ;P

Just because people suggest you not handle does not mean they are preaching. If you're sick of reading those posts...don't read them. It's not rocket science.
I cant help myself here - if you think nobody should handle their tarantulas then stop reading threads that involve handling tarantulas. It's not rocket science.

JadeWilliamson

Arachnoknight
Though jumpy and a bit defensive in familiar territory (i.e., their hidey hole), B vagans is extremely handleable. My female is about 5.5" and my male is over 7". That's almost as big as my hand! I can't see why anyone would need a bigger T than that. I won't be getting one for a while, that's for sure. At least not until I see my female drop a sac and my MM moves on.

Annyyywaaayy..

+1 to L parahybana. From what I've heard they're not too nasty. I really want a G pulchripes myself. They're pretty cool.

---------- Post added 08-06-2011 at 02:52 PM ----------

.....I definitly just forgot what i wanted to contribute to this thread :/
Welcome to my world!!!

DannyH

Arachnobaron
So I'm going to get either L parahybana or L klugi. This would be my 2nd T, and I want something I can show off because I only have a P. scrofa now, and shes little, but very cute. Thanks guys!

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I cant help myself here - if you think nobody should handle their tarantulas then stop reading threads that involve handling tarantulas. It's not rocket science.
Where in this thread did he express that nobody should handle their tarantulas? He expressed that if you don't handle a tarantula, then you shouldn't have to anything to worry about. And though some people may disagree with that statement, that statement conveys a completely different message than one stating to never handle a tarantula. Its not rocket science.

---------- Post added 08-06-2011 at 02:06 PM ----------

So I'm going to get either L parahybana or L klugi. This would be my 2nd T, and I want something I can show off because I only have a P. scrofa now, and shes little, but very cute. Thanks guys!
Their disposition may be regarded as gentle, but for many their urticating hairs are far from gentle. I had an L. parahybana sling run up the white side of my forearm leaving an immediate rash in its wake.

demonanjel117

Arachnopeon
Where in this thread did he express that nobody should handle their tarantulas? He expressed that if you don't handle a tarantula, then you shouldn't have to anything to worry about. And though some people may disagree with that statement, that statement conveys a completely different message than one stating to never handle a tarantula. Its not rocket science.

---------- Post added 08-06-2011 at 02:06 PM ----------

Their disposition may be regarded as gentle, but for many their urticating hairs are far from gentle. I had an L. parahybana sling run up the white side of my forearm leaving an immediate rash in its wake.
Seriously I've never felt urticating hairs (but Ive had em flicked at me lol) Just reading that made my arm itch and quiver! And to the OP Ive only had one T EVER but from all the reading Ive done, Id say go with the Pulchra!

ArkGullwing

Arachnosquire
Just because people suggest you not handle does not mean they are preaching. If you're sick of reading those posts...don't read them. It's not rocket science.
S'all good! Just fyi, I wasn't really targeting my initial comment at your type of comment. More at Darth Invictus's post.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I only handle mine when they go to escape (minus the pokies). Mainly, the Theraphosa, Lasiodora, and Acanthoscurria. They're all gentle and all at 5.5"+ each. They may be exception to rules, I know some people who've had regalis who were handleable and real calm.

But I'd say Lasiodora parabayhana & G. pulchrips for general decent behavior. They might use hairs, but they prob wont bite.

Le Wasp

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'd have to disagree with a lot of the votes for L. parahybana. The ones I've had definitely aren't aggressive or defensive, but instead are over zealous in what they consider prey. In other words, they'll try to eat anything that moves, no matter how big it is. Water dishes, water, dirt, tongs and hands are all fair game in their eyes. Other people seem to have better luck, so it probably varies from T to T. On the other hand, the urticating hairs do NOT vary, so those are unavoidable with this species. Man, every time mine decide to kick hairs at their new roach companion, my arms start itching.

Instead, I would vote for G. pulchripes. They get quite large and have a nice husky look to them that I like. I've only seen one G. pulchripes that was defensive; and that was only during one of its instars. For most of its life, it was a nice fanged kitten.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
"In general", there are several species who fit the 'gentle giant' description. Not all individuals of those species read the proverbial book. I don't handle my Ts as a rule, though I have handled most of them on one occasion or another during unpacking, rehousing, maintenance, for medical purposes, inadvertently, etc. I have two 5 - 6" LP sub-adults, sac mates that I raised from 0.25", who would just as soon bite someone as look at them. Failing a bite, they will kick hairs. I would sooner attempt to handle my OBTs and H. livs than my LPs. Not all spiders are created equal...

Tarantulas, regardless of species, never 'get used' to being handled. They are just not hardwired that way. Individuals either tolerate handling, or they don't. Some may fall into the 'sometimes can be handled' category, depending on weather, molt cycle, etc.

Tarantula venom is not bee or wasp venom. There is absolutely no comparison or relation between a tarantula bite and a bee or wasp sting. Different proteins, different modes of action.

The OP should go with whatever species he wants to try, based on general species reputation, and see how the individual turns out. If it doesn't tolerate handling, then it can be sold, traded or kept as a display animal, then try another.

sebeed

Arachnopeon

oh....:bomb:(there appears to be a lack of embarrassed smileys so this will have to do)
i was reading a couple other threads too and must have gotten catfishrod69 confused with someone else that was having a conniption about it >.< sorry catfishrod69!!

i had an epic fail moment....its not rocket science:sarcasm: lol

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
hey its no problem...i dont have any arguments with people handling their T's....i hold some of mine...although i did see a video of an idiot on youtube handling a few hot T's, one was a very fasst and fiesty H. mac....wanted him to get tagged bad....also seen a tard who thought that his deathstalkers were calm and held 5 in a row....one of these days he wont be holding them anymore...

oh....:bomb:(there appears to be a lack of embarrassed smileys so this will have to do)
i was reading a couple other threads too and must have gotten catfishrod69 confused with someone else that was having a conniption about it >.< sorry catfishrod69!!

i had an epic fail moment....its not rocket science:sarcasm: lol